• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 3:30:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 367
  Print  
Author Topic: So what have you read lately  (Read 964275 times)
rebelgirl
"The only and thoroughbred lady" --Joe Hill said so.

"A hardened English teacher"--Disgruntled Student

« Reply #3045 on: April 16, 2012, 4:46:15 PM »

I was greatly disappointed by The Dressmaker of Khair Khana.

Spork, why?  I was thinking about picking it up, but your post is giving me pause. 

I blame all of our problems on that frikkin' Timmy. Lassie should have left his lazy @$$ in the well.
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a
Distinguished Senior Member

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #3046 on: April 16, 2012, 4:56:18 PM »

I am about halfway through DFW's (Pulitzer-snubbed) The Pale King. I've also got some Raymond Carver going on (hooray), and James Franco (bleh - cute but can't write).

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
dr_alcott

« Reply #3047 on: April 16, 2012, 5:05:42 PM »

I am about halfway through DFW's (Pulitzer-snubbed) The Pale King. I've also got some Raymond Carver going on (hooray), and James Franco (bleh - cute but can't write).

I'd like to read The Pale King someday--definitely not during the semester, though. What do you think of it, TZ?

I can't believe there's no Pulitzer winner for fiction this year.

You must be your own snow, Dr_Alcott.  You must lift, and sparkle, and then melt away.

I love everyone here!
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #3048 on: April 16, 2012, 8:15:17 PM »

I am a few chapters into The Hemingses of Monticello: An American Family by Annette Gordon-Reed. There are some good insights but damn it takes her a lot of words to say things.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
prof_smartypants
Treasure-pilferin' and grog-swillin'

You're getting hosed by small minds with no game.

« Reply #3049 on: April 16, 2012, 8:25:39 PM »

I am a few chapters into The Hemingses of Monticello: An American Family by Annette Gordon-Reed. There are some good insights but damn it takes her a lot of words to say things.

A colleague of mine just started reading this - she's trying to get permission to do some analysis of the trees on the estate.

tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #3050 on: April 16, 2012, 9:53:11 PM »

I'd like to read The Pale King someday--definitely not during the semester, though. What do you think of it, TZ?

I can't believe there's no Pulitzer winner for fiction this year.

I like it, although as always with DFW, as much as I love him, I worry that I am not reading closely enough. I tend to prefer his nonfiction -- but I'd recommend this. It's easier going than IJ, and has some heartbreakingly beautiful phrases. I'm also very interested in thinking through how his editor put it together, and what other configurations DFW might have imagined for the book.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
spork
If you are reading this, I am naked.

« Reply #3051 on: April 16, 2012, 10:08:29 PM »

Spork, why?  I was thinking about picking it up, but your post is giving me pause. 

The writing style is insipid. The account lacks crucial details. I find it hard to believe the author is a journalist with a Harvard MBA.

If you want something of quality from this genre, I highly recommend Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo.

I've given up on Civilization by Niall Ferguson. His argument, if it can be called that, is incoherent and unpersuasive. I'm wondering if the historical anecdotes that compose the book were compiled by Ferguson's graduate students.

a.k.a. gum-chewing monkey in a Tufts University jacket

"There are no bad ideas, only great ideas that go horribly wrong."

"Please do not force people who are exhausted to take medication for hallucinations." -- Memo from the Chair, Department of White Privilege Studies, Fiork University
rebelgirl
"The only and thoroughbred lady" --Joe Hill said so.

"A hardened English teacher"--Disgruntled Student

« Reply #3052 on: April 16, 2012, 11:21:57 PM »

The writing style is insipid. The account lacks crucial details. I find it hard to believe the author is a journalist with a Harvard MBA.

If you want something of quality from this genre, I highly recommend Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo.

I've given up on Civilization by Niall Ferguson. His argument, if it can be called that, is incoherent and unpersuasive. I'm wondering if the historical anecdotes that compose the book were compiled by Ferguson's graduate students.

Thank you!  I did some "read inside" in Boo's book on Amazon and ordered it.  It sounds like what I'd hoped would power Mukherjee's 2011 novel Miss New India, which I had so much wanted to admire, but couldn't.

I blame all of our problems on that frikkin' Timmy. Lassie should have left his lazy @$$ in the well.
mickeymantle

« Reply #3053 on: April 17, 2012, 7:40:41 PM »

I just mentioned two of my favorites on a thread concerning this year's lack of a fiction Pultizer Prixe, but I will add some more since I haven't contributed to this thread in a long time:

Laura Hillebrand's Alive--I liked Seabiscuit, but this thoroughly gripping and moving book justifies her reputation.

Edith Wharton's The Custom of the Country--I finally got around to reading this book after Jonathan Franken's review of Wharton's work in The New Yorker.  A witty, entertaining look at divorce, very interesting because of Wharton's own experiences.

Thomas Mallon's Watergate: A Novel--Like anyone who grew up during the early 1970s, I thought I'd had enough of this situation.  But Mallon provides an interesting, if fictitious, angle on this scandal.

I am now too distinguished a forum member.
llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #3054 on: April 17, 2012, 7:48:23 PM »

I've just started Daughters of the Witching Hill by Mary Sharratt.  It's a novel about a true witch-hunting event in Lancashire, and it's delicious.

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
prof_smartypants
Treasure-pilferin' and grog-swillin'

You're getting hosed by small minds with no game.

« Reply #3055 on: April 17, 2012, 7:48:54 PM »

I had to give up on The Forsyte Saga. This semester is being a b!tch, and I just couldn't dedicate the time needed to get into the story. I'm going to try it again once the summer begins.

I am enjoying A Discovery of Witches. I don't normally like witchy supernatural stuff, but this is just the level of light-hearted ease that I need right now.

I have two non-fiction books on my immediate to-read list:

The Warmth of Other Suns and The Promised Land - one new and one more classic work on the subject of the "Great Migration" of African Americans during the first half of the 20th century. I just need some time to dedicate to them.

mickeymantle

« Reply #3056 on: April 18, 2012, 10:01:15 AM »

Galsworthy can be trying, and a bit dry, but he is worthwhile. 

I liked the first book you mentioned on the Great Migration and may use it in one of my upper-level courses.

I am now too distinguished a forum member.
bioteacher
chocolate loving

Confused and sad. Or happy. I'm not sure...

« Reply #3057 on: April 18, 2012, 11:10:05 AM »

I am enjoying A Discovery of Witches. I don't normally like witchy supernatural stuff, but this is just the level of light-hearted ease that I need right now.

There is a sequel due out soon, too.

Lifesaving dream crusher and member of the Real vs. Zeal club.
arizona

« Reply #3058 on: April 18, 2012, 12:18:53 PM »

I just finished Gary Schmidt's YA novel Okay for Now, which was absolutely lovely, and Eileen Myles's Inferno: A Poet's Novel, which I admire but didn't exactly enjoy getting through. She did, however, have a chapter on her youthful obsession with Hart Crane which brought back fond memories of my own youthful obsession with Hart Crane.

Just started Michael Cunningham's By Nightfall and it's giving me a little deja vu. I can't decide if it's similar to something else I read recently or if little bits of the reviews I read became lodged in my brain.
marlborough

« Reply #3059 on: April 20, 2012, 11:38:47 PM »

« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 11:40:02 PM by marlborough » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 367
  Print  

Jump to: