• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 7:02:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 791 792 [793] 794 795 ... 1011
  Print  
Author Topic: Job market check-in thread  (Read 2176820 times)
petunia621

« Reply #11880 on: April 17, 2012, 6:16:44 PM »

Sigh. Was told to expect a call Monday. Still no call.
Losing hope.

You get to keep hope for at least a week after the supposed deadline!

Thanks. I'm trying! What a roller coaster.
data5112

« Reply #11881 on: April 17, 2012, 9:29:12 PM »

scion and zyzzx, sorry for the bad news.

petunia, hope you get some good news soon. Waiting is hard!

litdawg, that seems unfair for some reason. Good luck to you.

Well, I had an interview and I think it went well. Actually, I was told it went well, and I've made it to the next step. Now I'm nervous because I might get a job offer soon; hopefully, the impending birth of my first child won't affect this outcome, but we shall see! I do have eggs in a few other baskets, so I might not be out of luck if this promising prospect falls flat.

Mr. Potato modeled eight thousand tacky blindfolds on Etsy.
doctorladybug

« Reply #11882 on: April 18, 2012, 6:07:01 PM »

My situation:  I am already in a tt position, but I dislike my department and the quality of education my colleagues are willing to give students, and I'm increasingly dissatisfied with the university and the area.  I came here b/c of a 2-body problem a few years back, but now that I'm divorced, there is no reason for me to stay. 

I wasn't planning on doing a search until this coming fall, but I happened to see an ad posted that looked like a good opportunity.  I applied.  I got a phone interview.  I did well.  I got called for a visit.  I'm going. 

Does anyone think it is "fishy" that they didn't start looking until mid-spring (posted during my spring break)?  I can't help but think it's a sign of something wrong there.  If anyone has suggestions for questions to ask them that would help me find any problems with the university, I would appreciate it. 

That said, 1 application=1 interview.  If 1 interview=1 job offer, I'm going to die.  I wouldn't know what to do with my good fortune. 
glowdart
that's a thing that I keep in the back of my head
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #11883 on: April 18, 2012, 6:36:46 PM »

Does anyone think it is "fishy" that they didn't start looking until mid-spring (posted during my spring break)?  I can't help but think it's a sign of something wrong there.  If anyone has suggestions for questions to ask them that would help me find any problems with the university, I would appreciate it.  

I don't think it's fishy, but that might just be me.  It could be that they're replacing someone who didn't make tenure, left for another job or retired and announced it late.  Or, it could be that they were waiting for fall 2012 tuition deposits to approve the hire.  Or, they were waiting on the state legislature or some other budgeting agency.  Or, another department had a failed search and the line was redistributed.  Or an alum endowed a chair/ line and thus a TT line is open. 

You could always just ask about the history of the line. 
seniorscholar

« Reply #11884 on: April 18, 2012, 6:39:08 PM »

When, a few years ago, the only well-qualified person in one very popular sub-field died unexpectedly in December, we managed to persuade the Dean to let us run a search in the spring (but it took until February to get everything approved to run the ad . . . and to e-mail a zillion friends elsewhere looking asking them to tell people about the opening).

Though in this budget picture, it doesn't have to be that drastic. I'm pretty sure two or three departments in the College of Arts and Sciences in my large university this year have been permission to hire this spring after another department or two had failed searches: this would not have happened five years ago (the Dean would have saved the line for the failed-search department to add to its searches next year) but the panic of "if the money isn't all spent/promised by June 30 it will go away never to come back" has struck.

I hope it works for you!
porcupine
Exceedingly Prickly

« Reply #11885 on: April 18, 2012, 7:06:12 PM »

I don't think it's fishy, but that might just be me.  It could be that they're replacing someone who didn't make tenure, left for another job or retired and announced it late.  Or, it could be that they were waiting for fall 2012 tuition deposits to approve the hire.  Or, they were waiting on the state legislature or some other budgeting agency.  Or, another department had a failed search and the line was redistributed.  Or an alum endowed a chair/ line and thus a TT line is open. 

You could always just ask about the history of the line. 

I agree: institutions who do not lose tenure lines when someone resigns sometimes have discretion to begin hiring to replace someone who left/died immediately. So, a search done this late in spring is not necessarily fishy. There is nothing wrong in asking about the history of the line.

ejb_123

« Reply #11886 on: April 18, 2012, 10:20:35 PM »

Well, after trying to get a higher ed. teaching position for a year now, I decided I better start applying for high school teaching positions again after a year of not teaching high school. Thus far, every district I have applied to has turned me down without even an interview. It looks very clear to me that no one wants me to be a teacher, not at the high school level, and not at the post-secondary level. I think the writing is on the wall and I really need to find a new career. I wish I knew what the hell I wanted to do besides teach. I've got over 30 years of work ahead of me yet, and no idea what I want to do with all those years.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 10:21:12 PM by ejb_123 » Logged
bcohlan1

« Reply #11887 on: April 19, 2012, 1:30:23 AM »

I've also tried applying to a few high school jobs this year.  These were private schools of the sort that are eager to hire PhDs.  No interest at all.

"ASSUMING I EXIST, I MAY OR MAY NOT BE DOING OKAY" -T-Rex
petunia621

« Reply #11888 on: April 19, 2012, 9:34:50 AM »

Well, after trying to get a higher ed. teaching position for a year now, I decided I better start applying for high school teaching positions again after a year of not teaching high school. Thus far, every district I have applied to has turned me down without even an interview. It looks very clear to me that no one wants me to be a teacher, not at the high school level, and not at the post-secondary level. I think the writing is on the wall and I really need to find a new career. I wish I knew what the hell I wanted to do besides teach. I've got over 30 years of work ahead of me yet, and no idea what I want to do with all those years.

ejb - I sympathize with you. It took me four years of applying to get in full time, and my situation isn't exactly what I'd hoped for! I was able to adjunct through it, to beef up my experience and make contacts, and i think that helped. (I was also stuck in a soul killing, non-teaching, dead end "financial" "services" job.) I don't know where you live, but in my state, we've had public school teacher lay offs, so that's not the easiest road either.
It's not you. It's really tough out there. i hope things look up for you soon.
petunia621

« Reply #11889 on: April 20, 2012, 8:32:03 AM »

Phone interview scheduled!!!
scampster

« Reply #11890 on: April 20, 2012, 8:32:31 AM »

Yay!

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
anisogamy
Inordinately pleased to be a

« Reply #11891 on: April 20, 2012, 8:56:30 AM »

Good luck!  I think all the spring activity on this thread over the past few months is a strong reminder to keep on applying as the late-release job ads come out.

A little compassion is better than kicking people when they are down, regardless of who has suffered more and longer or whose bad job market has the biggest dick.
leobloom
Where Planted

What kind of man reads CHE Fora?

« Reply #11892 on: April 20, 2012, 10:57:03 AM »

Wow, there's still life out there...
westcoastgirl

« Reply #11893 on: April 20, 2012, 11:25:46 AM »

Fingers crossed!

Quote from: cgfunmathguy
We're just cyborgs standing in the way of their dreams.
midcareerprof

« Reply #11894 on: April 22, 2012, 1:56:06 AM »

I'm still waiting to hear - 5+ weeks after campus interview.  Haven't quite given up hope, but have made lots of plans at the old job.  Spouse and I debate pros and cons of optimism on a daily basis.
Pages: 1 ... 791 792 [793] 794 795 ... 1011
  Print  

Jump to: