• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 2:12:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I PASSED! How I survived...  (Read 18142 times)
sylvie
Most sylvan

« on: August 04, 2006, 4:56:20 PM »

To all who are slogging in the trenches, it  can be done!  Yesterday I defended my dissertation and I am Dr. Sylvie now.  YAY!!  This is after four years of working full-time (as a full-time instructor, not a GA or TA), going to school full-time, and writing my dissertation in about 12 weeks (not including data collection, which took place over a semester).

How I survived:

Emotional support from family and friends, right up until I started collecting data and then writing the dissertation.  NOBODY understood (except fellow grad students) what I was going through.

Support from my cyberfriends on this forum!  THANK YOU TO EVERYONE for the advice and good wishes.  For those of you who are only lurkers, take a chance and post.  The connection you make with others is worth the occasional snide remark.

Getting plenty of sleep (8 hours is non-negotiable for me, and it makes me more productive and SAVES time).

Taking many trips to the vending machines down the hall from my office (I'm not as good about healthy diet as I am about sleeping well). For future reference, a real Coke and a handful of Skittles is as good as speed, although you will crash later.

BEING ORGANIZED!!  I can't tell you how important this is.  Develop some organizational habits for your materials right from the beginning.  Get a system! Whatever works for you.  I found that the old-fashioned method of using bibliography cards worked for me, although I did use RefWorks as well and I've heard good things about End Note.

Making myself visible.  I made a point of visiting profs during office hours, never missing class, and attending grad student functions.  My connections with the faculty made my life much easier in selecting a committee.

Taking walks!  I will go outside, walk away from my office for five or ten minutes, and then turn around and walk back.  It helps!

Reading Boice's Advice for New Faculty Members (Nihil Nimus).  I had to read this for a class and it's WONDERFUL!!!  Buy it and read it even if you are not a new faculty member.  It's useful for doc students and anyone who is teaching, writing, working on committees, or conducting research.

Thanks again to everyone for your advice, positive feedback, and kind words.

-Sylvie

larryc
Troll Proof
Distinguished Senior Member

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 5:18:52 PM »

Congratulations, doctor.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
betty_p
Pissed off and wistful

Ooh! Piece o' candy.

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 5:20:57 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS, Dr. Sylvie!

I remember my defense day as one of the happiest of my life. I hope it was for you, too.

I think I'll drink champagne in your honor tonight (thanks for the excuse!)!

Your advice is excellent--although I would add, on the "get organized" point, that it's not always easy to gauge how best to go about this early on. I didn't figure it out until my third chapter--but once I did, things went much more smoothly.

Congratulations, again and again!

But I'm not bitter.
tenuretracker

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 5:24:49 PM »

Congratulations, Dr. Sylvie!!

I'll  keep you in mind when it's my turn in May!! The very best wishes to you on the rest of your adventure.

AP
figee

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 7:18:48 PM »

Congratulations Dr Sylvie!  I'm delighted for you. 

"Eating at the Italian restaurant was a mistake." - student explaining how food poisoning was contracted while on fieldwork in Orissa.
dale1
Eventually, if you hang around long enough, they'll make you a

My mother-in-law would point out God's gray hairs.

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 4:13:42 PM »

Sylvie,

Congratulations.  May you experience smashing success in your future endeavors.

I hope to earn those three little letters in some years.  Need to get admitted, first, but then, onward and upward!

Dale (original)
midwest_abd

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 6:35:47 PM »

Congrats, Sylvie!
zenprof

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 6:43:03 PM »

Sylvie, this is just great--way to go---and thank you for coming back and letting us know, and for sharing the good advice to help others.
z
tt_wannabe

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 4:34:13 PM »

Dr. Sylvie:

My most heart-felt congratulations. Thanks for letting us know and for adding your tips. I have not yet begun the journey you just completed but will keep in mind your points.

Thanks again.

-tt_wannabe

Counting *chimes* as citations.
_hoban_

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006, 9:31:30 PM »

Congrats Sylvie! Isn't it amazing to be finished and passed?

Just this life, living me
francie_
The Really Cheerful

The Voice of Reason

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 1:24:50 AM »

Congratulations!  Best wishes in wrapping the whole thing up too!

I like your devious nature, Francie.
iomhaigh

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 1:32:48 AM »

Congrats!  I had been wondering about you, my cyber-comrade in cram-writing this summer -- I'm glad it went well and hope you are having some much-deserved time off (or perhaps playing a game or two of Civilization?)

I am the very model of a modern major general.
sylvie
Most sylvan

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 3:58:27 PM »

Congrats!  I had been wondering about you, my cyber-comrade in cram-writing this summer -- I'm glad it went well and hope you are having some much-deserved time off (or perhaps playing a game or two of Civilization?)

Thanks to everyone who has been so supportive!  It feels GREAT to be done, although I am now gearing up for my first year in a tenure-track position.

Yes, iomhaigh, I DID play a few games of Civ III this past weekend.  I have the fourth version too, but I haven't gotten the hang of it yet.

For those of you who asked, my defense went pretty well.  I tried to enjoy it but was very nervous.  There was some intense questioning, but actually not as bad as the questioning that followed job talks when I was on the market.  After the defense, my boyfriend and I went out for sushi.  Then I went home and crashed.  All I can say now is...whew!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: