• October 30, 2014
October 31, 2014, 12:56:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Kalamazoo (International Congress on Medieval Studies), May 10-13, 2012  (Read 25632 times)
bibliothecula
Academic ronin
Distinguished Senior Member

like Bunnicula, only with books

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2012, 6:09:53 PM »

Thank you all for the first-timers' advice! I'm happy I can pack flats, and sad to miss the dance.

And the doodle calendar is cool. Maybe Friday lunch or coffee? I don't have a smartphone, just so you know--if things get scheduled last minute and I don't get the news, it's not because I'm blowing you all off. :)

I came. I saw. I cited.
merce
strange attractor

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 12:08:58 AM »

It looks like lunch Friday is good for everyone who has  said they want to meet.

If you wanna hang out with MOI and the other cool kids of the fora send me a PM.

Ack.
My talk is in .... I can't think about that or I'll need my smelling salts.

spammer 
Profuse gift offerings to garnish your day.
hegemony

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 12:56:29 AM »

How do we find each other at Friday lunch?

Tragedy tomorrow, comedy tonight.
merce
strange attractor

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 1:36:28 AM »

Well I may be fine with the cafeteria but I can tell you RIGHT NOW I am not wearing no stinking blue triangle rhinocerous around the thousands of people who may recognize it.

Something a little bit more discrete and/or flattering would be nice.

And I think I can meet off-campus too if that's preferred.

spammer 
simon71688

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 6:00:12 AM »

beacon of hope as I stagger to the end of the term,
lenniel
Unqualified to be a

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 8:25:48 AM »

Friday lunch sounds great, and I also will not wear a blue rhinoceros triangle.  I'll be coming from my panel that morning, so will look somewhat respectable, which means a lot of black, most likely.

So you can identify me, I am happy to PM my name, wear a red rose, or whatever is easiest for the group. As I am a fairly nondescript, middle-aged woman with long fuzzy hair and glasses, I tend to blend in.  Until I open my mouth.  I'll apologise in advance.

Meeting on or off campus is fine as I will have a car and can provide rides.

Looking forward to seeing you!

"Be drinkable. Your choice is fish."
- Henry Rollins
mended_drum
Potnia theron and

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 8:59:06 AM »

My Friday lunch just got booked, alas.  But pm me if you want to lift the veil on my pseudonym in case we run into one another.

"dr. mended_drum don't give a sh!t; she will chew me up like a cobra."
hegemony

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2012, 6:28:53 PM »

There really are literally about 4000 people at each lunch, as well as two separate entrances.  Do we have a genuine plan, or -- ?  Because I think there's zero chance we will find each other by accident.  We could say something like "Meet at the sofa just inside the entrance to the Harvey-Garneau side at 12:00."  I'm assuming the Harvey-Garneau side has a sofa.  They all seem to have a sofa.  I'm saying 12:00 instead of 11:45 because I have a session miles away that ends at 11:30.  Or is there some other master plan I have missed?

merce
strange attractor

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2012, 7:13:46 PM »

Harvey-Garneau side of Goldsworth Valley II near the entrance into the building near couches if they exist (as opposed to the hall that goes into the door with a line) at noon sounds good to me.

If I were more on the ball I could say what I'll be wearing. It's more than likely going to be black because, well, isn't it always?

spammer 
lenniel
Unqualified to be a

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2012, 9:25:53 PM »

Probably 12:00pm is better, if we are meeting at Goldsworth Valley II on the Harvey-Garneau side. I'll be hiking over from Bernhard.  It's likely I'll also be wearing black and grey, possibly with a red scarf, but it depends on what I remember to pack.  I'll have my ID tag accessible, as merce and bibliothecula know my secret identity.

If we decide the cafeteria is too intense, we can always grab some things and picnic, weather permitting.

Perhaps we can find another time with you, too, mended-drum?

- Henry Rollins
hegemony

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 1:25:25 AM »

I will definitely be wearing black, but it sounds as if so will 3500 other people.

Maybe we need a secret signal greeting, something that brings to mind the Fora, like "Do you think I should call the search committee? Just with one little question?"

mended_drum
Potnia theron and

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 6:08:59 AM »

"Staples or paperclips?"

lenniel
Unqualified to be a

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 8:13:45 AM »

"Cake or pie"?

- Henry Rollins
bibliothecula
Academic ronin

like Bunnicula, only with books

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 1:23:44 PM »

Probably 12:00pm is better, if we are meeting at Goldsworth Valley II on the Harvey-Garneau side. I'll be hiking over from Bernhard.  It's likely I'll also be wearing black and grey, possibly with a red scarf, but it depends on what I remember to pack.  I'll have my ID tag accessible, as merce and bibliothecula know my secret identity.

If we decide the cafeteria is too intense, we can always grab some things and picnic, weather permitting.

Perhaps we can find another time with you, too, mended-drum?

This sounds great. I'll probably also be wearing something black. ;) I'll have my ID tag on, too.

I came. I saw. I cited.
mended_drum
Potnia theron and

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2012, 7:04:34 PM »

Made it safely.  Bilbo's.  Wine hour.  Already feeling sorry for non-medievalists.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: