• October 31, 2014

Chronicle Forums

October 31, 2014, 10:04:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 09:55:50 PM 
Started by pollinate - Last post by dr_know
helicopter

on: Today at 09:55:12 PM 
Started by tortugaphd - Last post by johnr
But what value is "keeping it fresh"?  It's only "fresh" for a short time anyway.  If you have plenty of other stuff in the pipeline, as you should, it won't matter that an article takes a while to come out.  My view is that writing an article is a lot of work no matter what, so you might as well get maximum mileage from it by placing it in the best journal possible.  Who knows when you'll be aiming at a year-long fellowship, a grant, or a promotion with more money?  Top journals are always helpful for any of those.  And what will the various reviewers think if you slack off?  "Oh, here's one who used to be publishing in the best places, but I guess recently there's been a decline in the quality of the work..."

Not always true.  I'm in a highly applied STEM field. Practitioners in the field are always asking to see our our data and results (preferably in a published, peer reviewed form).  A two year wait after acceptance would be unthinkable.  Then again, the top journals in my field, for the most part, have very fast turnarounds once accepted precisely for that reason.

on: Today at 09:55:11 PM 
Started by voxprincipalis - Last post by dr_alcott
You just go ahead and try to talk all science-y to MY friends. You'll get schooled.

on: Today at 09:54:04 PM 
Started by mouseman - Last post by dr_know
One of the weirdest things to me about my career is not knowing what to do with my time.

For the last ten years, I've trained myself to think about issues related to my academic career in any free time, knowing that the job market would be tight and any spare minute of work might make the difference between success and failure.

Now, I have absolutely no reason to think about my awesome job unless I'm actually there. I don't know what to do with myself. I kind of see why so many people in my new industry work 12 hour days, even though we by no means need to; the work is interesting and fun (much more so than, say, video games, or anything but a first-rate novel), and unless you have some compelling other thing to do it may often be the most attractive option. I keep making myself not work more than eight hours on general principle, but damn if it isn't tempting, especially with all the free food and drinks and ping pong and board games.

Keep rubbing it in, why don't you?

Seriously though, congratulations.  I'm glad you're enjoying your new career.  You also bring up an interesting point that I hadn't considered.

on: Today at 09:52:45 PM 
Started by prytania3 - Last post by pareadocs
Paddington, we only had about 30 here and that's with the porch light on and pumpkins carved.  Last year was about 40, but many years ago that number was in the 150's.  I also think it's the weather (40 degrees with rain) but that never stopped me when I was young enough to trick-or-treat.

It's now doing that weather thing that starts with "s" and ends with "w".  It's a good thing we have extra candy left over.  I need as much chocolate as I can get right now!  Happy Halloween!

Friday
Meeting #1
Meeting #2
Lunch with office mate
Meeting #3
Meeting #4

Throw pass out candy at to trick-or-treaters
Data stuff
Find & send that list
Email R about abstract

Research
Dino: coding in progress
Wilma: data collection in progress
Casper: data collection still in progress

Comps: lit search,  outline,  send outline to Dr. X
Conference 1: pay conference fee before Jan deadline,  travel grant 1,  travel grant 2
FavConference: write abstract 1,  submit abstract 1,  abstract 2? (if data collected in time)
Sometime soon: Schedule ophthalmologist appointment,  flu shot (Nov 4, 5, or 6?)

on: Today at 09:51:29 PM 
Started by boethius - Last post by dr_know
Oh on and on, and on and on.  My cypher keeps moving like a rolling stone.

on: Today at 09:39:52 PM 
Started by see_wolf - Last post by vhagar
malted barley

on: Today at 09:38:11 PM 
Started by not_a_gradstudent1 - Last post by dr_know
I understand the system completely, but think it's confusing, pointless, and not a good idea.  At all.

I don't think the total points system is confusing.  I think putting a D on a paper in order to tell a student that he/she is on track for an A because they have about 99% is extremely confusing.  Or did I read that all wrong?

I can see DrBrt's point here.  Presumably, the system has been explained in great detail.  I was not clear that DrBrt wrote "D" on the paper; perhaps it was something like "If you do no more work now you have a D in the course" or "Total Points To Date: 620," which the student can see from the syllabus is a D.  I don't think it's too much to expect than when the professor writes "Total Points To Date" that the student should understand the difference between that and "Current grade."

Once she explained it, I understood.  But she didn't explain it well at first.  She may have been clearer in person.

on: Today at 09:37:11 PM 
Started by voxprincipalis - Last post by southerntransplant
I truly, really, do love you all.

But when you say that you either won't apply, or regret applying, for jobs in my state because of some wingnuts, it makes me really sad.

Because you would be missing so much, and due to an opinion that is a ill-informed as that of any wingnuts.

on: Today at 09:35:24 PM 
Started by bestwptheme - Last post by bestwptheme
Hello everyone, Premium WordPress Themes Blog collected over 50 Best WordPress Directory Theme which  is professional, completely responsive, hightly customizable. All theme  is compatible with  job board, car dealership, real estate, business  website, service and other directly listing websites. I hope that this  article with help you choise a best theme for your website. Plz dont  forget like and share if its helpful. Thanks so much!
And now, we have TOP over 50 WordPress Directory Themes
Vantage Directory WordPress Theme

Vantage Directory Theme is the most popular business directory  theme base on WordPress. Its powerful, robust, and easy to use. This  theme is completely responsive which means it scales perfectly on  evert devices like PC, Laptop, Tablet, Mobile,
 Theme features

• Simple: You can install and use easy.
  • Rating and Reviews System included
  • Advanced Search
  • Social Integration
  • Google Map Integration
  • SEO Friendly
  • 100% Responsive Design
  • Monetize Your Site
  • Single Listing Details Page
  • Flexible, Powerful Pricing Plans
  • Search Filtering
  • etc
    DirectoryS Listing WordPress Theme

DirectoryS theme is a clean, 100% responsive design for Directory and Listings Theme for WordPress.
  Classiads Classified Ads WordPress Theme

The ClassiAds WordPress Theme  is a Premium Classified WordPress theme, super flexible. It has a fully  responsive design. It is Built with HTML5 and CSS3 Techonology.With  only 48$ you can get a professional, responsive, clean theme and better  for SEO.

Directory

Directory is a Super Premium Vantage child theme. Its very flexible and has a fully responsive flat and clean design.
A lot of thoughts and care were put into Directory making it a pleasure to use.
Its easy to customize via theme option to have a unique look & feel, with dozens of features and options.
And more other Responsive Wordpress Theme Directory in wpcong.com. You can view detail it

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10