• June 28, 2016

Chronicle Forums

June 28, 2016, 2:05:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 01:40:30 am 
Started by Peter19 - Last post by Peter19
Tks so much, dracula and jimtheprof! :)

Very helpful! You guys give me some confidence in this course...

on: Today at 01:40:23 am 
Started by kash8883 - Last post by kash8883
title-Overseas Education Consultant             url-http://www.leafedu.com/

on: Today at 01:36:23 am 
Started by Peter19 - Last post by Peter19
If figuring out what articles to assign is your problem, get a text for the subject and assign the articles discussed in the chapters.  Let the author of a reputable text in the subject do the work for you!  However, if you can't identify representative articles on your own, then how prepared are you to teach this class?

I have some represnetative/good articles now but still have to find more, expand the list further. The point is I plan to focus more on a very new area now in B school and so the reading list (research papers) may not be that rich enough in terms of content...

on: Today at 01:30:46 am 
Started by tuxedo_cat - Last post by fkm100
Princess Pushy is the most loving, tactile cat I have ever known, but she does not like being picked up. She always lets out a little moan of protest and wriggles to be put down. Tom Kitten has a special time of day for cuddles -- in the morning, just after breakfast. Then you can pick him up and cuddle him until your arms ache (he has grown very heavy). Neither of them are much for lap-sitting. PP will not sit on a lap under any circumstances. TK will occasionally try it. HIs lap-sitting is an elaborate and protracted process, consisting of a great deal of kneading and circling, until he finds just the right spot. But even so, he never stays longer than a few minutes. Or, with a cat's unerring instinct for perversity, he chooses to sit on my lap just as I am about to get up and do something that cannot be put off.

on: Today at 12:40:27 am 
Started by mountainguy - Last post by goaswerfraiejen
Please, please, please go see a doctor about your hip. A real doctor, not a chiropractor-quack. You can barely walk. It takes you half an hour to get a few hundred metres. You love to walk. You don't have to get a hip replacement if you don't want to, just go see a f***ing doctor. f***ing hell. It doesn't have to be scary. They're less inclined to rip you off, as a whole, than chiropractors are. Just go, already. Have it looked at. There's a reason you never see anyone else going around the world with your level of mobility. GO SEE THE f***ING DOCTOR. Please.

on: Today at 12:30:43 am 
Started by ladyradar - Last post by cmeagher7
I teach International Marketing, and several students decided for their group project to bring an IHOP franchise to Brazil. However, they don't have maple syrup in Brazil. It turned out to be very expensive to import it and further, the students didn't like it much anyway.

An American student was shocked. "Y'all don't have maple syrup in Brazil? What do you put on your pancakes?? Jelly??? What is that all about???!!!"

Anyway, that his final reflection. "There are places in the world that don't have maple syrup for their pancakes! And there are people who don't even like it!! I still can't believe it!!!"

on: Yesterday at 11:32:05 pm 
Started by reener06 - Last post by egilson
When I was a grad student, I went to student health and said, "I'm getting up two or three times a night to pee, and I've lost about 15 pounds over the past month even though I'm not dieting." My blood glucose was over 500. Now, I eat fairly well, don't exercise as much as I should, and take 2000 mg of metformin plus a bunch of other stuff for ancillary conditions. I'd like to lose 15 lbs., but my A1Cs are consistently between 6.7 and 6.9, so I think I'm doing alright.

on: Yesterday at 10:46:35 pm 
Started by gronbecksalpha - Last post by gronbecksalpha
Well, it has been a week and a half now, and I haven't heard anything back. In any case, I have a contract I have to sign within a couple days for the upcoming year in my current job, so it would be a moot point  for this job cycle anyway. Going through this process has opened my eyes to the possibility of using my research skills off the tenure track, if that would allow us to end up in a location we'd rather live in. I have also been exploring the possibility of transitioning into public health research positions (hospital or government based) and have a colleague in that sector who has offered to coach me through that if I decide to pursue it. My spouse and I have decided that we simply don't see ourselves being happy in our current location, and are committed to finding a way to move. I'm not going to do anything rash, and as I have a good, secure job, I can afford to be selective. We are fine with a targeted search taking several years, even - just not spending a lifetime where we are. And of course I will be considering other TT positions as well this upcoming year, should any miraculously open up in one of our desired locations.

on: Yesterday at 10:31:16 pm 
Started by Clare_X - Last post by cxanthos
Some things you might try:
- it's Atlanta and the South. Go to a church event. Find a church you like or church shop by looking for interesting speakers (Unitarian and Quaker churches always seem to have these, but you need not stop there). Many people, especially in the South, attend church not because they're so connected to that religion but to have a social circle of decent friends outside bars.
- explore other life-interest groups by volunteering, such as for a Heart Health Fun Run in the park. Find one sponsored by a university medical school. Chat with people from the medical school. Exchange cards. Tell them you're looking for health policy related work and ask how they like the medical school and who's good to work for there, etc. Networking is just conversation with people who know. Focus on getting to know settings and forget for now about knowing a person with an "in."
- start looking at all the websites for medical schools, policy think tanks, etc. associated with universities.

Another great response thanks so much for all these ideas. As I stated in the comment above, Ill add a fuller reply later. I just wanted to say thank you!

on: Yesterday at 10:28:18 pm 
Started by Clare_X - Last post by cxanthos
The most practical advice I was given was to reach out every contact on my LinkedIn profile.  I didn't, because I can't stand LinkedIn, but I think it's great advice. So that's how you start "mastering the networking game."  You've got over 100 connections on LinkedIn.  If you haven't already, send a message or email to every single person letting them know you're on the job market, what your skills are, and asking if their organization is hiring.  And ask them to forward on to their connections, if they know anyone who might.

Thanks  very much for your thoughtful reply I really appreciate it. I will try the Linkedin suggestion....  will add more to this reply later on in the week.  :)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10