• February 7, 2016

Chronicle Forums

February 07, 2016, 5:51:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 05:40:35 pm 
Started by tenured_feminist - Last post by pigou
I know, I know, I should just switch over to gmail or something and have everything forwarded, but I don't want to do that.
You don't have to forward your email. Gmail can connect to an exchange server using IMAP. If you want to, you can keep the inboxes synced up; personally, I have it set to not delete anything on my work email. That way, I can delete at will on Gmail.  You can also toggle what email address will appear in the sender, so you can reply or send from the work email.

on: Today at 05:33:50 pm 
Started by leobloom - Last post by zyzzx
R1s:

STEM Expenditures: min 6 million, max 2.2 billion. Mean 412 million, Median 320 million.
Non-STEM Expenditures: min 725k, max 124 million. Mean 22 million, Median 15 million.
Research Staff (including post-docs): min 32, max 7,300. Mean 600, Median 390.
Doctorates (Humanities/Social Sciences/STEM/Other): Min 0/1/27/0, Max 179/129/589/229. Mean 51/44/202/87, Median 45/37/152/76.

Then they use PCA to determine best fits for schools among the data. Being really high in any one area gets you R1 status, from what I can tell. Some interesting plots in the linked data.
I'm having a hard time seeing how a place with only $6 million STEM expenditures could be an R1, even if they were the place with the maximun non-STEM expenditures of $124 million.

A lot of it is dependent on size, and both raw expenditures and per-capita expenditures are reflected in the final report. But yeah, 6 million seems exceptionally low.

That said, there are 105 schools that are R1s, and some of the smallest R1s are quite small. If you're that school only giving out ~30 doctorates a year, my guess is your overall funding is pretty low.

There's always going to be a line between the largest R2 and the smallest R1 though, and the difference is always likely to be pretty small. If you look at the actual data, you can see the radius of distribution of each of the rankings has some pretty distinct groupings.

The $6 million school is the CUNY Graduate School and University Center, so maybe it's something strange about having one institution grant the PhDs for the whole system? ie. they get the credit while the different CUNY campuses spend most of the money?
The next lowest is Boston College, with $28 million in STEM expenditures, then University of N Texas with $39 million, so the $6 million is definitely an outlier.
(yes, I was bored enough today to have a look through the spreadsheet)

on: Today at 05:13:57 pm 
Started by clean - Last post by zyzzx
Sadly, I'll be asleep. It starts at midnight local time, and while I might be tempted to stay up, I've got an all-day thing tomorrow that starts early.
Bummer, because I'm all in for Carolina. And because I really like Superbowl snacks.

on: Today at 05:13:52 pm 
Started by rafrafraf - Last post by rafrafraf
Just an update. I got a dash cam as a gift and finally set it up yesterday. The brand is called Cobra, and it has a very small screen. I set it up so that it behind the rear-view mirror. The recorded videos are pretty clear. Here's a review from PC World if anyone is interested.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2986727/cameras/cobra-cdr-840-dash-cam-review-its-small-but-otherwise-a-good-deal.html

on: Today at 05:07:26 pm 
Started by pollinate - Last post by lizzy
gruesome

on: Today at 04:53:04 pm 
Started by leobloom - Last post by eigen
R1s:

STEM Expenditures: min 6 million, max 2.2 billion. Mean 412 million, Median 320 million.
Non-STEM Expenditures: min 725k, max 124 million. Mean 22 million, Median 15 million.
Research Staff (including post-docs): min 32, max 7,300. Mean 600, Median 390.
Doctorates (Humanities/Social Sciences/STEM/Other): Min 0/1/27/0, Max 179/129/589/229. Mean 51/44/202/87, Median 45/37/152/76.

Then they use PCA to determine best fits for schools among the data. Being really high in any one area gets you R1 status, from what I can tell. Some interesting plots in the linked data.
I'm having a hard time seeing how a place with only $6 million STEM expenditures could be an R1, even if they were the place with the maximun non-STEM expenditures of $124 million.

A lot of it is dependent on size, and both raw expenditures and per-capita expenditures are reflected in the final report. But yeah, 6 million seems exceptionally low.

That said, there are 105 schools that are R1s, and some of the smallest R1s are quite small. If you're that school only giving out ~30 doctorates a year, my guess is your overall funding is pretty low.

There's always going to be a line between the largest R2 and the smallest R1 though, and the difference is always likely to be pretty small. If you look at the actual data, you can see the radius of distribution of each of the rankings has some pretty distinct groupings.

on: Today at 04:51:05 pm 
Started by tijuanafina - Last post by eigen
I've also seen people (STEM) mention if a particular publication is especially well cited. Some journals/publishers, for instance, release "most cited" lists for articles in a given month/year, and if your article is on that list it might be worth mentioning, as it usually indicates a vey influential piece of work.

on: Today at 04:49:32 pm 
Started by fiona - Last post by protoplasm
Higher education also tends to be more liberal and enlightened, which increases the ability for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender faculty finding a safe space in which to work.

Then again, do you not repeat yourself?

Higher ed is a highly social occupation?

Since when? 

If I had to form a theory (not being gay myself) it might be that the tenure track attracts people who would like a job where you cannot be fired for being gay, whereas part-time teaching may attract gay people who worry about persecution because since one is temporary there's a good likelihood that people won't bother to find out who you are.

on: Today at 04:24:08 pm 
Started by voxprincipalis - Last post by stillerzulie
It is getting real around here. http://bit.ly/1nRtSOZ

on: Today at 04:18:40 pm 
Started by clean - Last post by mystictechgal
Superbowl party with friends--mostly to watch the commercials. Chili, shrimp, chips, veggie and cheese platters, and whatever the other guests bring. Got the chili cooking now and everything else ready, so we're good to go. They never turn on the Puppybowl, but maybe I can stream it. Thanks for the link!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10