• April 29, 2016

Chronicle Forums

April 29, 2016, 11:20:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 11:20:18 pm 
Started by mountainguy - Last post by egilson
I had colleagues who attended a session on one of these platforms in which the publisher's rep talked for a good 20 minutes about all of the data they collect and store about students using the system (number of minutes on a page, number of clicks, etc.). Their assessment was "Big-Brotherish," "creepy," and "questionable."

on: Today at 11:13:17 pm 
Started by mouseman - Last post by bcohlan1
I took a job. Feeling pretty ambivalent about it. We'll see how it goes.

Understandable. Why do you feel ambivalent?

I just won't know until I've been there a while whether or not I'm going to like it. I loved my old job, and that perfect fit can be hard to find.

on: Today at 11:09:57 pm 
Started by larryc - Last post by geonerd
  Let your chickens be whoever they are in their hearts.

on: Today at 11:08:41 pm 
Started by bertman - Last post by canyonwren3
I didn't walk either, but I inherited my regalia (literally, from a predecessor who barely made it to retirement age and died, and his widow kindly brought it to campus before fall convocation) when I started as assistant professor here.  It is generic black as opposed to my snazzy PhD-granting institution colors, and came with a hood appropriate to my field and colors from the local giant R1 U.  It doesn't matter, really.  I bought myself a doctoral beanie cap from the gown rental folks for $25.  Dry cleaned the old gown, and although it is huge, that leaves plenty of room to carry a fanny pack with snacks, mints, and a little notebook during long processionals. 

Please retirees consider leaving your cap and gown with department or dean (or even Provost) for new faculty, or consider sending it to your granting institution as overthejordan suggests.  Renting regalia is stupidly expensive but spending $ to buy it on new faculty salary is ridiculous.  Those going on sabbatical - consider loaning yours out while you are gone.

on: Today at 11:05:00 pm 
Started by bradley_headstone - Last post by xenophon
Requiring documentation to verify emergencies is par for the course in many situations. For various legal reasons a person must supply a copy of a death certificate. Being absent for more than 2 days requires documentation at my university (other employers are less accommodating). Plenty of service providers charge fees for failing to keep or changing an appointment. So as far as I am concerned, I AM treating them like adults.

on: Today at 10:56:22 pm 
Started by coffeeaddict - Last post by greyscale
A labmate's favorite boots got destroyed by her sister's dog, and she was sad because she couldn't remember what brand they were to replace them. Luckily I IDed them months ago as the Miz Moose Lissie! So she asked her sister to replace them, and now she has a new pair. I knew those hours spent on Zappos would come in handy...

I've been searching for ages for professional shoes for conferences, and my last attempt was a total flop. These are calling to me. Even though they're heels they're remarkably comfy, and stylish too... but expensive and I can't afford another loser. So I think I'll have to pass. (I like the grey suede version.)
http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=36947919

on: Today at 10:52:52 pm 
Started by dantigone2 - Last post by ruralguy
I think you can mention the positive reviews when you pitch the book elsewhere. You may or may not be able to actually use those same reviewers again.

As for whethe or not it's the best thing for your tenure case, I don't think we can answer that. You'd really
have to ask people at your school wok know the P&T rules and practices very well.

Look at who else has published with the trade press band also see whether or not anyone at your school publishes with such
Companies, especially before tenure.

on: Today at 10:43:43 pm 
Started by suomynona - Last post by k_guy
Instead, I focused on the start-up, which they doubled, and then other negotiables, like less classes the first year, and a required summer class taught every other year instead of every year (class typically required in my field; this was a good deal).
I think that can be a great strategy. By maximizing your startup you can boost your productivity...which can really help you get a better offer and salary a few years down the road.

on: Today at 10:37:38 pm 
Started by laga9806 - Last post by merinoblue
Exciting stuff.

on: Today at 10:35:15 pm 
Started by tuxedo_cat - Last post by merinoblue
Installed for the weekend. Taxes (Canadian), a focus group, a syllabus.

Whatcha got, loungers?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10