• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 8:39:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 52
  Print  
Author Topic: Apply For The Damn Job  (Read 353925 times)
ellareese

« Reply #555 on: December 16, 2012, 1:55:17 PM »

But systeme_d, my mentor ellareese tells me she was on a search committee last year with 322 applications. She says that at least 200 of those didn't meet the minimum qualifications stated in the ad (e.g. PhD in hand), and she wished those 200 applicants would have had the common courtesy to not apply for the damn job, and save 5 committee members (not to mention dep't staff who organized the files and the HR staff who managed all the inquiries) a lot of time processing applications that were dismissed in about 3 seconds.
optimisticfungus
I giggle everytime someone introduces me as Dr. So-and-So.

« Reply #556 on: December 17, 2012, 11:27:02 AM »

And aren't you glad they put out the cash for that illuminating job ad, instead of letting you know about the details towards the end of your campus interview? One of my colleagues tells grad students about  the interview 20 years ago that he felt very positive about until the department chair put his arm around his (the candidate's) shoulders and said "Tell my about your relationship with Jesus Christ."

Wow. When you put it that way, seniorscholar, yes, I am very grateful to know ahead of time (per the crystal clear job announcement) that my personal relationship with God will be a talking point.

It's like trying to nail jello to a wall.

We have very vivid and exciting inside lives. Deep down inside, we are wild.
systeme_d_
Distinguished Senior Member

No T, no shade. Usually.

« Reply #557 on: January 05, 2013, 8:41:17 PM »

But systeme_d, my mentor ellareese tells me she was on a search committee last year with 322 applications. She says that at least 200 of those didn't meet the minimum qualifications stated in the ad (e.g. PhD in hand), and she wished those 200 applicants would have had the common courtesy to not apply for the damn job, and save 5 committee members (not to mention dep't staff who organized the files and the HR staff who managed all the inquiries) a lot of time processing applications that were dismissed in about 3 seconds.

I never advise people to apply for positions for which they are not qualified.

Next time, read the thread before posting.

crumpet

« Reply #558 on: January 06, 2013, 6:46:43 PM »

I never advise people to apply for positions for which they are not qualified.

Next time, read the thread before posting.

Its true. Systeme_D_ told me not to AFTDJ when I asked about a job a knew I wasn't quite qualified for yet (Associate rather than Assistant level).
seething_sock

« Reply #559 on: January 25, 2013, 11:35:53 PM »

<reads newspaper>

<crumples newspaper>

<fixes up CV>
lucyr

« Reply #560 on: February 04, 2013, 11:23:47 PM »

I AFTDJ outside my subspecialty and got a campus visit! It can be done, forumites....search committees work in mysterious ways.
crumpet

« Reply #561 on: February 17, 2013, 8:27:13 AM »

I AFTDJ outside my subspecialty and got a campus visit! It can be done, forumites....search committees work in mysterious ways.

Congrats! The same thing just happened to me this weekend. Good luck to both of us!!
systeme_d_

No T, no shade. Usually.

« Reply #562 on: February 17, 2013, 8:45:27 AM »

Hurrah for Crumpet!

And congratulations to Lucyr, whose frightening situation -- mentioned elsewhere -- has ended happily with a job offer and acceptance.

crumpet

« Reply #563 on: February 17, 2013, 10:43:42 AM »

Hurrah for Crumpet!

And congratulations to Lucyr, whose frightening situation -- mentioned elsewhere -- has ended happily with a job offer and acceptance.

Wooot! Good for you Lucyr!!!
lucyr

« Reply #564 on: February 17, 2013, 2:02:49 PM »

Thanks all! And for further good news - the excellent job I ended up taking is TDJ! A'ingFTDJ is the best thing I've done all year, and is now going to launch my career on an excellent footing.

JUST DO IT, people.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #565 on: February 17, 2013, 7:53:24 PM »

Thanks all! And for further good news - the excellent job I ended up taking is TDJ! A'ingFTDJ is the best thing I've done all year, and is now going to launch my career on an excellent footing.

JUST DO IT, people.
[/quote

Now, there is a  proof everyone should AFTDJ!

Love your neighbor.
theritas

« Reply #566 on: February 19, 2013, 10:42:32 AM »

Well, I did it on Saturday morning.  And I won't be at all mortified if I'm not right for them.  But I will be somewhat mortified if I get called to meet with them about it.  But, of course, that would be awesome too.
corny
maizetastic, grained-up

« Reply #567 on: March 01, 2013, 1:07:11 PM »

Ok, I feel like this might be a case in which I should *not* AFTDJ, but I come seeking the wisdom of this thread just in case I'm wrong.

I am currently in my second year of a renewable-for-up-to-3-years VAP. I will almost certainly be renewed for next year if I want to stay - I'm already on the books for fall classes. There is a strong possibility that my department will search for a TT person in my field next year, but they won't convert my position - I'd have to apply for the TT spot and take my chances. I am, however, growing increasingly despondent at the thought of staying in this department, which is crazy dysfunctional. While I've mostly been able to just avoid the craziness so far, it's getting harder and harder. I can't imagine being on the tenure track here. On the other hand, the students are not bad, I've got a few classes under my belt now, teaching load is a reasonable 3/3. The town is small but charming.

I have been on the market for TT jobs, obviously, but in the midst of the Great February Silence (I'm looking at you, campus visit school that hasn't called me back), I am beginning to ponder my options as we get closer to the end of the job season.

Now. A VAP - 1-year, with possibility of 1-year renewal - has appeared at a school on the other side of the country. The position description sounds like it was written for me, it's so perfect - which is somewhat unusual, since I do a weird mix of things. Teaching load is lighter. If it were a TT job, it would be pretty close to my dream job. The school in question is also better prestige-wise than the one I'm at now. The location is FABULOUS. The pay, accounting for differences in cost of living, is roughly equivalent to what I make here (that is: not a lot, but enough to live on). Might be more job opportunities for my spouse there (there are pretty much none here - he's working a minimum wage job right now). We would be much closer to his family and much farther away from mine. We have friends who live in the city in question, so we wouldn't be going in as complete strangers.

However, a cross-country move is expensive and time-consuming - I know, since we just did it two years ago - and switching to a new school always eats up a lot of time too. I was planning to use this summer to make a lot of progress on my book manuscript, and this would definitely complicate that plan.

Basically, I would ordinarily not apply for a 1-year VAP elsewhere when I've already got one here - it doesn't seem practical. However, my frustration with my current department and the perfect fit of the job description at this other place are combining to make the whole thing seem pretty tempting.

What say you, forumites? Does it ever make sense to go from one VAP to another if you don't absolutely have to? AFTDJ? Or shut up and start drafting the next chapter of my book?

It may just be bourbon in the garden today, and making the best of things.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #568 on: March 01, 2013, 2:06:04 PM »

Ok, I feel like this might be a case in which I should *not* AFTDJ, but I come seeking the wisdom of this thread just in case I'm wrong.

I am currently in my second year of a renewable-for-up-to-3-years VAP. I will almost certainly be renewed for next year if I want to stay - I'm already on the books for fall classes. There is a strong possibility that my department will search for a TT person in my field next year, but they won't convert my position - I'd have to apply for the TT spot and take my chances. I am, however, growing increasingly despondent at the thought of staying in this department, which is crazy dysfunctional. While I've mostly been able to just avoid the craziness so far, it's getting harder and harder. I can't imagine being on the tenure track here. On the other hand, the students are not bad, I've got a few classes under my belt now, teaching load is a reasonable 3/3. The town is small but charming.

I have been on the market for TT jobs, obviously, but in the midst of the Great February Silence (I'm looking at you, campus visit school that hasn't called me back), I am beginning to ponder my options as we get closer to the end of the job season.

Now. A VAP - 1-year, with possibility of 1-year renewal - has appeared at a school on the other side of the country. The position description sounds like it was written for me, it's so perfect - which is somewhat unusual, since I do a weird mix of things. Teaching load is lighter. If it were a TT job, it would be pretty close to my dream job. The school in question is also better prestige-wise than the one I'm at now. The location is FABULOUS. The pay, accounting for differences in cost of living, is roughly equivalent to what I make here (that is: not a lot, but enough to live on). Might be more job opportunities for my spouse there (there are pretty much none here - he's working a minimum wage job right now). We would be much closer to his family and much farther away from mine. We have friends who live in the city in question, so we wouldn't be going in as complete strangers.

However, a cross-country move is expensive and time-consuming - I know, since we just did it two years ago - and switching to a new school always eats up a lot of time too. I was planning to use this summer to make a lot of progress on my book manuscript, and this would definitely complicate that plan.

Basically, I would ordinarily not apply for a 1-year VAP elsewhere when I've already got one here - it doesn't seem practical. However, my frustration with my current department and the perfect fit of the job description at this other place are combining to make the whole thing seem pretty tempting.

What say you, forumites? Does it ever make sense to go from one VAP to another if you don't absolutely have to? AFTDJ? Or shut up and start drafting the next chapter of my book?

Caveat: We are in very different fields.

So, if I understand correctly, you are in the second year of a renewable for up to three years VAP. So, after next year (year 3) you will not be renewed if you don't get the TT position that might open up and for which you'd have to apply.

So, this other place has a one year VAP (presumably for next year, the third year of your current VAP) that can be renewed potentially for a second year.

Sounds to me like other place has the potential for a job for your current year three and your current year four, and you don't much like your current department, and spouse needs more job opportunities... is the cross country move cost worth dealing with in order to get a job that could potentially extend into year four and give spouse more job opportunities?

I guess I don't see anything at all there waving at me saying "no corny should not AFTDJ."
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 2:06:47 PM by octoprof » Logged

Love your neighbor.
lucyr

« Reply #569 on: March 01, 2013, 2:47:48 PM »

AFTDJ and worry about which school to go to when you've actually got an offer from them!

And when you DO get that other offer, everything about this says to me that it will put you in a stronger position: personally, financially (if spouse can get better job, that will probably wipe out or exceed any moving costs) and professionally (if it's a better institution).  Worst case scenario, you can use it to make yourself look more desirable at your current institution and strengthen any future candidacy there. (When someone else wants you it ALWAYS makes you more desirable)

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 52
  Print  

Jump to: