• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 11:25:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 173
  Print  
Author Topic: Random Thoughts  (Read 317610 times)
theblondeassassin
Rootin' Tootin' Invigilatin'
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1935 on: December 11, 2012, 2:41:19 AM »

Maybe I'll just stay up all night and go to campus earlier than usual. If I get there at, say, 7am, then maybe nobody will witness me cautiously navigating the walkway between the 2nd floor entrance to the building I'll be studying in and the elevator as if the area were full of landmines. There was a gigantic monstrous thing resembling a cockroach in there this afternoon. I do not want to encounter that again.

You're too far north for the normal habitat of palmetto bugs (Florida woods cockroach), I think, but one could have hitched up that far.

Just to make sure, try to stay above 6,500 feet elevation and you should be free of all cockroaches.

My hovercraft is full of eels, so I don't suppose snails in a fish tank is so very strange.
usukprof
Not sure he's been around long enough to really be a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #1936 on: December 11, 2012, 12:13:32 PM »

I still don't understand the quarter system.  Not even remotely.

I prefer 20p/, 20/, and 20 rapppen/SFr myself.

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.  --Dean Vernon Wormer
biomancer
trying to be the person my dog thinks I am

CHE Fora Hazmat Team

« Reply #1937 on: December 13, 2012, 2:50:42 PM »

I just bit into what I thought was a chocolate "turtle" (i.e. caramel and pecans), and it has turned out to be chocolate-covered baklava.  Still tasty, but not what I expected.

Clueless people can be dangerous. The acidic environment they can spread often needs to be neutralized, and humor is basic.  - Dellaroux

I have realized that it is best to assume everyone is bonkers until they demonstrate otherwise. - ChaosByDesign
krisanthe

sciencerely

« Reply #1938 on: December 13, 2012, 2:57:49 PM »

I still don't understand the quarter system.  Not even remotely.

What don't you like/understand about the quarter system, YT?  Not being snarky, just curious.

Sweet biscuits! Now I really HAVE heard it all.

If you are in to Oreos we can talk about it more.
wild_rose
Looking back, I laugh at what I feared in the past, and hope for greater courage in the future.

The thrill of modern postism!

« Reply #1939 on: December 13, 2012, 6:48:14 PM »

My dog has a cold.

"[M]y toast just landed jelly side up so I think that bodes well for averting world-ending disasters.  I have faith in bread although the toasted aspect may mean you're going to have withstand some heat for a brief time and some aloe jelly will come in handy." --Notaprof, the Great Seer
usukprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #1940 on: December 17, 2012, 7:16:22 AM »

neutralname
A person without qualities, except for being a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #1941 on: December 17, 2012, 8:01:12 AM »

Can I just say thanks for endorsing me on LinkedIn, but I still find the whole idea both weird and stupid.

"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music." Vladimir Nabokov
mazerunner

« Reply #1942 on: December 17, 2012, 9:09:44 AM »

"eat up"
"chow down"
"dig in"
"pig out"

These phrasal verbs all have similar meanings even though the prepositions they use are, well, opposites.

Oh, and I hate it when people say "different than" instead of "different from."
ab_grp
doing the best imitation of myself as a

« Reply #1943 on: December 17, 2012, 11:39:24 AM »

Can I just say thanks for endorsing me on LinkedIn, but I still find the whole idea both weird and stupid.

I'm with you.  I get lots of messages about people endorsing me for various skills that they  themselves must be suggesting that I have.  It is a little weird, and I don't see the point, but I still went ahead just now and endorsed some folks I thought deserved it.  It's my good, albeit pointless, deed of the day.

Quote from: bread_pirate_naan
You are a genius. 

There is apparently no joy in life that mathematicians will not attempt to dessicate with the dry, hot air of statistical analysis. -anonymous commenter
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #1944 on: December 21, 2012, 2:22:40 PM »

Spray-quiche.

A concept.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
usukprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #1945 on: December 21, 2012, 4:40:15 PM »

Spray-quiche.

A concept.

Would you use one of these?  Sorry for the colour; I couldn't find a yellow one.

baleful_regards
Imperfect Uncertainty: Guardian of indecision is a

My magical seagull regards you balefully /\0/\

« Reply #1946 on: December 22, 2012, 10:38:13 PM »

It seems that I am going to start taking archery lessons.

Trouble comes to everyone who dares to be a muse.
westcoastgirl

« Reply #1947 on: December 24, 2012, 3:51:35 PM »

No one can bother me because I'm downstairs supposedly wrapping presents. The every two second "Mom/WCG we need you right this minute to function!" summons are not ringing out. Thank you. Presents will be attended to in due time. But, I'm able to play hookey with full immunity because no one can come down and check on me, including the husband (because I'm also wrapping his; well, really, I'm just putting those inside of a gift bag). So I've been on the internet for the last hour while the wrapping waits and everyone is duped into thinking I'm working diligently.

In other banality, my alma mater hosted one of the preeminent scholars in my field for the fall quarter. She's awesome. I used her work all through the diss. My friend is the coordinator for the program. She was very gracious the entire time. We met several times to discuss my work. Last week, as she was about to fly back to Europe, she left my friend one of her (amazing) scarves and said "Give this to a friend or a sister." He gave it to me. I'm so thrilled to have this scarf. It's my prized possession.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 3:53:58 PM by westcoastgirl » Logged

Quote from: cgfunmathguy
We're just cyborgs standing in the way of their dreams.
egilson

« Reply #1948 on: December 24, 2012, 6:26:38 PM »

Has there ever been a U.S. senator with a better name than Mike Crapo?
economizer

Words are at a loss for me.

« Reply #1949 on: December 28, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »

When traveling, to interupt someone currently in light conversation with another, in order to gain local information, is rude; however, it is preferable to the possibility of those regarding you as being an impatient person, as you wait for them to cease talking.

So, I straightened the whole thing out and what do you think I got for doing it?  Really, just take a guess!
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 173
  Print  

Jump to: