• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 8:41:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Academia and Evangelicals  (Read 11886 times)
quasihumanist

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 10:56:43 PM »

There are also plenty of colleges and universities where secularists can get an education, through to a PhD, without having to hear any ideas that challenge their core beliefs, as well.

Comparing the silly notions of a sheltered 18yo to those of an educated PhD is not becoming of educated people.  And evangelicals built the foundations of American higher ed.

No.  Mainline Protestant denominations (Lutherans, Presbyterians, Methodists, Episcopalians, etc) built the foundations of American higher ed (or at least a good bit of it).  Evangelicals are like a parasite that attached itself to mainline Protestantism and all but killed it.  The new evangelicals neither understand nor respect the values and traditions of the "liberal" Protestantism they have supplanted.

I think evangelicals see themselves as the true descendents of the First and Second Great Awakening Protestants that founded a lot of these colleges.

Given that no one has heard of Jonathan Edwards nowadays, much less read any of his sermons, they probably have as good a claim as any.
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 10:59:07 PM »

Given that no one has heard of Jonathan Edwards nowadays, much less read any of his sermons

Au contraire.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
bcohlan1

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 11:03:20 PM »

I think evangelicals see themselves as the true descendents of the First and Second Great Awakening Protestants that founded a lot of these colleges.

Given that no one has heard of Jonathan Edwards nowadays, much less read any of his sermons, they probably have as good a claim as any.

Huh. None of the evangelicals I ever knew had enough of a sense of history to know what the Great Awakening was. They saw themselves (and I saw myself, then) instead as the true descendants of the first century church.

"ASSUMING I EXIST, I MAY OR MAY NOT BE DOING OKAY" -T-Rex
mended_drum
Potnia theron and

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »

Given that no one has heard of Jonathan Edwards nowadays, much less read any of his sermons

Au contraire.

"Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" was required reading in my American lit class in high school.  A public high school.

"dr. mended_drum don't give a sh!t; she will chew me up like a cobra."
corny
maizetastic, grained-up

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 11:07:18 PM »

Au contraire.

"Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" was required reading in my American lit class in high school.  A public high school.

Mine too - and then we all had to write our own speeches in the same style. There were a lot of "Students in the Hands of an Angry English Teacher" speeches, as I recall.

It may just be bourbon in the garden today, and making the best of things.
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, 11:38:44 PM »

I do a great Jonathan Edwards. My students are always ready to repent.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
parispundit

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 2:18:25 AM »

I find it interesting that the people who wrote up the survey separated out one group of Christians from the rest; yet all Jews and all Muslims are lumped together in their respective groups.

Do you really thnk many Americans, even many academics, distinguish between Sunnis and Shiites in their feelings about Muslims? Or even about Hasidim and Reform among Jews?
melba_frilkins
Doing laundry.
Member-Moderator

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 2:23:57 AM »

I find it interesting that the people who wrote up the survey separated out one group of Christians from the rest; yet all Jews and all Muslims are lumped together in their respective groups.

Do you really thnk many Americans, even many academics, distinguish between Sunnis and Shiites in their feelings about Muslims? Or even about Hasidim and Reform among Jews?

No. But I imagine wildly different survey results if they had surveyed on "Christians" as a whole group, rather than parceling out the evangelicals.

Light up the corners of your neighborhood with disco balls matched with dancing green and violet beams.
spork
If you are reading this, I am naked.

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 6:46:14 AM »

I see a lot more sexism in academia than discrimination/prejudice based on religious affiliation.

a.k.a. gum-chewing monkey in a Tufts University jacket

"There are no bad ideas, only great ideas that go horribly wrong."

"Please do not force people who are exhausted to take medication for hallucinations." -- Memo from the Chair, Department of White Privilege Studies, Fiork University
burocrata

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 10:25:45 AM »

There are also plenty of colleges and universities where secularists can get an education, through to a PhD, without having to hear any ideas that challenge their core beliefs, as well.

I was about to post the exact same thing.  Is your typical late teenage middle class liberal student going to have his/her beliefs challenged at a typical university? 

As an aside, I just finished my undergrad at a university that's affiliated with an evangelical denomination.  I'm an atheist so I was a bit skeptical at first, particularly as there was a requirement to take a 3sh Bible class, but it was what I had available to me. 

The Bible class(on the OT) turned out to be some of the best fun I've had in a long and winding college career.  Essentially, the whole point was to challenge the students' preconceived notions of the Bible.  There was definitely some gnashing of teeth and rending of garments, but the prof wasn't having any of it.  It was a ton of work, but at the end of it I was wishing I could take their NT course as well. 
navydad

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, 11:41:52 AM »

"I find it interesting that the people who wrote up the survey separated out one group of Christians from the rest; yet all Jews and all Muslims are lumped together in their respective groups."

It's not only interesting, it makes the numbers worthless. Let's guess what the results would have been if the following terms had been used:

"extreme fundamentalist Jews"  "radical Islamic Muslims"  "Christians"

GIGO

Aficionado of the public works of Puncher and Wattmann

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf

"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it." Mahatma Gandhi
prof_smartypants
Treasure-pilferin' and grog-swillin'

You're getting hosed by small minds with no game.

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2012, 11:50:26 AM »

Au contraire.

Mine too - and then we all had to write our own speeches in the same style. There were a lot of "Students in the Hands of an Angry English Teacher" speeches, as I recall.

Mine 3. I can't remember if it was lit or history, though.

flyingbison

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2012, 11:56:45 AM »

Like it or not, anyone here seriously think that evangelicals are not discriminated against in some circles in American academia?  Really?

I think that some evangelicals are discriminated against in American academia. I also think that some evangelicals discriminate against other religions (especially Catholics who they don't think are Christian) and groups (especially homosexuals).

I think evangelicals are also prone to feeling that they are the object of persecution/discrimination, when their beliefs are challenged or disputed.

Resist much, obey little.
pgher

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2012, 12:08:57 PM »

No. But I imagine wildly different survey results if they had surveyed on "Christians" as a whole group, rather than parceling out the evangelicals.

Out of curiosity, I skimmed the actual report.  There are categories for Catholics, non-Evangelical Christians, Evangelical Christians, and various other religions.  Non-evangelicals received a 9% "unfavorable."
burocrata

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2012, 12:10:03 PM »

I think evangelicals are also prone to feeling that they are the object of persecution/discrimination, when their beliefs are challenged or disputed.

There is a lot of truth to that, which I think stems from the emphasis on the persecution of the early church.  For some folks, it is always the 2nd century CE in Rome, in there with the lions.  

But the thing that struck me about the results is that they show the spectrum of acceptable prejudice, and to have people justifying it just confirms that.  We're all human as noted previously, but could people at least not be proud of these biases?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: