• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 4:30:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mp3 player recommendations  (Read 1801 times)
daniel_von_flanagan
<redacted>
Distinguished Senior Member

Works all day. Posts all night. Needs sleep.

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 3:44:44 PM »

No reason to believe a more expensive player will be correspondingly better.

How about couple the Sansa with a good external portable amp, or a really fantastic external speaker (like this one).

Or read the reviews of more expensive ones at the website I linked. - DvF

The U.S. Education Department is establishing a new national research center to study colleges' ability to successfully educate the country's growing numbers of academically underprepared administrators.
neutralname
A person without qualities, except for being a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 3:58:05 PM »

I avoid Apple products, but one advantage the iPods have is that there are many external speaker systems designed to fit with them.  With the Sansa, I have to plug it in to the external source input of a regular speaker system, and you can't charge it at the same time as playing it.  That's inelegant.  But these days if I'm at home I play music through my computer anyway. 

"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music." Vladimir Nabokov
francie_
The Really Cheerful

The Voice of Reason

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 4:01:00 PM »

Reading this thread with special interest.  Teen Son's old Sansa Clip is wearing out, and I am considering either the Sansa Clip+, Zip or Fuze.  I thought my top choice would be the Fuze because it comes in a 16GB model, but the many reviews on Amazon are mixed and tending toward negative.  Not being much interested in these devices myself, I am having trouble discerining the differences between the Clip+ and Zip.  Sticking with Sansa for him because he gets most of his music from Rhapsody, and I am not in the mood to go up a price point or two for him at the moment.

Any guidance is appreciated.

I like your devious nature, Francie.
daniel_von_flanagan
<redacted>

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 5:30:12 PM »

I avoid Apple products, but one advantage the iPods have is that there are many external speaker systems designed to fit with them.
In other words, Apple has a proprietary connector and many systems are available in versions which works with this connector.  Whereas all other mp3 players use a generic 3.5mm connector, which will work with any powered speaker other than the Apple-specific ones.  To me this seems like an argument against Apple, but maybe that's just me.

With the Sansa, I have to plug it in to the external source input of a regular speaker system, and you can't charge it at the same time as playing it. 
It has separate usb/charging and earphone-out ports.  Are you saying that if you have the earphone-out port connected to a speaker system, you can't charge it through the USB port?  If so, is this true in Rockbox too? - DvF

The U.S. Education Department is establishing a new national research center to study colleges' ability to successfully educate the country's growing numbers of academically underprepared administrators.
neutralname
A person without qualities, except for being a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 5:43:44 PM »

I avoid Apple products, but one advantage the iPods have is that there are many external speaker systems designed to fit with them.
In other words, Apple has a proprietary connector and many systems are available in versions which works with this connector.  Whereas all other mp3 players use a generic 3.5mm connector, which will work with any powered speaker other than the Apple-specific ones.  To me this seems like an argument against Apple, but maybe that's just me.

With the Sansa, I have to plug it in to the external source input of a regular speaker system, and you can't charge it at the same time as playing it. 
It has separate usb/charging and earphone-out ports.  Are you saying that if you have the earphone-out port connected to a speaker system, you can't charge it through the USB port?  If so, is this true in Rockbox too? - DvF

I avoid proprietary hardware when possible, but when you go to the store to buy speaker systems for portable music players,they are nearly all Apple based.  It's annoying.

When my Sansa Clip+ is charging through it's mini-USB connected to my computer, it won't play.  I haven't tried connecting to a non-computer charger, so it is possible that it might charge and play at the same time with the right charger.  I don't know about Rockbox.

"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music." Vladimir Nabokov
daniel_von_flanagan
<redacted>

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 6:44:45 PM »

I avoid proprietary hardware when possible, but when you go to the store to buy speaker systems for portable music players,they are nearly all Apple based.  It's annoying.
So don't buy at the store...

Incidentally, the speaker I linked to above (http://minirigs.co.uk/) is only barely portable (72mm x 101.6mm and 424g), but it is better in fidelity and volume than any other powered small speaker below the B&W MM-1 (which is bigger and $500).  Input is 3.5mm jack.

When my Sansa Clip+ is charging through it's mini-USB connected to my computer, it won't play.
OK, I found this explanation (and solution).  Next time I talk to my son I'll ask him about Rockbox. - DvF

tee_bee
I've really made it in academe, now that I am a

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 9:34:56 PM »

My wife has a Sansa, and it's a nice unit, but it uses a proprietary connection, not a mini- or micro-usb adapter.  I hate nonstandard power adapters--my iThings' power and sync cables annoy me.
Is that the Fuze?  The Clip+ is standard mini usb. - DvF

Yes, it was the Fuze. Thanks for the memory reminder. I was trying to look at Sansa's product line, but found it hard to find info on the USB connector.
aliasme

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 9:18:23 PM »

I LOVE my Cowon D2 player. The sound is extremely sharp, great video, and the player is solid.
frogfactory
Totally Metal

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 9:22:52 AM »

I've gone for the Archos Gmini.  Partly because I really liked the one I had years ago in terms of usability and robustness.

At the end of the day, sometimes you just have to masturbate in the bathroom.
ezzyk

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2012, 4:57:03 AM »

Get a sandisk Plug n play usb mp3.. There's a bunch of similar products like that at walmart, amazon or tigerdirect.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: