• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 11:21:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: How often do you have department meetings?  (Read 11642 times)
justanotherucprof

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2012, 9:13:36 PM »

In the department I once chaired, we met once a year (in the summer, when grad student reviews were done) and as needed to handle personnel reviews and appointments.  Other business got squeezed into those meetings on occasion, but only rarely.  Departmental administration was pretty clearly delegated to individuals and subcommittees.  Good way to go.
chickensoup

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2013, 11:19:45 PM »

As chair, I only schedule a department meeting for once a month and only for one hour. I make sure announcements go through email and thus not waste my colleagues' time with info. that is best sent that way. I cancel meetings if there is not enough on the agenda. This is popular. I also schedule meetings the following day if there is an item that some colleagues want to spend time on; just in case we need more time but we never go to the second slot. The "fear" of yet another meeting means we stay focused and get things done in an hour. This seems very popular. And this is in a department of 50 faculty. It also means colleagues actually talk to one another in advance of meetings...

You're awesome.

Ditto!  I'm going to try this!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: