End of Semester Burn-Out

(1/19) > >>

sds1968:
Just a general ramble-type topic.

End of semester burn-out: Who has it? How do you deal with it?

I am in my second year at a CC, and this spring semester feels different than last. In my first year I was burned out from the lesson-planning and grading and just trying to keep up. This year I feel burned out by some of my students. I feel like some of them don't care about the class and that my teaching methods aren't working.

Thoughts?

abdbio:
This semester has been all over.  My A&P students were good, but so- um- willing to over share.  A nephew coming out as trans*, a mom diagnosed with ovarian cancer, a friend killed in the Army, and the list goes on.  Just because I teach about the body, does not mean that I want to hear about every ache and pain and odd mole, nor do I know about every diagnosis.  Go ask your physician/counselor.

My gen ed students were absolutely fabulous, except for one plagiarist that got really nasty.  I even received a personal thank you note from a student I nearly failed! 

So yes, I am beyond ready for the end of the semester.

funkypeanut:
I'm done with classes but have finals left. In my last class I have a lot of graduating seniors, and they've become a rather apathetic bunch in the last couple of weeks. I think that it's not so much that I'm burnt out as that I'm tired of dealing with their burn out.

sds1968:

I think that it's not so much that I'm burnt out as that I'm tired of dealing with their burn out.

That may be more my feeling as well. I know I still have to put on a song and dance for another week, and you all (students) should at least TRY to not expect me to cancel the next to last and last class just because "everyone else is doing it."

sds1968:

I know I still have to put on a song and dance for another week

That sounds very cynical. . . maybe I just need more sleep. -_- ZzZ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page