Grading advice

<< < (4/4)

burnie:
Another way to encourage the whole class to consider more creative options is to bring on some of the more inventive answers to discuss...so go over the question and correct answer and then say, "some of you had really inventive approaches" and discuss those too (with the permission of those students). It could be that others thought of those solutions but were afraid to get the answer wrong so went with the safe answer.   You could open the doors for them a tad.

polly_mer:
Quote from: aysecik on February 08, 2013, 12:37:35 AM

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! It is difficult for me to grade on the B for good work A for exceptional type scale, because most questions are not as open ended.

Who ever said that all problems must be graded on the same scale?  I often classify a problem as open-ended/creative or closed/straightfoward before applying my rubric.  Anyone who gives the complete answer for closed/straightforward gets full credit.  However, anyone who gives a textbook answer to an open-ended/creative problem gets a B; an A is for those who have gone beyond repeating what they have been told.

I've not had any problems doing this in engineering and physics classes.  Students seem to understand different kinds of problems better than they understand arbitrary "he got a bonus/extra credit/plus point and I didn't" grading.

aysecik:
Thanks for the ideas! Yes, I could incorporate creative answers in class (perhaps when the idea they incorporated comes up in another section, even). And polly_mer, perhaps I'll do that in the exam. Too much work to change my pre-prepared homeworks at this point in time and with my existing commitments, especially given they count for 15% of grade total (10 assignments) - I doubt that will create as much problem. For those, I will simply say you can check the model answer, and if you put in something beyond that, I'll give you an extra point (so it's not subjective). These students seem pretty easy-going anyway.

Thanks!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page