• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 8:21:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: what dose shortlist mean?  (Read 27049 times)
tinytse

« on: December 13, 2011, 12:10:50 PM »

when enqiring the number of applicants for certain position, I was told that there were 13 applicants, of which 4 were in shorlisted. what dose it mean?
thanks very much
neutralname
A person without qualities, except for being a
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 12:13:38 PM »

Normally 50mg. 

"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music." Vladimir Nabokov
cj405

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 12:15:20 PM »

when enqiring the number of applicants for certain position, I was told that there were 13 applicants, of which 4 were in shorlisted. what dose it mean?
thanks very much

The short list is the group that will be interviewed for the position.  I hope you made it and that you have a friend with a good grasp of English spelling and grammar read everything that you submit in writing from this point on.

"These things sneak up on him for no reason, these flashes of irrational happiness.  It's probably a vitamin deficiency." -Margaret Atwood, Oryx and Crake
onthefringe

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 12:20:39 PM »

thanks very much

The short list is the group that will be interviewed for the position.  I hope you made it and that you have a friend with a good grasp of English spelling and grammar read everything that you submit in writing from this point on.

Sometimes. Where I am, the short list is the subset of applications picked by the search committee to be circulated to the department. We generate an invite list from that group based on further (endless...) discussions with the whole department.
cj405

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 12:30:00 PM »

thanks very much

Sometimes. Where I am, the short list is the subset of applications picked by the search committee to be circulated to the department. We generate an invite list from that group based on further (endless...) discussions with the whole department.

Yes, I should have said that the short list is the group that is still being considered.

In my department, once we've gotten down to 4, those people at least get a phone interview, but then again, our pool ALWAYS starts out much larger than 13.

"These things sneak up on him for no reason, these flashes of irrational happiness.  It's probably a vitamin deficiency." -Margaret Atwood, Oryx and Crake
tinytse

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 12:37:52 PM »

thanks very much

Thank you very much. I was offered an interview. Dose it imply I am one of 4 applicants in shortlisted?
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 1:37:36 PM »

thanks very much

The short list is the group that will be interviewed for the position.  I hope you made it and that you have a friend with a good grasp of English spelling and grammar read everything that you submit in writing from this point on.

Thank you very much. I was offered an interview. Dose it imply I am one of 4 applicants in shortlisted?

Yes.  Good luck!

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
mleok

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 9:46:12 PM »

It implies that you should learn the difference between "dose" and "does."
leadinell

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 7:52:18 PM »

S/he could well be in a field in which linguistic competency is of secondary importance.
mleok

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 10:37:04 PM »

S/he could well be in a field in which linguistic competency is of secondary importance.

A mathematician or scientist in particular needs to use language in a precise and unambiguous fashion.
anonytrans

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 7:54:57 PM »

A mathematician or scientist in particular needs to use language in a precise and unambiguous fashion.

More to the point, s/he could be in a location in which *English* competency is of secondary importance. We know nothing about the OP's linguistic competency in other languages.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: