• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 6:29:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 411 412 [413] 414 415 ... 596
  Print  
Author Topic: "Favorite" conversations with students  (Read 1539777 times)
cc_alan
is a wossname
Distinguished Senior Member

Caution! Nekkid Zamboni driver ahead.

« Reply #6180 on: April 12, 2012, 11:03:02 PM »

Student: So, you don't think I'll be able to finish next year?

<vibrates with aniticipation>

Well? WELL????!!!!

What the heck did you tell her?! I'm very upset that you didn't tell us how this worked out!

Please don't leave me hanging! I need to know

(shoot, I'm all out of exclamation points)

Alan

Guess what? I got a fever and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!
professor_pat

« Reply #6181 on: April 13, 2012, 12:06:08 AM »

And we complain that our students don't have focus.

To me, forums are more of a relaxing period in which the poster can allow himself or himself to be lost in a sea of wonder.
cc_alan
is a wossname

Caution! Nekkid Zamboni driver ahead.

« Reply #6182 on: April 13, 2012, 7:38:57 AM »

And we complain that our students don't have focus.

And what the heck does that

SQUIRREL

Alan

Guess what? I got a fever and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!
professor_pat

« Reply #6183 on: April 13, 2012, 11:09:29 AM »

^ Story of my career.

To me, forums are more of a relaxing period in which the poster can allow himself or himself to be lost in a sea of wonder.
isotope
A Ronnie James Dio Approved

I am a #$%&! delight.

« Reply #6184 on: April 13, 2012, 10:33:26 PM »

I spent an hour with a student needing help on lots of things.  She is a pretty hard worker overall.  Anyway, she led with this:  “Oh!  My boyfriend and I were having a debate about you last night.  He had you a long time ago.  Stewart McRandom?  Anyway, we were wondering if you were a Dr. or not.  So we started googling you…Now I feel like a stalker.  But it’s not like that.  You went to some really hard schools!  And you had some crazy jobs!  Like a nuclear something or other.  And a climate guy or something.  It was like you knew about everything.  And you went to schools that were hard to get into.  We either thought you were this super genius or…something…I don’t know.  This is weird.  I’m sorry.  And then Stewart was telling me that once you had this big cart full of rocks and some piece of equipment in the elevator and he was in there with you.  He said the cord was hanging off the cart and the elevator door closed with the cord outside.  Ha!  He said you FREAKED OUT!  He said you said all sorts of curse words and thought you were going to break the elevator.  He said he just reached up and calmly pushed the “door open” button and you pulled the cord in.  That’s funny!” 

Now, I'm not a super genius.  I would think the elevator incident would display that nicely.  I don't remember the elevator issue at all, but it sounds exactly like me.  I'm sure it went down. 

"I dunno, Dr. Isotope.  All your music sounds like something off of guitar hero, expert level." -- student
chemystery

« Reply #6185 on: April 14, 2012, 12:00:34 AM »

I'm guessing that the student did not realize that not every item that comes up when googling your name is necessarily about you?

Chemystery, who lives in at least three states and is an EMT in at least one of them.  That's pretty awesome of me, since it's more than a thousand miles from the state I think I live in.

"Nolite te bastardes carborundorum"  --The Handmaid's Tale
oldadjunct

LIFO. Enough said.

« Reply #6186 on: April 14, 2012, 2:19:35 AM »

You didn't interrupt that three sentences in?  No wonder the meeting took an hour of your life that is now lost forever.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
Daniel Patrick Moynihan

OMG!  My partner gave me hu!  What do I do to get rid of hu?
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #6187 on: April 14, 2012, 8:57:06 AM »

I'm guessing that the student did not realize that not every item that comes up when googling your name is necessarily about you?

This depends on how common the name is.  For example, everything that comes up with my name is me, which is why I refrain from all Facebook activities and imposed on some family members to take down unflattering pictures during my job search.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
isotope

I am a #$%&! delight.

« Reply #6188 on: April 14, 2012, 9:01:52 AM »

She's a good student overall and has this really boisterous personality.  I found it supremely entertaining.  I was laughing to myself about it for a while after she left. 

"I dunno, Dr. Isotope.  All your music sounds like something off of guitar hero, expert level." -- student
octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #6189 on: April 14, 2012, 4:04:08 PM »

Chemystery, who lives in at least three states and is an EMT in at least one of them.  That's pretty awesome of me, since it's more than a thousand miles from the state I think I live in.

I didn't think my name was very common but have twice run into another person with the same name in a medical setting (i.e. getting our charts confused) in two different states. And on facebook, about eight folks have the same name. It's creepy...

Love your neighbor.
gennimom
Somewhat Southern (Have I really posted that much?)

Let's get summer over with! Me want snow!

« Reply #6190 on: April 14, 2012, 8:30:22 PM »

I didn't think my name was very common but have twice run into another person with the same name in a medical setting (i.e. getting our charts confused) in two different states. And on facebook, about eight folks have the same name. It's creepy...

Around here, we have to spell our last name constantly because there aren't any others. At home? There are five people with my first and last name. As far as the whole country is concerned, my home state is THIRD in numbers of people with my name, behind Texas and California.

...only after reading gm's post, my new mantra is "always listen to gennimom".
Monday reeks! - Garfield
The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a person (or something like that).
bcohlan1

« Reply #6191 on: April 14, 2012, 8:35:31 PM »

Wait, so was all of it about you or not, isotope?  I took the original post as a comment on how little our students tend to understand how insanely qualified we all are.

And on the other issue: I'm the only person who shows up in a Google search of my name, which is very, very unfortunate.  Stupid things I said while still in high school get displayed very prominently, as well as some stupid photos of me from the same age which some old acquaintance has posted.

"ASSUMING I EXIST, I MAY OR MAY NOT BE DOING OKAY" -T-Rex
octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #6192 on: April 14, 2012, 11:41:13 PM »

Wait, so was all of it about you or not, isotope?  I took the original post as a comment on how little our students tend to understand how insanely qualified we all are.

And on the other issue: I'm the only person who shows up in a Google search of my name, which is very, very unfortunate.  Stupid things I said while still in high school get displayed very prominently, as well as some stupid photos of me from the same age which some old acquaintance has posted.

You need to work your online presence, then, so other, better things will rise to the top!

Love your neighbor.
bcohlan1

« Reply #6193 on: April 15, 2012, 2:07:25 AM »

Well the first three or four pages of Google matches are dominated by positive things to do with my career so far, but the stupid thing from high school is still number one or two on the first page.  This isn't merely a stupid thing, but a thing that makes it appear that I don't know how to think (because it comes from a period when I was still deeply affected by my upbringing inside a fundamentalist bubble).

Right now it's simply a matter of that website being favored by Google's algorithm for whatever reason.  I've already contacted the people who run it, but they've claimed they are unable to remove my name.

"ASSUMING I EXIST, I MAY OR MAY NOT BE DOING OKAY" -T-Rex
isotope

I am a #$%&! delight.

« Reply #6194 on: April 15, 2012, 8:52:05 AM »

Yes, all of it was more or less correct.  I do sound far more impressive than I am.  I have a good understanding of all things Earth, but I'm still 70% idiot.

There are a few others out there with my name.  I have a lot of marathon times attributed to me around the midwest and east coast. 

Pages: 1 ... 411 412 [413] 414 415 ... 596
  Print  

Jump to: