• June 30, 2016
June 30, 2016, 1:01:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to conceive  (Read 379280 times)
dr_alcott
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #945 on: June 06, 2016, 10:07:30 pm »

HSG is scheduled for Thursday morning.  I'm scared.

Are you worried about pain? If so, don't be scared.  The cramping I experienced wasn't fun, but it wasn't much worse than a regular cycle. Just be gentle with yourself.  I was able to drive myself home without any problems.

Then again, mine was on the morning of September 11, 2001, about two hours after the towers came down, so I was pretty distracted and upset about other things.

Anyway I conceived shortly thereafter.

I'll be thinking about you this week, Krisanthe.

You must be your own snow, Dr_Alcott.  You must lift, and sparkle, and then melt away.

I love everyone here!
krisanthe

sciencerely

« Reply #946 on: June 06, 2016, 10:26:50 pm »

Thanks, Dr_Alcott.  I remember you saying that about your HSG.  I don't blame you for being in a bit of a daze!

Yes, I'm worried about the pain. I've never had a problem with similar procedures (pap-smears, etc.) , so that makes me think I'll be okay, but I've also read that it can be quite painful if there are blockages that need to be cleared out. I also have to go to work afterwards, so I'm a bit concerned about what my physical and emotional state is going to be after the procedure. I'm sure it'll be fine and It'll definitely be worth it if it helps us conceive. Thanks for the support.   

Sweet biscuits! Now I really HAVE heard it all.

If you are in to Oreos we can talk about it more.
reener06
Just another

« Reply #947 on: June 06, 2016, 10:52:34 pm »

My HSG was OK too. Cramping like a normal cycle. In fact, I was surprised I felt pretty OK afterwards. I know for some people it helps them conceive soon after; for me that was not the case (but was the case for a good friend). Positive thoughts heading your way.
anonymath

« Reply #948 on: June 06, 2016, 10:55:05 pm »

Thanks, Dr_Alcott.  I remember you saying that about your HSG.  I don't blame you for being in a bit of a daze!

Yes, I'm worried about the pain. I've never had a problem with similar procedures (pap-smears, etc.) , so that makes me think I'll be okay, but I've also read that it can be quite painful if there are blockages that need to be cleared out. I also have to go to work afterwards, so I'm a bit concerned about what my physical and emotional state is going to be after the procedure. I'm sure it'll be fine and It'll definitely be worth it if it helps us conceive. Thanks for the support.   

I've had two. First one I did have a blockage and yes, it was temporarily painful. I took two Advil ahead of time, and took two more afterwards. I would not have liked to teach afterwards, but I'm a big wuss.

The second time I took the two Advil before and after, but no blockage and not as much pain. It might depend on the Doctor. There is some good literature that suggests that you're more likely to conceive in the next three cycles after the HSG. It worked for me the first time, conceived my son the first cycle after the HSG. Second time no luck.

Got my period again, so I've got one more cycle to get my BFP or we go to IVF in July. It'd be awfully nice to conceive before then.

As for the rest of your analysis, Anonymath, I agree.
microsb

« Reply #949 on: June 07, 2016, 1:52:27 pm »

I've had two. First one I did have a blockage and yes, it was temporarily painful. I took two Advil ahead of time, and took two more afterwards. I would not have liked to teach afterwards, but I'm a big wuss.

The second time I took the two Advil before and after, but no blockage and not as much pain. It might depend on the Doctor. There is some good literature that suggests that you're more likely to conceive in the next three cycles after the HSG. It worked for me the first time, conceived my son the first cycle after the HSG. Second time no luck.

Got my period again, so I've got one more cycle to get my BFP or we go to IVF in July. It'd be awfully nice to conceive before then.

Best of luck krisanthe!

Mine was more painful than a normal cycle, but I didn't really have terrible cramps before taking Clomid or Metformin and having regular cycles, so that is maybe not a good comparison. I did have a small blockage, so they did have to increase the pressure which wasn't fun, but the nurses squeezed my hand. I wish I'd had the foresight to take ibuprofen before. The pain was mostly only when they were inflating things with fluid, though, and I was fine to drive home and such. I conceived the 4th cycle after the HSG, but I think it was more a testament to the Metformin than the HSG.

(PS..23 weeks here and so far so good...)
krisanthe

sciencerely

« Reply #950 on: June 07, 2016, 7:05:04 pm »

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences.  It really does help.  I will take some ibuprofen beforehand and I'll let you know how it goes. 

Microsb - I was just thinking of you the other day.  I'm really glad to hear things are going well!

educprof13

« Reply #951 on: June 09, 2016, 11:15:55 am »

Delayed response to this, but Kristanthe - my HSG really wasn't bad at all.  The worst part was that the dr. put me on antibiotics before and after, which made me sick.  I'm hopeful that your experience is good!! I also got pregnant the month of our HSG (though I did end up miscarrying).

Last month ended up not working out for me, so we moved forward with the IUI this month. In the two week wait now...took a test this morning and there was a faint line, but there's also the chance that it's a false positive because of the Ovidrel (it SHOULD be out of my system now, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up in case that's what happened). In any event, I go in for a blood test next week if my period doesn't show up.
krisanthe

sciencerely

« Reply #952 on: June 09, 2016, 11:57:20 am »

I'm back!  It was...fine.  I definitely did feel the dye for about 20 or 30 seconds and to me it felt like strong pressure more than it felt like period cramps.  And then it was over (thankfully).  I haven't felt any cramps or any discomfort at all since the test ended, but I did take 600mg of ibuprofen beforehand.

The doctor said everything looks good!  She said she didn't see any blockages and my uterus looks good as well.  She did say the left ovary looks swollen and she is going to have the radiologist look at it, but she said it shouldn't impact fertility.  So, we're going to see how it goes these next few months.  Honestly, it's a relief just to have the information because now I'm not wondering what the heck is going on up there.

Educprof13 - I hope the IUI is a success!  A faint lines sounds really exciting.  How many days past ovulation are you?

educprof13

« Reply #953 on: June 10, 2016, 9:48:30 am »

Glad it wasn't too bad, Kristanthe, and that everything looks good!! 

Yesterday I was 11 days past ovulation. Tested again this morning (12 dpo) and similar story - very faint line, no noticeable change from yesterday, but it's still very early. Fingers crossed!
krisanthe

sciencerely

« Reply #954 on: June 10, 2016, 9:21:40 pm »

Yes, fingers crossed for you, Educprof13! 

4evercurious

« Reply #955 on: June 11, 2016, 1:46:04 pm »

Fingers crossed for you and others! My HSG was relatively pain-free because I took a nice dose of Advil (400mg) beforehand and the nurse did not use a clamp to hold my cervix in place. That clamp usually has "teeth," and apparently hurts like crazy. 
educprof13

« Reply #956 on: June 12, 2016, 7:23:40 pm »

Well, I have my answer - the tests are now negative and I've begun spotting, so I'm sure my period is on it's way. I'm assuming the faint positives were due to leftover HCG from the shot I got the day of the IUI...it technically can last for up to 14 days, though most things I read said it was out of people's systems by around day 9 or 10.  I guess I  was slower at metabolizing it. Now I know not to test early (well, I knew that this time too, but got impatient).

Onto round 2, I suppose...

krisanthe

sciencerely

« Reply #957 on: June 12, 2016, 8:35:53 pm »

Sorry to hear that. What's the next step for you?

Anonymath, how are you doing? About to start your two week wait?

anonymath

« Reply #958 on: June 14, 2016, 10:52:10 am »

Sorry to hear that. What's the next step for you?

Anonymath, how are you doing? About to start your two week wait?

We're still in the dancing phase. I told DH that, since this was the last "natural" try before IVF, we're trying some of the more random suggestions for fertility, just in case. Different positions, keeping my my legs up for a while after, etc. I'm really not looking forward to IVF.

As for the rest of your analysis, Anonymath, I agree.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64]
  Print  

Jump to: