• May 6, 2016
May 06, 2016, 5:15:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to conceive  (Read 365381 times)
corny
maizetastic, grained-up
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #930 on: April 05, 2016, 9:20:31 am »

Well, I've had the first spotting of the cycle, so I'm probably out. I'm not due till Thursday, so we'll see, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much.

DH deposits his sample tomorrow. Most of my results are in and almost everything looks normal. My vitamin D looks low, so they want me to start taking more supplements above what's in the prenatal vitamin. My prolactin came back high, so I'll be repeating that test on Wednesday, but fasting this time. My last ob/gyn also did prolactin in November and it was normal then, so I'm not too worked up about it.

I used the lack of vitamin D as an excuse to sit outside in my garden for a while today. Might as well be good for something.

Anonymath, you probably know this, but prolactin seems to be really sensitive to all sorts of weird things. I had high prolactin a few times, but was testing in the late afternoon each time; once I tested in the morning (fasting), it was fine, and my doctor said that was not at all unusual.

I had a few more blood tests yesterday, including vitamin D, so I'll be interested to see how those turn out.

The insurance thing is difficult, for sure. Mine pays for 50% of anything related to infertility up to a maximum of something like $4000 - but they won't pay anything for IVF or anything else they deem to be not medically sound (I don't remember the exact phrasing they use). We've agreed from the beginning that we don't want to go as far as IVF, and the cost is definitely a big part of that. By the time you factor in everything that goes with it, we're talking about, you know, a down payment on a house or something.

A belated welcome to Educprof13!

It may just be bourbon in the garden today, and making the best of things.
krisanthe

sciencerely

« Reply #931 on: May 02, 2016, 8:56:24 am »

How is everyone doing?  Any updates?

I'm in a head-scratcher of a situation, but I don't know if you want the details.  In a nut shell, I'm in the third week of my two week wait (?!) but am getting negative tests.  This TTC journey is such a waiting game.

Sweet biscuits! Now I really HAVE heard it all.

If you are in to Oreos we can talk about it more.
chickpea

« Reply #932 on: May 02, 2016, 9:40:14 am »

I'm in a head-scratcher of a situation, but I don't know if you want the details.  In a nut shell, I'm in the third week of my two week wait (?!) but am getting negative tests.  This TTC journey is such a waiting game.

Krisanthe, are you normally very regular, so you're a week overdue? That sounds pretty positive to me... it can take a while for a home test to come back positive. Keep testing, or give your doc a call and see when they can do a blood test. Fingers crossed!
krisanthe

sciencerely

« Reply #933 on: May 02, 2016, 10:45:22 am »

Thanks, Chickpea.  Yes, I usually have 28 day cycles +/- 1 day.   I was due to start on Thursday evening or Friday morning, so it hasn't yet been a week.  I didn't test today, but maybe I'll pick up a test on my way home and take it tomorrow morning.

educprof13

« Reply #934 on: May 02, 2016, 12:27:36 pm »

That sounds like a positive sign, Krisanthe!!  The wait is the worst. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!! :-)
anonymath

« Reply #935 on: May 02, 2016, 1:29:37 pm »

Good luck and fingers crossed for you, Krisanthe! I had two negative tests in the cycle my son was conceived. Tested again a few days later and there was my BFP.

As for me, I'm near the end of this TWW. Second testing of prolactin was normal so the Dr. isn't concerned. DH and I saw the Dr.  a couple weeks ago, and with some arm twisting (and budget crunching), we're going to start IVF in July, assuming I don't get my BFP before. I'm not thrilled about the cost or the procedures (or what I've heard of them), but it feels crappy to say, "Oh we didn't try for another child because it cost more than we wanted, even though we did have the money available." I'm not planning on going bankrupt or even into debt for this, but I'd hate to look back and not have tried while I was still able. We figure we can fund 2-3 cycles, depending on how many viable eggs are harvested. I'd really rather not have to go through two harvests, so we're most likely just sticking with whatever we get from the first one. We'll also do the genetic testing to make sure we're implanting the ones with the best chances.

I'm still hoping I catch before then.

As for the rest of your analysis, Anonymath, I agree.
krisanthe

sciencerely

« Reply #936 on: May 02, 2016, 1:56:28 pm »

Thanks everyone.  I will keep you updated.

Anonymath, I think it's great that you have a plan for the future and you have a few months to get prepared.   IVF worked for my friend (unexplained infertility) after 5 years of trying and 3 failed IUIs.   Are you planning on testing this cycle or are you going to wait to see if your period shows?

anonymath

« Reply #937 on: May 02, 2016, 4:04:44 pm »

Thanks everyone.  I will keep you updated.

Anonymath, I think it's great that you have a plan for the future and you have a few months to get prepared.   IVF worked for my friend (unexplained infertility) after 5 years of trying and 3 failed IUIs.   Are you planning on testing this cycle or are you going to wait to see if your period shows?

Eh, I still subscribe to the unfounded belief that testing causes my period to start. I know it doesn't really, but it sure feels like it! I'm getting all the signs of impending period though, so I may not need to wait long.

krisanthe

sciencerely

« Reply #938 on: May 03, 2016, 10:42:24 am »

Anonymath, you and I might be on the same cycle soon.  I had a temp drop this morning along with my usual pre-period headache, so I'd be surprised if I don't start tomorrow.  I really don't know what happened this cycle; I thought I ovulated on time. Oh well.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 10:42:46 am by krisanthe » Logged

anonymath

« Reply #939 on: May 03, 2016, 3:05:17 pm »

Anonymath, you and I might be on the same cycle soon.  I had a temp drop this morning along with my usual pre-period headache, so I'd be surprised if I don't start tomorrow.  I really don't know what happened this cycle; I thought I ovulated on time. Oh well.

You know, they say women who hang out together often end up with synchronized cycles. I didn't realize it worked over the Internet too!

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63]
  Print  

Jump to: