• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 5:13:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Perks  (Read 12499 times)
marigolds
looks far too young to be a
Distinguished Senior Member

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 6:24:20 PM »

I DO have a full-wall dry erase board. Some kind of fancy dry erase paint. I can write on the wall!

Cool! I want this at my house!

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
questor1

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 8:57:18 PM »

Yes, a close reserved parking spot, also a sofa or comfortable chair and a private bathroom.
jmargerum

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 1:08:07 PM »

Yes, a close reserved parking spot, also a sofa or comfortable chair and a private bathroom.

I've got a sofa that came with the office I'm in.  I'd strongly prefer not to have it--it sends the wrong message. Once I'm more solidly in the position (I'm an interim at the moment), it would be great to replace it with a conference table and chairs. Perhaps I can send it to you? ;)

Reserved parking spot is something I've got, though I pay over $700 a year for it and it's about a quarter mile from my office.  Still nice to have.

Private bathroom would be great.  I'm not holding my breath.  (Maybe that's not the best choice of words)

Jon

- - -    - - -    - - -    - - -   
Jon Margerum-Leys
Associate dean for students and curriculum
Eastern Michigan University
genius_at_large
Wylie E. Coyote, Genius at Large

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 9:37:06 PM »

Demands for my next job:
 - Hibachi-style private dining area
 - Limo for commuting from private lakefront chalet
 - Six-figures, paid weekly
 - Walk-in closet in my office with a hidden switch opening up a door which leads to a pole I can slide down into my secret Dr. Evil-type lair complete with Mtn. Dew in the fridge and a computer monitor dedicated totally to www.gamesloth.com
 - No faculty meetings

I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
proftowanda

"Righter of wrongs, queen beyond compare."

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 10:56:25 PM »

My next door office neighbor has a standing desk. I have a bottle of whiskey (American) sitting on top of my filing cabinet. A student gave it to me and I don't like and haven't taken it home. We have a bar in this building by the way :)
Omigoddess, a bar in my building would bring academe to a screeching full stop.

But it would be fun.

You're in Oz, as I recall?  If so, why I am not surprised?  Lovely land of lovely people who define fun.

"Face it, girls.  I'm older, and I have more insurance."     -- Towanda!
totoro
Friendly Neighborhood Troll and

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2012, 2:51:19 AM »

Yes this is Australia :) It is a cafe/restaurant and bar all in one in a historic (1914 is historic around here) building that has been extended by a newer complex where my office is. But it is a proper bar with one beer on tap (and lots in bottles etc.). Pretty pricey too. We were having drinks there early Friday evening... Of course, it isn't the only bar on campus... Much bigger one a few hundred metres walk away...
biologist_

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 3:31:05 PM »

I would like a shower somewhere in the building.  (There was a shower one floor away at one of the locations where I was a postdoc.)

In addition to saving the walk to the gym and back for an outdoor exercise break, there are practical work-related reasons to have showers in a science building: field work or lab activities can leave people dirty and/or smelly.

irhack
Marshwiggle

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 4:21:15 PM »

Yes this is Australia :) It is a cafe/restaurant and bar all in one in a historic (1914 is historic around here) building that has been extended by a newer complex where my office is. But it is a proper bar with one beer on tap (and lots in bottles etc.). Pretty pricey too. We were having drinks there early Friday evening... Of course, it isn't the only bar on campus... Much bigger one a few hundred metres walk away...

I've had a couple non-professional jobs where we were allowed to pay for things with paycheck deductions--when I was a busboy once we could buy drinks and have them taken out of our paycheck (even while being on the clock). I also worked at a secondary school where we could buy things from the bookstore using this system. I'm picturing a similar arrangement at your institution--having a bar tab automatically deducted from your paycheck. And wondering if you have any openings? I bet Australia's nicer in the winter too.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 4:22:19 PM by irhack » Logged
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 12:05:18 AM »

I don't pay to park, and won't.

Taste o' the Sixties
totoro
Friendly Neighborhood Troll and

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2012, 8:54:29 AM »

I've had a couple non-professional jobs where we were allowed to pay for things with paycheck deductions--when I was a busboy once we could buy drinks and have them taken out of our paycheck (even while being on the clock). I also worked at a secondary school where we could buy things from the bookstore using this system. I'm picturing a similar arrangement at your institution--having a bar tab automatically deducted from your paycheck. And wondering if you have any openings? I bet Australia's nicer in the winter too.

In this case it was just free drinks at the school's expense :) We are hiring all the time, it never seems to stop. If you have strongish research and you are in the right fields we might be interested. Some searches end up with no strong candidates. I guess you are in IR. That's one of our fields kind of. If you are actually serious PM me...
irhack
Marshwiggle

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2012, 9:10:44 AM »

tempting... maybe when the kids are older. It seems Australians are always coming to the Boston area for a couple years then going home... it'd be nice to do the reverse sometime.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: