• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 5:48:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: How many hours do you spend in your office each day?  (Read 20204 times)
danseuse322

« on: December 03, 2011, 1:11:54 AM »

I know the "how many hours a week do you work?" question has been covered often, but I'm wondering how many hours of that you all actually spend in the office vs. working at home. I work very efficiently with my laptop in my PJs and not well in professional clothes in a loud cramped office with constant interruptions, but I always feel guilty if I leave because it seems everyone else in my hall loves to work all day long in one chair. I should add that I live alone so working at home is much more peaceful for me. I do have an office requirement (35--CC) but I do time and leave, and then work usually. Anyone else? Do your schools have required hours outside the office hours for students?
totoro
Friendly Neighborhood Troll and
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 2:05:50 AM »

No, we don't have any requirement (research university). I probably do about 50/50. But when I'm on campus a lot of the time I'm not in my office but in seminars, meetings, and teaching etc.
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 2:12:57 AM »

20-30 hours a week, except when it is less. But I work all the damn time.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
lohai0

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 2:46:50 AM »

~15 hours. I have a beautiful newly repainted office with new carpet, but I have an annoying office mate. I easily work three times that at home each week.

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
12thfloor

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 3:22:37 AM »

I hardly ever work at home.  I read the forums at home! I do look at email at home.  I do read some work-related books - but work-related books and leisure reading are often indistinguishable for me.  Any writing I do at work - and so I quite often like to go in on a weekend, when I can have the place almost to myself (and some grad students usually).  During the term I usually work 8,30 - 5.30, though there are some days I'll take the afternoon off, or leave early.  WHen it isn't term time, I'm usually out by 4,30. 
12thfloor

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 3:24:47 AM »

And I always feel very furtive about going in on a weekend.  I feel embarrassed to be caught.  And I sometimes feel embarrassed about working late.  I wouldn't think any less of someone who came in less.  I'd think either they liked working at home, or they were good at managing their work and worked less.  I don't like to give the appearance of not being able to keep up in work-time - it seems more impressive to breeze in for a  few hours a day and still get everything done. 
_touchedbyanoodle_
is not worthy of a moniker resurrection.

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 9:13:01 AM »

It is very difficult for me to get my course prep and grading done in my office, because of a slew of distractions and a happy love for chatting with nearby colleagues, so I don't spend more hours there than I have to. I also commute an hour each way, so if I can avoid the drive on any given day, I do. This semester, I have been going in 3 days a week, to spend about 6 hours on campus, 4 of which are typically spent working at my office computer.

From home, I work all the time.

"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." -George Carlin
lotsoquestions

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 9:16:56 AM »

Not much beyond mandatory office hours.  But I've managed to write several books while sipping coffee in my delightful home office -- so no one seems to mind, really.
aside

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 9:35:01 AM »

I'm not required to stay in the office beyond mandatory office hours.  I'm on campus 45-50 hours a week, though, because my office is my preferred workspace during the day.  I work at home as needed on nights and weekends.
tigerseye

Formerly Seventhyear (and before that Sixthyear)

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 9:42:49 AM »

Pretty much 8-5, 5 days a week.   Later if I find myself in that magical 4 pm to 7 pm stretch where the building is quiet and I can get into a groove to get stuff done.  I bug out once every couple of weeks at 1 or 2 to go grade somewhere where no one can find me.

I'm at a SLAC in the sciences, so I've got research students who I need to be around for, both in terms of questions, instrument repair and safety.  If life would let me go in for a few hours every weekend, I would. 

I struggle to get the undisturbed space/time to actually THINK. 
bcohlan1

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 9:50:44 AM »

Maybe four hours a week (roughly double required office hours) when I'm teaching. I share a small office with six other graduate students, so it isn't a great place to get work done. Of course, when I'm not teaching I don't have an office at all.

"ASSUMING I EXIST, I MAY OR MAY NOT BE DOING OKAY" -T-Rex
genius_at_large
Wylie E. Coyote, Genius at Large

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 9:55:45 AM »

Let's see, on campus by 8:00 evering morning. Working until 9:00 or 10:00 every night. Sleeping at home. Must be the Christmas performance season.

I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
paddington_bear
"An endless source of information and entertainment."

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 10:03:15 AM »

~15 hours a week. Only about a third of that is official office hours, though. The rest is just the time between classes (3 classes Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays). I might spend a few more hours in my office on any given day, if there's more stuff that I need to get done, or if I don't think that I can be productive at home. (I live by myself, but I'm not always as disciplined as I should be.)
galactic_hedgehog
Procrastinating, Python-quoting, Blue Blazer-drinking, chocolate-chip cookie-eating, Pastafarian, Not So

Mind Ninja

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 10:18:33 AM »

I'm generally in my office when I'm on campus, though I occasionally get lunch or go to the library.  If I show up at about 9:00 and leave about 6:00 and subtract in-class time I'm there about 24 hours week.  Subtracting the goofing-of time brings that down to about 45 minutes.

busyslinky

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 10:55:05 AM »

7-5 most days.  every other weekend or so for another 10 hours.  Total of about 55 hours per week on campus/in office.

Such a wonderful toy!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: