• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 9:52:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 153
  Print  
Author Topic: Political speculation thread: And the Republican candidate will be?  (Read 282297 times)
treehugger1
The unhasty, Entish
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: August 12, 2011, 5:32:25 PM »

So, what do you think?

I'm just now tuning in to Republican campaign news and am shuddering at the idea that Rick Perry might be it. Not that all the candidates aren't shaping up to be even crazier than I had feared. But still, Perry held a day-long prayer meeting just last week. He's also insisted upon prayer as a viable policy tool. Oh yeah, and he's such a gifted fund-raiser.

Anyone want to calm me down? Or are we so totally doomed.

Not a member of the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement. May we live long and not die out.
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 5:48:55 PM »

I think Chris Christy, governor of NJ, may throw his hat into the ring. He's not socially conservative, but he's fiscally conservative---way beyond me.

New Jersey is getting its ducks in order through austerity measures. Ouch.

I think he's going to enter the race (or not) based on Obama's popularity (or unpopularity) at the critical hour.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
historywoman
Deep in the Heart of Texas!

Pie. Boston. Yes.

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 6:44:37 PM »

So, what do you think?

I'm just now tuning in to Republican campaign news and am shuddering at the idea that Rick Perry might be it. Not that all the candidates aren't shaping up to be even crazier than I had feared. But still, Perry held a day-long prayer meeting just last week. He's also insisted upon prayer as a viable policy tool. Oh yeah, and he's such a gifted fund-raiser.

Anyone want to calm me down? Or are we so totally doomed.

We.Are.All.Doomed.

Trust.Me.

Stick that in your trebuchet and fling it!
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 9:24:38 PM »

A month ago I thought it was Romney for sure, and I still think he is the only one with a shot at beating Obama. Now I think Perry has a good shot at the nomination but no chance in the general election. 

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
egilson

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 9:35:12 PM »

From the looks of things, it would be safest for them to nominate someone without a penis.

... and I've been trying for fifteen minutes to append a snide comment about Michele and Marcus Bachmann to that, but I just can't think of one that wouldn't be seen as outrageously sexist. So, here's a picture of some kittens instead.
zarathustra
Because the Chron says I'm a

Procrastifabulous by nature.

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 9:42:56 PM »

From the looks of things, it would be safest for them to nominate someone without a penis.

Wow. That's quite the article.

The Squishiest!
punchnpie
Have a great rabbit!

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 9:49:25 PM »

I still have no idea who it will be. Romney has major issues with a lot of voters - Mormon, 'Romneycare' in MA, some flip flopping on other issues. I wouldn't be so quick to say he's going to be the candidate. Newt can forget it. Between his issues with women and his siding with the left, I don't know anyone who would vote for him and that includes listening to a lot of callers on talk radio, who may like Newt for other things, but wouldn't vote for him if you paid them.

No matter how much people dream about it, Christie ain't gonna run, at least not this time around. I like him, but he's got his own problems with the super conservatives.  Tons of conservatives are trying to find the dope on Perry (not all conservatives are happy with a prayer day), to knock him down a peg.

Personally, from what I see on the conservative political sites, we're going to have problems with voters who will bypass the good while they hold out for the perfect. It just ain't gonna happen, so you have to look around and see who you think will get us out of this morass the best. Maybe that person is pro-choice, maybe s/he's a Mormon, maybe s/he did something in their state that you don't want to see at the federal level. I dunno. But I get the feeling that some people are going to have to bite their lip and vote 'R' rather than go third party or not vote at all.

I didn't watch the debates, but I dreamt about Cain last night. Maybe it's a sign.

He's allergic to chocolate. I had to beat him.  -Tower Heist-
fishbrains
I've been called a [member], but never a

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 9:51:36 PM »

Word on the street here in the Bible Belt:

Obama = Carter
Perry = Reagan

Can you say "landslide"?

Good luck sleeping tonight, peeps.

Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA,
Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet,
And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away.
It's okay: You can dare to be stupid!
~Weird Al
punchnpie
Have a great rabbit!

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 9:57:05 PM »

Obama = Carter
Perry = Reagan

Can you say "landslide"?

Good luck sleeping tonight, peeps.

I'll sleep fine (though I still don't think Perry has the lock on the candidacy that others seem to believe he has).

He's allergic to chocolate. I had to beat him.  -Tower Heist-
egilson

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 10:06:24 PM »

Obama = Carter

I'd buy that.

Perry = Reagan

I won't buy that. Reagan won in 1980 in part because people had forgotten what he actually did as governor of California (which was to vaguely oversee an essentially moderate government and sign the biggest tax increase in the state's history).
lyndonparker

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 10:16:27 PM »

For the nomination I would guess Perry or Palin, and the ticket will be a combination of the two.

Lyndon always has such a nice succinct way of putting things.
spork
If you are reading this, I am naked.

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 10:21:07 PM »

Romney is the John Kerry/Al Gore of the Republicans. Can't win. He's been out of office almost as long as Gingrich.

I'm going with Pawlenty. His wife is hot. Anita Thigpen has Texas hair.

Perry will implode after Bachman. Bachmann will make it obvious that she's completely insane, and it will be really really fun to watch.

a.k.a. gum-chewing monkey in a Tufts University jacket

"There are no bad ideas, only great ideas that go horribly wrong."

"Please do not force people who are exhausted to take medication for hallucinations." -- Memo from the Chair, Department of White Privilege Studies, Fiork University
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 10:28:20 PM »

Let's remember that the Republican primaries are winner-take-all. in a divided field a candidate could pick up 35-40% of the vote in a couple of big states and quickly have a commanding lead in delegates. Romney seems best positioned to win that way.

Perry is not a viable candidate in the general election.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
mountainguy
The no longer carbonated

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 10:30:28 PM »

Obama = Carter
Perry = Reagan

What freaks me out is that Perry has a vague physical resemblance to Reagan. That having been said, I think Larry is right that he will have electability issues if he wins the nomination. George Bush's Lt. Governor?? Not exactly a resume that appeals to swing voters.
southerntransplant
A man on a porcupine fence and a

No recess.

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 10:35:34 PM »

For the nomination I would guess Perry or Palin, and the ticket will be a combination of the two.

I so hope that Perry get into the general election. I switched parties just to get rid of my enemies, and I will definitely vote for Perry just to watch him fry in the light of day. I want to see him debate, and I want to see him curl into a fetal position whenever Brian Williams or Wolf Blitzer asks him what that Texas Miracle was all about, and if it was so goddamn miraculous, why is there a yawping chasm of a shortfall in the budget, and why is he taking that chasm out on the backs of the poor, the young, and the old...

That's all I want - to see Jowly McGoodhair vanish in a puff of rancid, gray, mind-searing smoke.

POOOOOOOOF!

Probably too much to ask. On the other hand, I'm batting 1.000 on all political enemies I have employed this strategy against...

<looks up>

What?

"...And on the other side of this wall is a whole 'nother studio that you'll never get to see...because, you know, fvck you guys."

Steve Albini, showing Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters around his studio
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 153
  Print  

Jump to: