• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 9:47:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Freakin' Blizzard  (Read 352670 times)
aandsdean
I feel affirmed that I'm truly a 8,000+ post
Distinguished Senior Member

Positively impactful on stakeholder synergies

« on: December 11, 2010, 5:22:56 PM »

Can't see.

Winds are howling, gusting to 60 mph or so.

Almost all the roads in the area are closed.

It was 40 degrees yesterday, supposed to get to -3 this evening.

That is all.

Que scay-je?
geonerd
As always, loving the irony and a

Do not take the bait.

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 5:26:40 PM »

Stay warm and stay safe.

Rational arguments do not generally work in Crazy Land.
profxfiles
I Am Not, Nor Have I Ever Been A Card-Carrying

I am done playing nice....

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 5:52:56 PM »

yeah, sucks here too--I was supposed to play a concert tonight that got cancelled... :(

"Personally, I liked the university. They gave us money and facilities, we didn't have to produce anything... You've never been out of the university.  You don't know what it's like out there! I've worked in the private sector...they expect results."
--Dan Aykroyd in Ghostbusters
secundem_artem
Stone cold humanist and finally a

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 5:55:19 PM »

My wife just LOVES this kind of weather.  Snow, ice, wind and cold are all her mad faves.  I love my wife more than anything but this weather is awful.  I wish I were in Fiji.

In my opinion, Secundem_artem is precisely correct. 

I think secundem_artem, rather, has hit the nail on the head.
gennimom
Somewhat Southern (Have I really posted that much?)

Let's get summer over with! Me want snow!

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 5:57:54 PM »

My wife just LOVES this kind of weather.  Snow, ice, wind and cold are all her mad faves.  I love my wife more than anything but this weather is awful.  I wish I were in Fiji.

GD? Is that you?

...only after reading gm's post, my new mantra is "always listen to gennimom".
Monday reeks! - Garfield
The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a person (or something like that).
indianalitchick

When did I become a senior member?

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 6:18:02 PM »

We in Indiana are expecting this weather late tonight/early Sunday.  Plus, I get lake-effect after the system snow moves through...
the_honey_badger

Not my post count---I ate the owner!

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 6:24:25 PM »

It is winter. You are in the snowbelt. Be grateful. At least it is pretty, you could ski or sled or skate.

Today, where I am we are having an average winter day.  55 degrees and blowing dirt. Everyday will be plus or minus 20 degrees and blowing dirt until summer.   In the summer, its 100 degrees and blowing dirt.  And, that my children is why they called it "The Dust Bowl."

Positively impactful on stakeholder synergies

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 6:26:32 PM »

It is winter. You are in the snowbelt. Be grateful. At least it is pretty, you could ski or sled or skate.

Today, where I am we are having an average winter day.  55 degrees and blowing dirt. Everyday will be plus or minus 20 degrees and blowing dirt until summer.   In the summer, its 100 degrees and blowing dirt.  And, that my children is why they called it "The Dust Bowl."

I think if you went skiing or sledding or something right now, the odds are quite good that you'd never come back, and they'd find you in April, slightly melty and beginning to decompose, in a vacant cornfield 100 yards from your back door.

Que scay-je?
the_honey_badger

Not my post count---I ate the owner!

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 6:29:38 PM »

I think if you went skiing or sledding or something right now, the odds are quite good that you'd never come back, and they'd find you in April, slightly melty and beginning to decompose, in a vacant cornfield 100 yards from your back door.

I read "Giants in the Earth" too my friend and it was a haystack quite a distance from Per Hansa's farmstead as I recall.
Tie a rope from your back door to the barn for those chores---I picked up that tip in "Little House on the Prairie"   I was one of those children who collected "survival tips."

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 6:30:42 PM »

We must have 10" and have probably shoveled at least 14" from the driveway today.  I'll see your -3 and raise, er, lower that to -12.  

This is January weather, not December.

"It is hard to be bipartisan when the other party is dominated by crazy people. " DvF
barred_owl
Elegant yet understated

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 6:31:17 PM »

I'm grateful, BTR, that is does not blow dirt around here, but I must take issue with the 'pretty' part.  From a distance, the sculpted drifts are kind of pretty, I admit.  But when the snow is forcibly blown in under the garage door, the birds have to fly sideways to get to the feeders (which are now hanging at a 30-degree angle from perpendicular), and you can't see the next-door neighbor's house 100' away--well, it's interesting, but not necessarily pretty.  :)

...I can't help rooting for the underdog underbird.
dr_alcott

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 6:44:21 PM »

Thinking about all you snowbound folks; hope you're enjoying the hot drink of your choice. I have to admit that the pictures all my Minnesota peeps are posting on Facebook are making me feel wistful. All we're getting here is a cold, yucky rain.

You must be your own snow, Dr_Alcott.  You must lift, and sparkle, and then melt away.

I love everyone here!
marfa

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 6:47:18 PM »

Thinking about all you snowbound folks; hope you're enjoying the hot drink of your choice. I have to admit that the pictures all my Minnesota peeps are posting on Facebook are making me feel wistful. All we're getting here is a cold, yucky rain.

It's made me start a web search for where I might buy Pimm's winter cup--a hot something is definitely in order!

"It is hard to be bipartisan when the other party is dominated by crazy people. " DvF
corny
maizetastic, grained-up

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 6:58:28 PM »

Likewise with the Facebook pictures. Here, it's about 60 degrees and mostly sunny, which is lovely, but...I'm a Midwesterner at heart, and part of me misses the apocalyptic snow. We hardly ever get more than a couple of inches around these parts, which nevertheless always somehow manages to shut the whole city down. Pfft. Stay safe and warm, snowbound folks. Have some cocoa.

It may just be bourbon in the garden today, and making the best of things.
gennimom
Somewhat Southern (Have I really posted that much?)

Let's get summer over with! Me want snow!

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 7:11:21 PM »

2 inches shuts everything down around here because the city realizes no one in these parts can drive in it and they don't want lawsuits.

64 here, but we're under a thunderstorm watch. Pretty close to statewide. It will get much colder after the front passes. The low is supposed to be in the low 20s tomorrow night. And for around here, that IS cold.

...only after reading gm's post, my new mantra is "always listen to gennimom".
Monday reeks! - Garfield
The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a person (or something like that).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: