"Favorite" conversations with students

<< < (1451/1786) > >>

llanfair:
I don't quite believe it, either, Mended_Drum.

barcrossliar:
Quote from: mended_drum on January 31, 2013,  6:24:28 PM

Yesterday.  Egad.

Deluded Student:  "Hi!  Are you Dr. Mended?"

Me:  "I am.  How can I help you?"

D.S. "I'm signed up for your advanced composition class, and I wanted to set up some meetings for the whole semester before your calendar fills up."

Me:  "That's quite responsible of you.  What do you imagine as the topic of these meetings?"

D.S. "See, I'm bad at writing and stuff, so I just substitute oral reports.  I wanted to set times to give you reports."

Me:  "Do you have a special accommodations form from the disability office that I should be looking for?  If not, I can give you their number..."

D.S. "Hey, I'm not disabled!  I just write bad!  All of my other teachers have let me do oral reports."

Me:  "Well, the major goal of this course is to improve your writing.  In order to do that, you'll have to do the writing assignments."

D.S.  "I don't believe this!  I don't like to write.  Which teacher should I take this class with who will be more interested in my learning?"

Me:  "Well, I think sections X, Y and Z are still open, but they're all writing courses, and you have to write in order to receive credit for a writing course."

D.S.  "Who is your boss!?"

Me:  "Dr. T.  He's right upstairs, if you want to speak to him."

D.S.  "Oh.  Well, that won't work.  I dropped his course last semester.  Never mind, I'm going to find someone who will do what I want!" 

No, no he won't. 

Wow!  Priceless!  It even checked the "You don't care about my learning" box (demonstrated by your attempt at forcing him to learn).

barnaclegoose:
Quote from: mended_drum on January 31, 2013,  6:24:28 PM

Yesterday.  Egad.

Deluded Student:  "Hi!  Are you Dr. Mended?"

Me:  "I am.  How can I help you?"

D.S. "I'm signed up for your advanced composition class, and I wanted to set up some meetings for the whole semester before your calendar fills up."

Me:  "That's quite responsible of you.  What do you imagine as the topic of these meetings?"

D.S. "See, I'm bad at writing and stuff, so I just substitute oral reports.  I wanted to set times to give you reports."

Me:  "Do you have a special accommodations form from the disability office that I should be looking for?  If not, I can give you their number..."

D.S. "Hey, I'm not disabled!  I just write bad!  All of my other teachers have let me do oral reports."

Me:  "Well, the major goal of this course is to improve your writing.  In order to do that, you'll have to do the writing assignments."

D.S.  "I don't believe this!  I don't like to write.  Which teacher should I take this class with who will be more interested in my learning?"

Me:  "Well, I think sections X, Y and Z are still open, but they're all writing courses, and you have to write in order to receive credit for a writing course."

D.S.  "Who is your boss!?"

Me:  "Dr. T.  He's right upstairs, if you want to speak to him."

D.S.  "Oh.  Well, that won't work.  I dropped his course last semester.  Never mind, I'm going to find someone who will do what I want!" 

No, no he won't. 

I'm surprised he didn't go the dictation route: "Well, I'll come give my oral report to you, and you can write down what I say, and then I'll have written work to hand in. Win-win!"

systeme_d_:
Quote from: biomancer on January 31, 2013,  1:44:34 PM

Ptarmigan, I bet two dozen homemade pizzelles that student 5 ends up shy of the next letter grade up by exactly the amount of points s/he'd have gotten from this 5% extra credit opportunity.

How do I get in on this bet, or one like it?
I really want the homemade pizzelles!

glowdart:
Quote from: mended_drum on January 29, 2013,  7:07:34 PM

Back in the early 90s, the grad stipend in my program was just over $8700.  No summer funding at all.

Back in the early 2000s, so was ours. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page