• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 8:59:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 47
  Print  
Author Topic: 2011 Tenure Track Cohort  (Read 203530 times)
sprout

« Reply #600 on: May 03, 2012, 8:05:12 PM »

Lucky.  Quarter system and we still have a month and a half!
prof_smartypants
Treasure-pilferin' and grog-swillin'
Distinguished Senior Member

You're getting hosed by small minds with no game.

« Reply #601 on: May 04, 2012, 11:07:04 AM »

Just got my annual review. Pretty great! Chair is happy with all three portions of my job. I got some internal grants and a pretty big-deal (although not big-money) external award. Her biggest concern was pacing - she wants me to slow down a bit so I don't burn out.

Fine with me! I'll concentrate on this home-buying nonsense and prepping for our upcoming Canada Trip!

laurel_knx

« Reply #602 on: May 04, 2012, 1:07:09 PM »

Just got my annual review. Pretty great! Chair is happy with all three portions of my job. I got some internal grants and a pretty big-deal (although not big-money) external award. Her biggest concern was pacing - she wants me to slow down a bit so I don't burn out.

I haven't gotten my official review yet, but I feel like this is my own evaluation of the last year. It's so hard not to jump on every opportunity, grant, or collaboration immediately, because I know each one can help my research agenda. Now that the projects are starting to get going, I can see how burn out could easily happen if I don't manage my commitments.
golden_ticket

« Reply #603 on: May 04, 2012, 4:30:25 PM »

just checking in while I'm proctoring the first of my two final exams. Tue was the last day of classes and I'm so glad it's over. The whole cancer thing has been exhausting. I can't believe I even made it through the semester! I had to take a day off here and there because of chemo side effects but I was mostly able to keep up with my teaching. I still have 4 more rounds of chemo  -every three weeks until July, but at least I won't be teaching in the summer. So at least I don't have to worry about having to conform to some external schedule. If I have to lie in bed for a couple of days so be it. I'm looking forward to getting back to my research this summer. I will be overseeing 3 RAs who will help me out (the dept has funds to pay for them), and I will be supervising my first senior thesis. I haven't been able to do any research this semester (just keeping up with my teaching was barely possible), so I welcome the change in pace. I have to co-author a book chapter for which we got the deadline extended until the end of May because of my health situation. This will be tight! I haven't gotten my annual review yet, my chair is behind on writing it. I haven't heard people voice any concerns, so I assume that things are going ok. Has anybody had others do classroom observations? Usually the chair comes in at least once per semester, but nobody has ever visited. Maybe they trust me that things are going well, or maybe they didn't want to stress me out even more with all that has been going on. The dean already said that I could extend the tenure clock if needed. I hope I can get a lot of stuff done this summer. I'm not well enough to travel to [home country], but my parents will be visiting for 10 days. This will be nice too. Happy grading to all!
year2year

« Reply #604 on: May 12, 2012, 7:50:07 AM »

Experiencing an odd phenomenon; wondering if anyone else is.

Maybe because I've been hardwired for motion prior to the stability of a TT job, but as this semester closes down I have this nagging, "where next?" feeling. The job here has been great, for me at least -- our department lost four junior faculty members, and the college in general lost double that number of junior TT people. I'm sure this exodus has contributed to the vibe, but I think part of it is just not being used to knowing I'll have a job next year. So I troll the internet, considering the relative merits of this town and that town and this college and that university.

Ugh. Sort of a deeper version of what happened when the job listings for my field came out -- couldn't help but look. But then the feeling was more, "glad I don't have to deal with THIS." Now, it's weirder, a bit unsettling.
compdoc

« Reply #605 on: May 15, 2012, 5:43:04 PM »

year2year, I have a bit of that "what next?" Don't enjoy it at all.

My first year on the TT was a lot more stressful than I thought it would be. University wide cuts. Significant negative accusations.

Teaching was also more time consuming than ever before, even though I have had 5/5/2 and 6/6/1s recently.

Am I happy? I don't know.

Did I survive? Yes.

Did I do much to improve my CV? Not really.

I did get a grant, which I will be working on over the summer. I also have a new class prep for the fall, which I will also be working on.

Too many days I think, "Why did I take this job?" That's even though I like the town and my colleagues.

I am hoping this will not continue.
humanfactor

« Reply #606 on: May 16, 2012, 12:33:34 AM »

Having started last May, I've been looking back on my first year here (med school). The new city is great. Career-wise, things are moving along. The pubs are coming out: 9 papers, 1 chapter, 2 letters/editorials since starting. Keep in mind that I don't teach (except guest lectures) or do clinical work - 100% research - but on the other hand I am responsible for my own salary. Luckily, I just landed one key grant as PI that covers most of my salary for a couple years -- this substantially improves my status in this super competitive, soft-money environment. The grant writing doesn't stop, however, and I still have a nagging worry about getting sufficient funding come tenure time.

I've been working hard on avoiding distractions and saying no. I've also benefited from amazing mentors and strong institutional support. There are lots of things I would redo if I were a time traveler but overall I'm happy with my stress levels, amount of sleep, and work-life balance. I wish I were teaching a bit more but at the same time I'm glad to be able to concentrate on establishing a research career.

Hope everyone else is hanging in there!
formerly_the_fiver
In the clubhouse, a

Keepin' it real?

« Reply #607 on: May 22, 2012, 3:18:11 PM »

Hi Everybody,

I finished my semester a bit over a week ago, officially with commencement on the 11th. It's been a long year! I thought I'd check in and react to year2year's comment. I don't know that I'd put it the same was as you did, but I definitely felt an unexpected letdown during finals week and immediately after. I think for me that part of it is going from extremely intense days of scrambling to finish everything to unstructured time. I also check other jobs on the wiki fairly regularly, although I only applied for three. There's a lot I like about my job - my colleagues are helpful, friendly, and welcoming, and my students are generally really nice - but there are some things I don't like about the university as a whole, and I really don't like the geographic area so much (although it does have some advantages too). It is definitely weird to not HAVE to be looking for a job, like I had been for so many years.

Golden Ticket, I hope you are doing well, not feeling too bad, and getting some research in. It's great that your parents are coming here to help you out. I'll be thinking of you.

Prof Smartypants, congratulations on your annual review, and on buying the house (which I saw on the other thread). It sounds like you're in for the long haul.

<Gotta run, on jury duty and was just called.>

I guess you and me is just a ... couple of hangnails on the fickle finger of fate.
nekolove

« Reply #608 on: May 22, 2012, 4:39:41 PM »

I haven't felt let down here at the end of the semester, but it's because I haven't had too many moments to even relax yet. I had two weeks of meetings and other things to wrap up the semester, and then immediately went on a week long vacation with husband and MIL.

I do find it harder to be productive with my unstructured time, but ann05 started a writing group for the new faculty at my University, and we've been meeting once a week, which has definitely kept me on track. Also, husband works from home and is adamant that I be productive over the summer, which has also really kept me on track. I have a conference I'm prepping for in late July (one speaker as a part of a panel on a subject I'm only tangentially familiar/comfortable with). And I received a small grant for a research project for the summer.

Also, we found a house (YAY!) and are set to close next week. So that will take up a lot of time. We're first time home buyers so there should be a pretty steep learning curve. But I'm really excited about home ownership, and really love this town.

For the most part, I haven't looked at jobs or really even thought about something else. I'm just happy to put down some roots for a few years. It's been a pretty nomadic experience up to now.

How's everyone else faring this summer?
prof_smartypants

« Reply #609 on: May 22, 2012, 4:44:04 PM »

GAH. OK. So classes ended about 2 weeks ago. I had a lovely time at graduation, and have  been trying to prepare for my upcoming research trip. I was hoping to be able to close on our house this week (since we leave for the research trip on June 2), but the seller is dragging their feet and I don't know if that's going to happen.

So instead, I'm applying for a grant, working on the lit review for my upcoming trip (which I should have started weeks, if not months ago), and then I get a call from a co-author on a completely different project that the July 1 deadline for the special issue we had targeted our (not yet started) paper for is actually a June 1 deadline!

YAY. Let the fire drill begin! I thought summer was supposed to be relaxing!

Congrats to you, Nekolove! Glad to see someone's summer is going as planned!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 4:45:22 PM by prof_smartypants » Logged

ann05

« Reply #610 on: May 24, 2012, 11:33:35 AM »

Hey all, the first year is over! Yay!

I haven't looked at jobs at all, except occasionally checking in on the wiki because I want to see what opportunities are available for friends and how they're doing. The notion of applying to a job and/or moving sounds exhausting. Also, I'm very happy with my job and our friends and so forth here. Still not thrilled about the geographical location we're in and all of it's peculiarities, but I'm coping.

I've been really excited to be done with classes and have time to be productive on research. I also received a grant to go on a research trip for a couple of weeks and I've been doing as much background research as I can before I hit the archives. This is another downside to my job, our library is frankly terrible and I have to Interlibrary Loan in everything I need to read. But they're good about getting stuff in fast.

My big fear is that I have nothing in the publication pipeline (well, a chapter in an anthology that's being shopped to publishers, but I haven't heard anything about the status of that). I submitted one article to the top journal in my field this year (sadly, rejected). I am working hard on a book project, but that's a couple of years out and I'm concerned about having such a huge gap in publications. The problem is that in my field there just aren't that many journals and so everybody is trying to publish in the same small set of options. The rejection rates are huge. I need to figure out what to do about this, because I need to get something out ASAP.
gotmilk

« Reply #611 on: May 29, 2012, 4:20:34 PM »

We made it to the end of the first year! Woohoo!

Glad you are doing okay Golden Ticket and that the summer sounds promising!

I am jealous of all the house buying. I remain under the mountain of divorce debt BUT it is significantly (p<0.04) less than it was this time last year.

It was a good year; I would not say I have the "what next" feeling y2y reports but definitely a mild case of imposter syndrome. I have a lab, and I feel stressed every time I set foot in it (so daily). It probably does not help that the tissue culture center is convinced I am the lab tech and asks me who my PI is every time I pick up materials.

Papers got out - 1 in print, 1 accepted, 4 in review. I also had a great year with my photography and was published in Science, a NSF report, and had journal cover. I told my Chair I consider the year an "accept with revisions" - I know what not to do at least!

I hope everyone has a great summer!
compdoc

« Reply #612 on: May 30, 2012, 7:42:50 PM »

profsmartypants, I hope that June 1 deadline is getting done.

I agree that it doesn't feel like summer. I'm working just as long hours (though on different things) as I was when school was in session.
systeme_d_

No T, no shade. Usually.

« Reply #613 on: May 30, 2012, 10:22:34 PM »

Lucky.  Quarter system and we still have a month and a half!

Same here, Sprout!  Tomorrow's my last day of class, though!

prof_smartypants

« Reply #614 on: May 31, 2012, 8:20:52 AM »

profsmartypants, I hope that June 1 deadline is getting done.

I agree that it doesn't feel like summer. I'm working just as long hours (though on different things) as I was when school was in session.

We have a draft! It's not what either of us would typically submit to a journal, but since it's a special issue, and we're pretty short on time, it might have to do. I'm editing this AM!

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 47
  Print  

Jump to: