• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 3:30:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Course materials haven't arrived yet  (Read 7246 times)
amarieh5

« on: March 21, 2012, 8:28:35 PM »

I'm an adjunct teaching a lab course that starts at the end of this month.  I was told that another professor (teaching a different section of the course) is responsible for writing the manual for all of sections (for consistency).  I have tried to contact this professor several times via email to see if I could read through the manual.  With the course beginning so soon I'd really like to know what I'm getting into.  I think I have sent the professor about 4 emails since last November, and none of them have received a reply.  I am getting a little worried at this point and I feel unprepared since I don't know what the content is for the course.  I know some people do things last minute, but I am not like this and it will affect my teaching too.  Should I try to contact the department chair to see if they can tell me more about the protocol for this course or send the materials?  I am afraid of sounding like a needy adjunct.  Or should I just be patient - they have to send the materials at some point in the next couple of days, right?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 8:31:20 PM by amarieh5 » Logged
systeme_d_
Distinguished Senior Member

No T, no shade. Usually.

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 8:38:44 PM »

Call the department's administrative assistant first, establish that the professor in question is indeed the one supposed to be writing the manual, and then get her/his phone number and a time when the administrative assistant knows that the professor will be in her/his office.

It may be that your emails are not getting through to the professor in question.

If you can't get the professor in question to return a phone call within a reasonable period of time, then call the chair.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 8:39:46 PM by systeme_d_ » Logged

biop_grad

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 10:13:50 PM »

I wouldn't worry too much at this point.  Are you teaching an actual lab in the first week?

Unfortunately, much of this often is done last minute.  Can you ask for a copy of last year's materials?
adjunctprincipessa

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 10:57:56 PM »

It is not unusual for adjuncts to not receive course materials until the first day of class.  If you are extremely anxious, you can go to the professor's office hours and ask to borrow a copy of the manual, which you can xerox yourself in the office if they don't have an extra copy to give you. 

If you are less anxious, you just wing the first day and pick up the manual at that time.    I didn't teach labs, so I just winged the first day of class whenever I taught at an institution that hired me last minute or didn't give me sufficient information about my job.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: