• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 8:44:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 210
  Print  
Author Topic: All Things Uterine  (Read 813789 times)
biomancer
trying to be the person my dog thinks I am
Distinguished Senior Member

CHE Fora Hazmat Team

« Reply #2205 on: March 02, 2012, 8:37:07 AM »

Good luck, Palla.  Who knows - it may be all you need!

+1 - here's hoping that the ablation goes smoothly and fixes the problems.

FWIW, your GYN may want to do the ablation first because some insurance companies (including mine) insist on trying less invasive procedures before they're willing to pay for the hyst.  I had one surgery to remove cysts, then a six-month course of Lupron (a hormone that is basically supposed to shut down the reproductive system and reboot it), and only when those failed to take care of my problems would the insco approve the spay surgery.

Clueless people can be dangerous. The acidic environment they can spread often needs to be neutralized, and humor is basic.  - Dellaroux

I have realized that it is best to assume everyone is bonkers until they demonstrate otherwise. - ChaosByDesign
watermusic

« Reply #2206 on: March 04, 2012, 7:31:03 PM »

Yesterday I had to change my underwear and pants twice. Thankfully I was at home both times. I'm not fond of walking around with visible stains.

Thought you ladies would appreciate this.

http://i.imgur.com/wOzNd.png
llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #2207 on: March 04, 2012, 9:16:02 PM »

Yesterday I had to change my underwear and pants twice. Thankfully I was at home both times. I'm not fond of walking around with visible stains.

Thought you ladies would appreciate this.

http://i.imgur.com/wOzNd.png

OMG, yes.  That is exactly the relationship I had with mine.  I don't miss it One. Little. Bit.

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
delta_geek

« Reply #2208 on: April 05, 2012, 10:36:03 PM »

Howdy - I've been following this thread on and off since the beginning (I've mostly lurked and that under multiple monikers), but never had much to say.  Well, that has changed.  My last period was just horrifically painful.  They'd been getting steadily worse, and I just hit the tipping point. 

Trip to the gyno resulted in an immediate endometrial biopsy followed a week later by the joys of an ultrasound.  Diagnoses are a complex ovarian cyst that she doesn't think is causing the problems and a small but poorly placed fibroid that probably is. 

So, the Doc has recommended I choose between the following three options.  (She had previously mentioned Mirena as well, but I think the location of the fibroid eliminated that option, which I wasn't excited about anyway.)

1.  Try birth control pills to see if they help. (Cheap, but I suck at remembering to take pills)
2.  Try Depo to see if it helps. (Cheap, may cause side effects and you're stuck with it 12 weeks)
3.  Go straight to ablation, and remove the fibroid while she's in there. (Novasure - more expensive, more invasive, more likely to work.)

I'm reading the old posts with much more comprehension, but I'd love to hear any advice y'all would like to share.   Specifically, the one thing in the Novasure booklet that threw me was a reference to watery discharge for up to 3 months.  What's that about?

(Other relevant info - 36yo lesbian with no children and no desire to have any in the future.  I have a pretty good but high deductible health plan, so the first $1,500 is out of pocket.  Course I'm making "good" progress on that just with the tests.)

"Sorry, I can't do that. I have to give my goldfish a bath." -Inspired by Kiana
biomancer

CHE Fora Hazmat Team

« Reply #2209 on: April 06, 2012, 12:00:20 PM »

Welcome, Delta_Geek!

Having been through 20 years of ovario-uterine hell while trying fully one-third of the BC pills available by prescription, I don't advocate #1 or #2.  It takes 3+ months to see if the hormonal BC of any stripe is having any effect, and if it's not you try a different one, and it can take y e a r s for you to find the right formulation by trial and error.  Or, (like me) you find the right one, then switch jobs/insco's, and now the pill that works is no longer covered and you're back to square one.

My vote is go straight to #3 (ablation).  It's most likely to work, and won't prolong your suffering in the meantime.  Yeah, it's more expensive, but you'd be spending that money over time anyway on anti-inflammatories and extra pads/tampons anyway (and replacements for the clothes that get inadvertently ruined along the way).   

If it's ablation by abdominal incision, have your doc remove the cyst as well and take a look around with the scope to see what else is in there.  I had a pile of tiny cysts that didn't show up by ultrasound but were causing massive pain because of their locations.  If it's ablation by vagina, you won't have that option, but you'll want to keep an eye on those cysts.

Clueless people can be dangerous. The acidic environment they can spread often needs to be neutralized, and humor is basic.  - Dellaroux

I have realized that it is best to assume everyone is bonkers until they demonstrate otherwise. - ChaosByDesign
delta_geek

« Reply #2210 on: April 06, 2012, 8:07:00 PM »

Welcome, Delta_Geek!

Having been through 20 years of ovario-uterine hell while trying fully one-third of the BC pills available by prescription, I don't advocate #1 or #2.  It takes 3+ months to see if the hormonal BC of any stripe is having any effect, and if it's not you try a different one, and it can take y e a r s for you to find the right formulation by trial and error.  Or, (like me) you find the right one, then switch jobs/insco's, and now the pill that works is no longer covered and you're back to square one.

My vote is go straight to #3 (ablation).  It's most likely to work, and won't prolong your suffering in the meantime.  Yeah, it's more expensive, but you'd be spending that money over time anyway on anti-inflammatories and extra pads/tampons anyway (and replacements for the clothes that get inadvertently ruined along the way).   

If it's ablation by abdominal incision, have your doc remove the cyst as well and take a look around with the scope to see what else is in there.  I had a pile of tiny cysts that didn't show up by ultrasound but were causing massive pain because of their locations.  If it's ablation by vagina, you won't have that option, but you'll want to keep an eye on those cysts.

I've been thinking a lot about the cyst today.  I've come to the conclusion I need more information.

And I remembered I have a short term disability issue.  Basically, if I were to have complications now, I'd only have two weeks paid leave no matter what.  Starting in August I'll have much longer paid medical leave from my employer.  So I'm hesitant to risk a delay-able surgical intervention before then.  I know major complications from ablation are unlikely, but I'm super risk averse.

So, at least today, this is what I'm thinking for strategy.  1.  Start one of the hormonal BC methods.   Who knows, I might get lucky.  2.  Go for the follow up abdominal ultrasound in May, to see whether the cyst actually does resolve itself over the next month.  3.  Do the additional test to get a better look at what's going on in the uterine lining - the nurse went over that quickly as something to be discussed more if I wanted the ablation - an ultrasound while the uterus is filled with fluid?  Does that sound right? 

So by July I'll have the diagnostic info I need, and have 3 months of hormonal BC, which might help medically, or just by being on record could help if the insurance company wants to make an issue of it.  And then I can schedule the ablation, or whatever option then seems most appropriate, in August.

So what are the flaws in that plan? 

<wandering back to pg 48 where I left off last night...>

melba_frilkins
Doing laundry.
Member-Moderator

« Reply #2211 on: April 06, 2012, 8:46:18 PM »

1.  Try birth control pills to see if they help. (Cheap, but I suck at remembering to take pills)
2.  Try Depo to see if it helps. (Cheap, may cause side effects and you're stuck with it 12 weeks)

What about a Nuva ring? You only have to remember once a month, but if you hate it, you can take it out immediately. I don't know that they are cheap, but you can often get 1-2 months worth as free samples from your practitioner.

Light up the corners of your neighborhood with disco balls matched with dancing green and violet beams.
llanfair

Whither Canada?

« Reply #2212 on: April 06, 2012, 9:00:54 PM »

BTDT, Delta_Geek - I can tell you that hysterectomy at 35 (while keeping the ovaries) is the best thing I ever did.  In my case, the problem was fibroids - turned out there was more fibroid than uterus - and I'd bled myself white.  If you have that option, and you're OK with it, don't hesitate. 

biomancer

CHE Fora Hazmat Team

« Reply #2213 on: April 07, 2012, 8:02:29 AM »

BTDT, Delta_Geek - I can tell you that hysterectomy at 35 (while keeping the ovaries) is the best thing I ever did.  In my case, the problem was fibroids - turned out there was more fibroid than uterus - and I'd bled myself white.  If you have that option, and you're OK with it, don't hesitate. 

+1.  I didn't bring it up since you didn't mention it as one of your possibilities, but I've been so incredibly much more healthy since my spay surgery, and having it was the best thing I could have done for myself.  Of course, there's a longer recovery from a more invasive surgery, so maybe trying hormones for now and scheduling surgery for next summer might be an option?

delta_geek

« Reply #2214 on: April 07, 2012, 11:18:00 PM »

+1.  I didn't bring it up since you didn't mention it as one of your possibilities, but I've been so incredibly much more healthy since my spay surgery, and having it was the best thing I could have done for myself.  Of course, there's a longer recovery from a more invasive surgery, so maybe trying hormones for now and scheduling surgery for next summer might be an option?

I don't have any attachment to my uterus, and I don't think the doc would object - she suggested the ablation immediately after the endometrial biopsy, ie before the results of it or the ultrasound, so definitely not slow on the draw.  But I'm also not excited about major surgery.  I've only ever had my wisdom teeth out, under "conscious sedation."  IE, IV Valium & Versed.  Never had general. 

So I'm willing to try a few things first.  One round of pills.  One ablation. I'm pretty determined that either I'm happily surprised that the pills work, or the ablation happens July/August. That's given the info I have now.  If further tests show many more fibroids than the one the ultrasound could see, I may change my mind.  See exactly how accommodating my insurance will be about just yanking good ol' Ethel.  Same with the ovary. If the cyst goes away and there are no new ones in the meantime, great.  If not, well, I'm not gonna be sentimental about them either. 

Yes, she has a name.  My wife's is Lucy.  Yes, our sense of humor is that wierd. 

llanfair

Whither Canada?

« Reply #2215 on: April 08, 2012, 6:19:15 AM »

Ethel is a perfect name for a somewhat cranky uterus, IMHO.

biomancer

CHE Fora Hazmat Team

« Reply #2216 on: April 08, 2012, 7:37:02 AM »

Ethel & Lucy - I love it!

I never thought to name my uterus (though, in retrospect, "Bloody Mary" might have been appropriate), but the largest of the recurring ovarian cysts eventually got the name "Wilson" (for the volleyball in Castaway).

llanfair

Whither Canada?

« Reply #2217 on: April 08, 2012, 11:44:31 AM »

Wegie called her cyst Slazenger, IIRC, because it was the size of a tennis (?) ball.

I could've called my fibroids Titleist, if I'd known how big they were.  People do miss a lot of chances.

palla

« Reply #2218 on: April 08, 2012, 3:30:31 PM »

Hi Delta_Geek.  I had the ablation a few weeks ago (over spring break).  It was great.  I went in early in the morning and was home three hours later.  That covered everything from signing pre-op forms to recovery.  I slept most of that day, and the next day I was at the grocery store and felt fine.  I had some watery discharge for a few days.  My first period was a little spotting for 2 days or so.  I have had a few days with spotting since then (when I do heavy exercising, especially) but it is better than before.  I was bleeding non-stop before the ablation.  By non-stop, I mean I had about two days a month without bleeding and I was bleeding through tampon/pad combo in 30 minutes for at least a week out of the month.

So I had no problems with the ablation.  I don't know what is best in your situation, but it has worked great so far (knock on wood).

Good luck!
delta_geek

« Reply #2219 on: April 08, 2012, 5:21:11 PM »

First off, let me say that I HATE vaginal ultrasounds. It's just too much like a redneck's version of an alien abduction.

That quote was just so awesome I had to bring it forward for anyone else who missed it.  I'm up to pg 105, I think.   I found a description of a sonohysterography and I think that's the test the nurse was describing.  I also found explanations about regular vs complex cysts.  Mine is complex, but I didn't know enough to ask what that meant, so I'll follow up on that tomorrow. 

Also, some of the pictures of the dermoid cysts on the interwebz are really disturbing. Really, really disturbing.

Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 210
  Print  

Jump to: