• June 26, 2016
June 26, 2016, 2:24:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 357 358 [359] 360 361 ... 936
  Print  
Author Topic: Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!  (Read 2484190 times)
marigolds
looks far too young to be a
Distinguished Senior Member

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #5370 on: May 03, 2012, 4:07:54 pm »

Chocolate?  Filled with alcohol?  Count me in!

<pops into the kitchen for a few minutes>
<emerges with a large platter covered with rum balls to share>

These are the BEST. It's a liquid alcohol center, with a crusty sugar ball enclosing it, which is coated in really good chocolate. They are absolutely addictive.

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
genius_at_large
Wylie E. Coyote, Genius at Large

« Reply #5371 on: May 03, 2012, 9:35:15 pm »

Student-athlete has missed the two weekly quizzes that have been on the schedule since the term began, as he knew he would since the beginning because of the established game schedule. All students can drop their two lowest quiz grades, so this has not affected his grade at all. Day before yesterday, I get a message from the athletics rep saying that the athlete has complained that I am not complying with our university athletics policy because he has not made up the quizzes. (I'm guessing the complaint emerged because he finally noticed that one of the quizzes he did take earned a D.)

Of course, S-A is ignoring the part of our policy that requires the athlete to approach the professor before drop/add period is over, to discuss how to deal with missed assignments. Student has not said one word to me the entire term (to this moment) about dealing with missed quizzes or the midterm.

Student then proceeds to skip yesterday's class and also fails to turn in the assignment due yesterday. He had earlier told me he had an afternoon game and if it went long, he might have to miss class. But what he didn't realize yesterday is that the athletic rep had emailed me earlier yesterday afternoon that the game had ended and that S-A should therefore be coming to class.

I'm furious for two reasons. First because the student's laziness in not talking with me about the quizzes earlier means that I have to choose between (a) giving him the same quizzes everyone else took, but after the graded quizzes have been returned and the material further discussed in class, with a resulting huge advantage over other students, or (b) taking the time to create and grade two entirely new quizzes.

The second reason I'm banging my head is that the athletic rep seems solely concerned about S-A's points, not his learning or fairness to other students. The rep had no problem with his taking the exact same quizzes the other students had, with graded versions and vastly extra study time available.

This rant is ending with a question. I looked through the NCAA website for regulations about what accommodations are required for Division I athletes whose games make them miss tests and quizzes, but couldn't find a link to this type of regulation. Could anyone point me to the relevant rules?
I for one am appalled at the money thrown to athletes, just to get them to come to schools that are worse off academically for their presence (or lack thereof).

I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.

I don't get lost-I like to investigate alternative destinations.
professor_pat

« Reply #5372 on: May 03, 2012, 11:04:29 pm »

I for one am appalled at the money thrown to athletes, just to get them to come to schools that are worse off academically for their presence (or lack thereof).

That may be true in many cases, but in my case the athlete is a smart kid. He sits in the back of the class, never says anything, and generally has his cell in hand, but he writes beautifully and picks up knowledge quickly. As I mentioned above, he's likely to end up with an A in the class whether he gets to make up the missed quizzes or just drops them.

In looking for information through my university, I found that although the standard form letter we all get about policies around athletes missing stuff is ambiguous, there's another policy stating that per NCAA, athletes are not allowed to receive special benefits not available to other students. I think that typically refers to free meals, transportation, etc., but it sure seems like getting to make up quizzes when other students can't would fall into that category.

I'm waiting to hear back from some higher-ups about my own situation - will report back.

To me, forums are more of a relaxing period in which the poster can allow himself or himself to be lost in a sea of wonder.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #5373 on: May 04, 2012, 5:27:15 am »

That may be true in many cases, but in my case the athlete is a smart kid. He sits in the back of the class, never says anything, and generally has his cell in hand, but he writes beautifully and picks up knowledge quickly. As I mentioned above, he's likely to end up with an A in the class whether he gets to make up the missed quizzes or just drops them.

In looking for information through my university, I found that although the standard form letter we all get about policies around athletes missing stuff is ambiguous, there's another policy stating that per NCAA, athletes are not allowed to receive special benefits not available to other students. I think that typically refers to free meals, transportation, etc., but it sure seems like getting to make up quizzes when other students can't would fall into that category.

I'm waiting to hear back from some higher-ups about my own situation - will report back.

I have always interpreted this to mean no special privileges. And, one of this is they don't get to turn in or do things late since I never let any student do those things. So, homework, for example has to be turned in before the trip, because it will not be accepted late. I now use an online publisher provided system for homework so that's not a big deal For most.

I do not allow make up exams, generally, but students can miss one exam during the regular se,ester. So we look,at three schedule of excused absences to see if they are going to miss more than one because of university excused absences. If so, I let them make up any over the one, but they still have to take it before the trip.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 5:27:50 am by octoprof » Logged

Love your neighbor.

Your new cephaloverlord.
ALL HAIL TO THE OCTO!!!

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
cgfunmathguy
Beer-brewing

« Reply #5374 on: May 04, 2012, 7:25:41 am »

Aggg...I had a student miss an exam earlier in the term and they didn't contact me to make it up until I had already turned that exam back to the class.  They had a very valid reason for missing complete with documentation, but not so valid a reason for not contacting me, so it was kind of a gray area as to whether they could make it up.  I decided to allow the make-up after the final today.  So what do they do?  They missed both the final and the make-up.  Well, that's two less items to grade this weekend but 30 minutes of modifying the exam to use as a make-up that I can never get back. 
This is why my syllabus states that students who miss an exam must contact me within 24 hours of the exam in order to be eligible for a make-up. No contact = no make-up. I make exceptions based on extreme circumstances, but there's still a deadline. There's also a deadline for making up the exam.

Alas, greatness and meaning are rarely coterminous with popular familiarity.
anon99

« Reply #5375 on: May 04, 2012, 8:53:38 am »

Look at their schedule and tell them that SA can make up the assignments on X day (when there is no game) and if they fail to do so at that time as per the syllabus they receive a zero.  I'd also email the rep and the student in the same email and say that the student has not contacted you regarding missed work and that the request should first come from SA.
archman

« Reply #5376 on: May 04, 2012, 9:14:21 am »

Student asked me during a test what "remnant" meant.

The downspiral of american literacy continues...
prof_cj
Still uses actual books for his gradebooks

« Reply #5377 on: May 05, 2012, 12:20:17 pm »

It's official;

MS Office's auto-fill in citation option for MLA (probably every citation type, actually) is The Worst Thing Ever.

If you can't tell, I've been grading papers a lot.
genius_at_large

« Reply #5378 on: May 05, 2012, 3:55:24 pm »

It's official;

MS Office's auto-fill in citation option for MLA (probably every citation type, actually) is The Worst Thing Ever.

I'm increasingly frustrated by the default settings in Word 2007 that many students use, especially the spacing it puts between paragraphs.

llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #5379 on: May 05, 2012, 4:18:02 pm »

It's official;

I'm increasingly frustrated by the default settings in Word 2007 that many students use, especially the spacing it puts between paragraphs.

Gawd, yes, that drives me up the wall.  Both the sh!tty default settings, and the fact that students can't be arsed to change them.

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
genius_at_large

« Reply #5380 on: May 05, 2012, 4:24:24 pm »

It's official;

Gawd, yes, that drives me up the wall.  Both the sh!tty default settings, and the fact that students can't be arsed to change them.
I've just decided that the next time I will include a style sheet with the syllabus that states specifically what I expect in the way of page numbers, formatting, spacing, etc. We have a style guide, but it unfotunately doesn't give all the information students need.

llanfair

Whither Canada?

« Reply #5381 on: May 05, 2012, 4:27:35 pm »

It's official;

I've just decided that the next time I will include a style sheet with the syllabus that states specifically what I expect in the way of page numbers, formatting, spacing, etc. We have a style guide, but it unfotunately doesn't give all the information students need.

Good luck convincing them that it's actually important enough to bother trying to fix.  My students think I'm picking nits when I tell them I want "eighteenth century" rather than "18th century".

prof_cj
Still uses actual books for his gradebooks

« Reply #5382 on: May 05, 2012, 5:19:29 pm »

It's official;

Along w/the terrible auto-settings, once my students figured out that Word's got a citation fill-in (one that's FULL of flaws when it comes to MLA and APA) they totally forgot everything I told them about how to do citations. I'm going to have to make a general announcement about the next major research papers that they can't use citation generators like that anymore.

Ugh, I'm gonna seem like such a dinosaur by telling them to use their guideline/style handbooks instead of something like MLAgenerator.com or whatever.
llanfair

Whither Canada?

« Reply #5383 on: May 05, 2012, 5:23:20 pm »

Along w/the terrible auto-settings, once my students figured out that Word's got a citation fill-in (one that's FULL of flaws when it comes to MLA and APA) they totally forgot everything I told them about how to do citations. I'm going to have to make a general announcement about the next major research papers that they can't use citation generators like that anymore.

Ugh, I'm gonna seem like such a dinosaur by telling them to use their guideline/style handbooks instead of something like MLAgenerator.com or whatever.

So that's why I'm getting all those full citations, instead of abbreviated ones after the first one! CJ, it doesn't work any better for Chicago, sadly.

barcrossliar
I guess anyone can be a

« Reply #5384 on: May 05, 2012, 7:53:28 pm »

So that's why I'm getting all those full citations, instead of abbreviated ones after the first one! CJ, it doesn't work any better for Chicago, sadly.

I apologize students actually listening to me.  I don't care a bit about what style is used as long as it's reasonably consistent, so I send students to Son of Citation Machine to get them to list enough information on their citations that I could locate them.

Yeah, in my field, Journal A uses a completely different style than Journals B-Z.  I just tell them the need to include all of the info and be consistent.  I do support other profs demanding a particular style, because Journal G doesn't want to get a submission using Journal Q's format.

Every educated person's not a plumb greenhorn.

"where whining mendeth nothing, wherefore whine?"--R.L. Stevenson

+-LR is wise. Listen.
Pages: 1 ... 357 358 [359] 360 361 ... 936
  Print  

Jump to: