• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 2:04:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to organize all my reference articles...  (Read 39785 times)
helpful
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 12:12:31 AM »

Create folders by subject area or theme. Don't forget when you save the PDF to rename it as the default is a series of numbers. Rename it by the author, title of the article and perhaps the journal name.
niceday

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 10:30:59 AM »

Zotero lets you rename PDFs automatically as author - date - title. It is very helpful. So your file will be named Einstein - 1905 - Brownian Motion blah blah.
natsteel

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 1:45:29 PM »

I used to have about 700 PDFs scattered over my hard drive. Then I got Papers. It is made for the sciences particularly, but I still get full-functionality from it as a user in the Humanities. I also set it to rename and move the files to one main folder upon import. It basically looks like iTunes for PDFs and performs full-text searches of my now-over 1000 PDFs (mostly journal articles, Google Books, and my own book scans, as I like to scan the introduction and, sometimes, the bibliography of books).

However, Papers doesn't do citations so I also use EndNote (X3) and it's easy to import/export between the two. I have Sente, as well, but have never really warmed to it. On the other hand, I am also testing out another Mac citation manager, Bookends, which I could see myself using rather than EndNote at some point. Of course, if you're using Windows this information is less-than-valuable. Before I switched from Windows to OSX, I used Mendeley for PDFs and EndNote X2.

Like collegekidsmom said, spend some time developing a workflow. I have spent a lot of time in the last year trying to figure out the most productive workflow for myself. This included managing my PDFs, citation libraries, note-taking software, etc.... It takes a while to experiment with trial versions of different programs, but, five years down the road, it will be worth it.
merce
strange attractor

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 4:32:29 PM »

Zotero lets you rename PDFs automatically as author - date - title. It is very helpful. So your file will be named Einstein - 1905 - Brownian Motion blah blah.

I didn't know that. I looked around a bit but didn't see how.
Can you explain here even if it is a wee bit of a hijack?

spammer 
Profuse gift offerings to garnish your day.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: