• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 8:37:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 367
  Print  
Author Topic: So what have you read lately  (Read 964322 times)
titian
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #3765 on: November 26, 2012, 8:42:25 PM »

You need a bathtub reading rack. The caddy has a place to hold a glass of wine as well.

My goal for this semester is to move on to being the Crusher of Dreams and Destroyer of Souls.
prof_smartypants
Treasure-pilferin' and grog-swillin'

You're getting hosed by small minds with no game.

« Reply #3766 on: November 26, 2012, 9:48:45 PM »

You need a bathtub reading rack. The caddy has a place to hold a glass of wine as well.

When I get a bathtub that I can actually fit in WITH the water covering my bits and pieces, I am all over this.

bcohlan1

« Reply #3767 on: November 26, 2012, 9:54:02 PM »

When I get a bathtub that I can actually fit in WITH the water covering my bits and pieces, I am all over this.

I can get the water to cover most of my bits, but I can't get enough hot water to fill the tub. My baths are always necessarily lukewarm to cold.

Also, even when it is set on bathtub mode a bunch of water still leaks out of the shower head and splashes everywhere, so you have to draw the shower curtain while filling the tub or the water splashes everywhere.

Also, there is black s*** in between all the tiles.

But really, I have an awesome apartment! It's definitely the nicest place I've ever lived as an adult!

"ASSUMING I EXIST, I MAY OR MAY NOT BE DOING OKAY" -T-Rex
southerntransplant
A man on a porcupine fence and a

No recess.

« Reply #3768 on: November 27, 2012, 3:43:21 PM »

We downloaded the Audible.com version of Wolf Hall, and I'll have to admit wondering if there was either something wrong with the download or if the iPhone on which it was playing was set on "scramble." The plot jumped all over the place, characters were referred to by last names without ever having been properly introduced in the first place, there were numerous occurrences of consecutive "Chapter Two"s, and forty or so years could zoom by between two consecutive chapters. I think I need to see a print version to unravel this.

I can handle a jumpy storyline, but this was pretty extreme.

"...And on the other side of this wall is a whole 'nother studio that you'll never get to see...because, you know, fvck you guys."

Steve Albini, showing Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters around his studio
ab_grp
doing the best imitation of myself as a

« Reply #3769 on: November 27, 2012, 3:50:19 PM »

Wolf Hall was a bit confusing at times (especially the characters), but I don't remember it being that wacky.  Maybe it's on shuffle or scramble as you suggest.  That happened for me with some lectures (in order, chronologically) that I was listening to on my iPod.

So, I have finally finished the wonderful Infinite Jest, and I was wondering if anyone else who has read it could recommend something in a similar vein.  Maybe I should stick with DFW while I'm in the zone? I'm surprised to say it, but I really loved that book.  It has definitely joined my list of favorites.

Quote from: bread_pirate_naan
You are a genius. 

There is apparently no joy in life that mathematicians will not attempt to dessicate with the dry, hot air of statistical analysis. -anonymous commenter
voxprincipalis
Foxaliciously Cinnamon-Scented (and Most Poetic)
Member-Moderator

Has potentially infinite removable wallets

« Reply #3770 on: November 27, 2012, 5:45:47 PM »

So, I have finally finished the wonderful Infinite Jest, and I was wondering if anyone else who has read it could recommend something in a similar vein.  Maybe I should stick with DFW while I'm in the zone? I'm surprised to say it, but I really loved that book.  It has definitely joined my list of favorites.

Tinyzombie has a wonderful way for you to pick your next book. I hope she will share it here!

VP

ab_grp

« Reply #3771 on: November 27, 2012, 5:46:51 PM »

Tinyzombie has a wonderful way for you to pick your next book. I hope she will share it here!

VP

Ooh, that sounds fun!

You are a genius. 

There is apparently no joy in life that mathematicians will not attempt to dessicate with the dry, hot air of statistical analysis. -anonymous commenter
llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #3772 on: November 27, 2012, 9:18:05 PM »

I'm well into Lisa See's Peony in Love, which is going in a very odd direction ... and yet, I like it.  I wouldn't have thought I would, but I do.  Her writing is seductive, which helps.

I really enjoyed that one, but I agree with you on the oddness of the plot development. That oddness turns it into a different kind of book than the one I was expecting, and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I ended up liking it.

I have her Snow Flower and the Secret Fan on my iPad but have been saving it for a special occasion. (I don't know what that would be; I should just read the darn thing.)

VP

Snow Flower was the first one of hers I read, and I loved it.  Highly recommended.

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #3773 on: November 28, 2012, 10:36:39 AM »

VP

Ooh, that sounds fun!

I do! Thanks for the reminder, voxy!

Here it is.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
dr_alcott

« Reply #3774 on: November 28, 2012, 11:03:47 AM »

VP

Ooh, that sounds fun!

Here it is.

Love this. (Except that The Ask is on there. Yuck.) Anyway, according to this chart, my next read should be Last Exit to Brooklyn.

In other news, I've started reading Nicholson Baker's House of Holes. It's delightfully dirty.

You must be your own snow, Dr_Alcott.  You must lift, and sparkle, and then melt away.

I love everyone here!
ab_grp

« Reply #3775 on: November 28, 2012, 12:15:50 PM »

Awesome, TZ! Looks like I have some new books to read (2666, The Satanic Verses, Choke).

You are a genius. 

erictho

« Reply #3776 on: November 28, 2012, 4:49:22 PM »

Just finished Evanovich's Notorious Nineteen. Not sure it was worth the time or the effort, but there was one, or maybe two, interesting tidbits I guess. I know it's fluff and all, but I expect just a wee bit less formula in my fluff.

Damnit, people, spread the word about responsible pet ownership.
erictho speaks the truth
galactic_hedgehog
Procrastinating, Python-quoting, Blue Blazer-drinking, chocolate-chip cookie-eating, Pastafarian, Not So

Mind Ninja

« Reply #3777 on: November 28, 2012, 8:42:04 PM »

VP

Ooh, that sounds fun!

Here it is.

Can I use this if I'm not a hipster?

prof_smartypants
Treasure-pilferin' and grog-swillin'

You're getting hosed by small minds with no game.

« Reply #3778 on: November 28, 2012, 8:43:41 PM »

VP

Ooh, that sounds fun!

Here it is.

Nope. It will simply tell you to read Infinite Jest!

galactic_hedgehog
Procrastinating, Python-quoting, Blue Blazer-drinking, chocolate-chip cookie-eating, Pastafarian, Not So

Mind Ninja

« Reply #3779 on: November 28, 2012, 8:47:07 PM »

VP

Ooh, that sounds fun!

Here it is.

Nope. It will simply tell you to read Infinite Jest!

What if I'm still not a hipster after reading it?

Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 367
  Print  

Jump to: