• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 6:52:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 3277 3278 [3279] 3280 3281 ... 3615
  Print  
Author Topic: Lonely Hearts Club  (Read 5560262 times)
prytania3
Distinguished Senior Member

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #49170 on: November 28, 2012, 9:18:48 AM »

Merce, it sounds like the two of you have been emailing back and forth and have gotten to know each other a bit, so maybe showing him "the thing" would be a good date.

Personally, I hate coffee dates. At least make it a drink date if you go that route.

I got an email from Red this morning. He wanted to know if we should meet soon. He likes to get to know someone a little by email first-which is fine. I don't think he's some married guy just hanging out on Match.

I tell you. Once you find out an email address, you can get a little scoop on a person. I found out he owns a piano business in the city. It sounds like he does a lot of corporate rentals of grand pianos and such. Anyway, the only thing that bothers me is I think he's way smarter than I am.

There is another guy on the horizon who has cropped up that also seems interesting and cute. I haven't emailed him yet, but I got a note from him. He wants to meet immediately.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
dolljepopp
a "liberal neo-monarchist"

So 'ne Driss...

« Reply #49171 on: November 28, 2012, 11:00:05 AM »

pry, very few people are smarter than you.

And take canyonwren's advice: 30 days, no reply to Hedgepig. Pretend his e-mail is blocked. Or block it.

---

canyonwren, for your consideration, my tweaks of pry and cg's edits:

I hope to meet an over-educated, well-spoken outdoorsy, aging jock with a big heart and fondness towards big dogs and smart independent women. Someone who has a happy full life, but wants to enrich it by sharing. We share a common language in many ways (energy level, values, world-view), with some overlap in histories and interests, but our differences make things interesting.

Be warned: I have an activist streak. I helped launch a local community garden this year and hiked many miles this summer doing service work through one of our great outdoors organizations. I can drift off, wandering around my own mind sometimes, but I'm good at goofing off, hanging out on the back deck, getting lost in imaginative sci-fi, or eating pie in some little cafe down by the water.  While I like sprucing up for a night out (and have season tickets to a local classical music venue), I also love getting out on muddy, wet trails. I like traveling and doing active things in new places and being mistaken for a local. Lately I've been sticking mostly close to home (day or weekend trips) but a grand adventure every once in awhile is definitely an option.

My town is not far from [Big City].  It would be fun to show each other around our home turf as part of getting to know each other.

What would you show me first in your stomping grounds?

Quote from: johnr
God save us from old washed up trolls with too much time on their hands, an AM radio and a link to the internet.

'... and who among us does not love a zombie metaphor?' - Gail Collins
cgfunmathguy
Beer-brewing

« Reply #49172 on: November 28, 2012, 11:13:53 AM »

Wren, I like Dollje's closing line. Definitely include that.

I still think the activist paragraph is too wordy. Prune and pare there. You want him to get ideas about you; he shouldn't get the complete picture in the paragraph. Think of this as the cover letter applying to be someone's SO. Is this how you'd write the letter?

Alas, greatness and meaning are rarely coterminous with popular familiarity.
grasshopper

Grade Despot

« Reply #49173 on: November 28, 2012, 1:08:41 PM »

Anyway, the only thing that bothers me is I think he's way smarter than I am.
Don't worry about that - he's working hard to impress you right now. Besides, you should let him decide whether or not he thinks he's too smart for you. You don't want to be that girl who never goes after the good guys because she assumes they won't like her.

prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #49174 on: November 28, 2012, 1:11:12 PM »

I like Dollje's revision, but I hate the bolded part of this line: I like traveling and doing active things in new places and being mistaken for a local.

I think it's really typical and corny. People always want to be mistaken for locals when they travel. I don't know why--but they do. I guess they think it speaks well of their ability to blend. I would be much more interested in someone who said, "I like being mistaken for a tourist." It's much less ordinary.

Math is right, though, that the activist section is a bit wordy. See what you can chop out.

prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #49175 on: November 28, 2012, 1:31:27 PM »

Don't worry about that - he's working hard to impress you right now. Besides, you should let him decide whether or not he thinks he's too smart for you. You don't want to be that girl who never goes after the good guys because she assumes they won't like her.

There was that thread about men being intimidated by women with PhD's (or to roughly translate--extremely smart women), and I'm the opposite. I'm intimidated by extremely smart men. Also, this guy's vocabulary is unbelievable. I had to look up what a dirk was. I feel so ignorant.

canyonwren3

« Reply #49176 on: November 28, 2012, 1:38:46 PM »

Oh, Pry...now how are we supposed to keep track of all the marvelous words out there.  "Dirk" out of context would cause me to think.  You are brilliant. Write him (or write him back, I forget which).

I'm in work crisis mode this a.m. but thanks for the great feedback, all. It was still feeling hackneyed (kneed?) but getting closer. You are generous editors!  I haven't posted profile yet and will send you  v.2 this evening. Friend has agreed to photos of me in symphony attire in her nice kitchen.
Wren
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #49177 on: November 28, 2012, 1:57:58 PM »

Wren, take loads of pictures. Get your friend to just snap away--that way you're bound to get something you lile.

frogfactory
Totally Metal

« Reply #49178 on: November 28, 2012, 5:29:02 PM »

There was that thread about men being intimidated by women with PhD's (or to roughly translate--extremely smart women), and I'm the opposite. I'm intimidated by extremely smart men. Also, this guy's vocabulary is unbelievable. I had to look up what a dirk was. I feel so ignorant.

Nah, don't.  I do wonder, with the kilt and the language savvy if he has some Celt in him.  Not to mention the red hair.

I knew what a dirk was, but only because I'm a Douglas Adams fan.

Edit:  Speaking of Celts - I was part way through chatting up a good looking Irish barman today when he mentioned his girlfriend.  Sigh.  I was about three sentences from asking him for a date.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 5:31:00 PM by frogfactory » Logged

At the end of the day, sometimes you just have to masturbate in the bathroom.
literarylioness13

« Reply #49179 on: November 28, 2012, 5:34:24 PM »

I read that thread! My experience has been the opposite. I find men are very curious about why I kept going with literature and the classical world.

Besides, if a guy is intimidated by that now, do you really want him? He would be incredibly insecure and bring you down.

I love it when I learn something from a guy. That's why I dated so many math and economics guys. I learned so much from them.

I agree that he is probably trying to impress you. I bet he pulls out his thesaurus before he types an email.
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #49180 on: November 28, 2012, 8:53:05 PM »

Nah, don't.  I do wonder, with the kilt and the language savvy if he has some Celt in him.  Not to mention the red hair.

Edit:  Speaking of Celts - I was part way through chatting up a good looking Irish barman today when he mentioned his girlfriend.  Sigh.  I was about three sentences from asking him for a date.

Red's mother was of Scottish decent, and his father was Italian. I just got another email from him. I also talked to the other guy who sounded interesting on the phone--he was more interesting by email, but we'll see.

I had a few drinks with colleagues after work and am a bit tipsy.

canyonwren3

« Reply #49181 on: November 29, 2012, 1:10:49 AM »

Red's mother was of Scottish decent, and his father was Italian. I just got another email from him. I also talked to the other guy who sounded interesting on the phone--he was more interesting by email, but we'll see.

I had a few drinks with colleagues after work and am a bit tipsy.

No drunk-dialing, Pry!  You are on a roll here - getting out, working on a new bullpen. 

Ok, may I bother you with v.2? 

I hope to meet an over-educated, well-spoken outdoorsy aging jock with a big heart and a fondness towards big dogs and smart independent women. Someone who has a happy full life, but wants to enrich his life by sharing it.

Be warned: I have an activist streak that parlays into fun. I've walked homeless dogs at shelters, helped start a community garden, and hiked many miles doing wilderness surveys. Although I have a little mad scientist in me, I'm good at goofing off, hanging out on the back deck, getting lost in a good  sci-fi novel or on muddy, wet trails, or eating pie in some little cafe down by the water.

I'm friendly and freely ask for directions when I travel. I can schedule in a grand adventure every once in awhile, but right now my traveling is mostly close to home (day or weekend trips).

My town is not far from Big City.    It would be fun to show each other around our home turf as part of getting to know each other.  What would you show me first in your stomping grounds? 
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #49182 on: November 29, 2012, 1:46:51 AM »

I hope to meet an over-educated, well-spoken outdoorsy aging jock with a big heart and a fondness towards big dogs and smart independent women. Someone who has a happy full life, but wants to enrich his life by sharing it.

Be warned: I have an activist streak that parlays into fun. I've walked homeless dogs at shelters, helped start a community garden, and hiked many miles doing wilderness surveys. Although I have a little mad scientist in me, I'm good at goofing off, hanging out on the back deck, getting lost in a good  sci-fi novel or on muddy, wet trails, or eating pie in some little cafe down by the water.

I'm friendly and freely ask for directions when I travel. I can schedule in a grand adventure every once in awhile, but right now my traveling is mostly close to home (day or weekend trips).

My town is not far from Big City.    It would be fun to show each other around our home turf as part of getting to know each other.  What would you show me first in your stomping grounds? 

I just woke up. I think you are almost there. MY two cents. The parts that are bold mean I like the first version better. Don't like the term "smart independent woman,"

canyonwren3

« Reply #49183 on: November 29, 2012, 2:24:19 AM »

Last stab: wow this is short!

I hope to meet an over-educated, well-spoken outdoorsy aging jock with a big heart and a fondness towards big dogs and bright, active women. Someone who has a happy full life, but wants to enrich his life by sharing it.

I have an activist streak that parlays into fun. I've walked homeless dogs at shelters, helped start a community garden, and hiked many miles doing wilderness surveys. Although I have a little mad scientist in me, I'm good at goofing off, hanging out on the back deck, getting lost in a good sci-fi novel or on muddy, wet trails, or eating pie in some little cafe down by the water.

My town is not far from Big City.   What's your favorite place to show off to friends from out of town?  It would be fun to show each other around our home turf as part of getting to know each other.   
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #49184 on: November 29, 2012, 8:38:26 AM »

I hope to meet an over-educated, well-spoken outdoorsy aging jock with a big heart and a fondness towards big dogs and bright, active women. Someone who has a happy full life, but wants to enrich his life by sharing it.

Although I have a little mad scientist in me, I'm good at goofing off, hanging out on the back deck, getting lost in a good sci-fi novel or on muddy, wet trails, or eating pie in some little cafe down by the water. I have an activist streak that parlays into fun. I've walked homeless dogs at shelters, helped started a community garden, and hiked many miles doing wilderness surveys.

My town is not far from Big City. What's your favorite place to show off to friends from out of town?  It would be fun to show each other around our home turf as part of getting to know each other.   

Wren, I moved the mad scientist before the activist part because I dig the mad scientist line.

You're almost there, but it's missing something now. I know. It seems like what you primarily like to do is hike. I think you need to add one or two more things you like to do. Maybe someone else on the thread will have some ideas. I can't 100% put my finger on that one extra thing you need to add.

Pages: 1 ... 3277 3278 [3279] 3280 3281 ... 3615
  Print  

Jump to: