• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 4:46:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 1461 1462 [1463] 1464 1465 ... 1896
  Print  
Author Topic: "favorite" student e-mails  (Read 4237333 times)
moodymoodie
Zeal vs. Real
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #21930 on: November 28, 2012, 9:20:38 AM »

In its entirety:

Ms Moodymoodie, Come on! You said you would do X but you did Y!

Uh.

He's right, in fact, and I take no issue with that, I'll do X, but "come on"? Come on!

theritas

« Reply #21931 on: November 28, 2012, 9:35:49 AM »

In its entirety:
Ms Moodymoodie, Come on! You said you would do X but you did Y!
Uh. He's right, in fact, and I take no issue with that, I'll do X, but "come on"? Come on!

It is funny how some of them hold on to the 'rules must not be broken' and 'all inconsistencies must be called out' phases so far past the third grade.
krisanthe

sciencerely

« Reply #21932 on: November 28, 2012, 9:36:54 AM »

I wanted to tell you to give me information about professors of reseaches speaking at the building, could you inform me of this?

I think what he's saying is that he wants me to personally alert him to any seminars hosted by my department.  Dream on.  (No, I'm not heartless; I've told him more than once where to find this information on our website.)

Sweet biscuits! Now I really HAVE heard it all.

If you are in to Oreos we can talk about it more.
bioteacher
chocolate loving

Confused and sad. Or happy. I'm not sure...

« Reply #21933 on: November 28, 2012, 9:52:04 AM »

hello im not trying to make a habbit of being absent for your class i realize its towards the end of the semester however i attempted to drive to class today and my car was swerving all over the road and i almost crashed multiple times the roads were awful and i was truly worried about my personal safty and my car. i will do my best to attend all future classes thank you

Best of all, the car did this all by itself! The car just kept swerving. The software needs upgraded to KITT's OS.

Truly, if this student is such an inept driver when the road is wet, we'll all be happier if he stayed home.

Lifesaving dream crusher and member of the Real vs. Zeal club.
llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #21934 on: November 28, 2012, 5:25:03 PM »

I would have been so tempted to ask her what redueing was...

Clearly is is the act of a student revising a due date to fit their own needs.

That was actually my first thought!  Or perhaps a redo on the later due date...

I think that is, instead, when a student is in deep due-due.

Oh, ProfTowanda, I love you so.

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
gennidad
I've been on here how long?

« Reply #21935 on: November 28, 2012, 6:52:59 PM »

hello im not trying to make a habbit of being absent for your class i realize its towards the end of the semester however i attempted to drive to class today and my car was swerving all over the road and i almost crashed multiple times the roads were awful and i was truly worried about my personal safty and my car. i will do my best to attend all future classes thank you

Best of all, the car did this all by itself! The car just kept swerving. The software needs upgraded to KITT's OS.

Truly, if this student is such an inept driver when the road is wet, we'll all be happier if he stayed home.

I had a car with very bald tires.  Nothing I did would stop the swerving.  Hydroplane, hydroplane, tree!  It may not be how inept the driver is but instead the neglect heaped on the tires.

Be careful playing in the same sandbox as the kitties...
pedanterast

« Reply #21936 on: November 28, 2012, 7:10:38 PM »

I'd argue that anyone who would drive on such tires is an inept driver by definition.  You can't bake a good cake using lousy ingredients.
lizzy
a person who likes to believe that what comes around goes around and a

« Reply #21937 on: November 28, 2012, 7:24:03 PM »

I received this gem yesterday:

Hello, I was not in class due to my current illness, thus illness has greatly affected my attendance in your class and I am very sorry for that. I was wondering if that is going to affect my grade and if so, I would like to know if there is any type of extra credit I can do to bring my grade up. Either way I would like to know if there is anything extra I can do to bring my grade up because I need an A in your class more then anything.
Thank you
-Student Who Almost Never Does Any Work

I held off on responding till just now, probably because all my initial attempts at responding involved some variation on WTF?!?! If you want an A you need to do the @#$*@& work. Here's what I ended up with: 

Student,

If you have a doctor's note I can excuse the absences. However, as noted on the syllabus, I cannot grant special extra credit work to individual students.

The way to raise your grade would be to do the homework assignments, participate in class, and take advantage of class time set aside for writing. I've noticed that you often do not work on drafts or other writing activities when instructed to do so during class. Other ways to raise your grade would be to take drafts of your work to the Writing Center and to include all required materials when submitting essays.

Dr. Lizzy

Sigh.

It's that time of semester....

I get cranky in the evenings.
cathwen

« Reply #21938 on: November 28, 2012, 8:44:05 PM »

Lizzy, I feel your pain.  I have a student in my online class who does very well in discussions, but who has missed a number of quizzes.  She wrote to me greatly concerned about her grade.  What can I do, she asked.  My answer was, take the quizzes.  Pay attention to deadlines.  Do the work. She thanked me for my answer, which apparently she found incredibly insightful.  Anyone want to bet who missed the next quiz? 

As you say...sigh.
krisanthe

sciencerely

« Reply #21939 on: November 28, 2012, 9:38:08 PM »

<rant>

Reading the large number of crazy emails I've received lately plus reading all of the ones on this thread has me all in a tizzy.  What are these students thinking sending emails like this?  I just received an email from a student I've never met and she began the email with "okay so...".  Really!?  Do you think I'm you BFF?  When I was an undergraduate, I never would have thought for a second to send a chummy email to a person of authority whom I've never met.  Jeez.

</rant>

Sweet biscuits! Now I really HAVE heard it all.

If you are in to Oreos we can talk about it more.
nezahualcoyotl

« Reply #21940 on: November 29, 2012, 1:37:22 AM »

<rant>

Reading the large number of crazy emails I've received lately plus reading all of the ones on this thread has me all in a tizzy.  What are these students thinking sending emails like this?  I just received an email from a student I've never met and she began the email with "okay so...".  Really!?  Do you think I'm you BFF?  When I was an undergraduate, I never would have thought for a second to send a chummy email to a person of authority whom I've never met.  Jeez.

</rant>

That's nothing, I have a student who went to our Chair and said the equivalent of "Hey [Chair's last name]!"

'Education is like a venereal disease; it makes you unsuitable for many jobs, and then you have the urge to pass it on.'
-Terry Pratchett

I do solemnly swear to obey all the laws of thermodynamics.
mystictechgal
Happy in my "full, rich adulthood", and as a
Member-Moderator

One step at a time

« Reply #21941 on: November 29, 2012, 3:06:56 AM »

I'd argue that anyone who would drive on such tires is an inept driver by definition.  You can't bake a good cake using lousy ingredients.

Yet, sometimes you can't afford the best ingredients even if you know that the ones you have on hand aren't the very best. And, other times you don't notice that the eggs have gone bad until after you've already cracked them into the batter.

But, of course, it's better to just refuse to make the cake at all, if it has to come from a mix, and, of course, the responsible baker would crack the eggs into a side dish first and have an extra dozen spare eggs ready to go. Anything else would be completely irresponsible.

You are obviously a master baker. I applaud you for your perfection.

You must realize that a university cannot educate you. You must do that for yourself, although a college or university is the place where it is likely that you can study most efficiently.
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/chapman.htm

"Is all the same, only different" -- HL
amlithist

« Reply #21942 on: November 29, 2012, 11:52:34 AM »

Just in, from a student in my Comp II, whom I haven't seen since Sept. 26 (I am not kidding--I just checked the attendance records), in its entirety:

yeah Hist, I just sent paper in Blackboard.  you like it, I hope.

Oh, goody.  That should be some stellar reading awaiting me.  This student had a 39% before she quit showing up 2 months ago.  I'd rather not even open it--the student can't pass, and I have a feeling this may be either a nasty, invective-filled doc, or maybe something for another class that she's expecting feedback on--but I know if I don't, my dean will get all over me.  ::sigh::

No wonder I have this headache I can't shake, right?
proftowanda

"Righter of wrongs, queen beyond compare."

« Reply #21943 on: November 29, 2012, 12:13:46 PM »

Just in, from a student in my Comp II, whom I haven't seen since Sept. 26 (I am not kidding--I just checked the attendance records), in its entirety:

yeah Hist, I just sent paper in Blackboard.  you like it, I hope.

Oh, goody.  That should be some stellar reading awaiting me.  This student had a 39% before she quit showing up 2 months ago.  I'd rather not even open it--the student can't pass, and I have a feeling this may be either a nasty, invective-filled doc, or maybe something for another class that she's expecting feedback on--but I know if I don't, my dean will get all over me.  ::sigh::

No wonder I have this headache I can't shake, right?

Ah, that could explain why I woke with a headache this morn, after the email from my student not seen for more than a month but resurfacing to say that he cannot imagine how he could have forgotten the test three weeks ago, so could he please take it now?  Um, no. 

And about the assignment that he posted this week, the first of the weekly assignments seen in many weeks?  It does not meet even the minimum word count.  Um, no to that, too.

But, he writes, he "cannot afford to fail this class," so I sense a series of emails appealing a grade, too. 

"Face it, girls.  I'm older, and I have more insurance."     -- Towanda!
llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #21944 on: November 29, 2012, 8:25:06 PM »

I have so many students who "can't afford to fail this course", and yet, somehow, they manage so to do.  I want to cuff them upside the head when they say this to me.

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
Pages: 1 ... 1461 1462 [1463] 1464 1465 ... 1896
  Print  

Jump to: