• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 8:21:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Employment website advertisement re-posts  (Read 645 times)
search2012

« on: November 28, 2012, 5:40:13 PM »

A question: If a department re-posts an advertisement (on employment websites) that you applied to a month ago (and have not heard back from after the acknowledgement), should you give up on your prospects with them?
melba_frilkins
Doing laundry.
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 6:11:39 PM »

Maybe, maybe not.

They may be re-posting because they got zero decent applications. Or maybe they only got 2 good ones and want 3 more. Yours could be among the original two.

But, who knows. Assume the worst and keep sending out new applications.

Light up the corners of your neighborhood with disco balls matched with dancing green and violet beams.
dr_freakout

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 6:36:15 PM »

If it's on the Wiki, I just assume they don't have enough qualified appicants to do first-and-second round interviews. 
zyzzx
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 12:39:53 PM »

I applied to  job in the UK that has been reposted (about a month after the initial closing), but they sent me an email saying that it was done in order to meet the minimum standard of advertising required for them to considering hiring non-EU people. So presumably it's because they unexpected got some applications from non-EU people they'd like to shortlist.

I've also just received notice (via a field-specific email list) of a job where they've extended the deadline (which was several weeks ago) by a month. Presumably in the hopes of rustling up more and better applicants. And it'll probably work - I hadn't applied, because I didn't match the ad that well, but I think I will now. If the field is that thin, then I might have a chance.

So two anecdata, with very different reasons behind the re-posting. The moral is: who knows.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: