• October 30, 2014
October 31, 2014, 12:09:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Learning Disabilities in Academic Jobs  (Read 3953 times)
scott_eric_hamilton

« on: November 28, 2012, 11:19:13 AM »

Are there any articles concerning learning disabilities in relation to the Academic workplace? It seems like there are many services and aids for students who are succeeding in the college setting while battling various learning issues, but what about those who go on to start  a career in Academics as well as Academic publishing? Are there disclosure regulations etc?
bibliothecula
Academic ronin
Distinguished Senior Member

like Bunnicula, only with books

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 2:00:58 PM »

This is a huge area. Are you looking for government regulations, institutional policies, research, something else? A basic google search will help you, as will looking for scholarly literature in the usual databases and libraries.

I came. I saw. I cited.
piledhigheranddeeper

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 8:17:07 PM »

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the American Disabilities Act are relevant laws.  If you need reasoanble accommodations at work, there should be a person to make requests for those reasonable accommodations.  You would probably have to supply appropriate documentation upon request.  A learning disability is a disability just like a physical disability, hearing impairment, or visual impairment. 

You might try the Learning Disabilities Association of America website. They have some information for Adults with Learning Disabilities and workplace issues. 

Sarcasm: a sharp often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain - Merriam-Webster

"In sarcasm, ridicule or mockery is used harshly, often crudely and contemptuously, for destructive purposes" - Dictionary.com (See irony)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: