• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 9:44:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Monmouth College (IL)  (Read 2710 times)
mfaeer
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: November 09, 2012, 5:27:01 PM »

Thoughts on Monmouth College (IL), not to be confused with the Monmouth in NJ? Thanks.
writingprof

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 11:03:24 AM »

I looked it up on MapQuest for the same reason you started this thread.  Then I struck them from the list.
brixton

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 11:47:03 AM »

It's one of the many, many, many liberal arts colleges that dot the Midwest.  It is part of the ACM cohort, putting it in the good company of Knox, Carleton, Beloit. This offers good professional development through the consortium -- chances to work through the Newberry, study abroad orograms un India, Asia, maybe London.  It is no Carleton, Beloit and Knox, though.  It has a pretty low endowment, constant salary issues.  You could do worse.
mfaeer

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 1:41:40 PM »

I looked it up on MapQuest for the same reason you started this thread.  Then I struck them from the list.

Yeah, it's definitely a rural campus. Not too far from Iowa City though...
mfaeer

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 1:43:27 PM »

It's one of the many, many, many liberal arts colleges that dot the Midwest.  It is part of the ACM cohort, putting it in the good company of Knox, Carleton, Beloit. This offers good professional development through the consortium -- chances to work through the Newberry, study abroad orograms un India, Asia, maybe London.  It is no Carleton, Beloit and Knox, though.  It has a pretty low endowment, constant salary issues.  You could do worse.

Thanks!
aandsdean
I feel affirmed that I'm truly a 8,000+ post

Positively impactful on stakeholder synergies

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 11:05:36 PM »

Monmouth nearly died in the 90s (I was an another ACM college at the time), but through some very good leadership and fortuitous circumstances they are doing pretty well now.  They've had growing enrollment and OK endowment growth for the last 10 years or so.

They are definitely the weak player in the ACM, along with Ripon, however.

Que scay-je?
mfaeer

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 2:54:59 PM »

Monmouth nearly died in the 90s (I was an another ACM college at the time), but through some very good leadership and fortuitous circumstances they are doing pretty well now.  They've had growing enrollment and OK endowment growth for the last 10 years or so.

They are definitely the weak player in the ACM, along with Ripon, however.

Thanks--appreciate the info and perspective!
onlyanne

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 9:52:53 AM »

They have a consistently excellent Division III football team.  I've always wondered if it's a big deal on campus like it would be at a division I school. 
westcoastgirl

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 3:51:40 PM »

Yes, it's in rural Illinois, as some people mentioned.

I just met with a bunch of faculty from there and I was impressed.

Quote from: cgfunmathguy
We're just cyborgs standing in the way of their dreams.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: