• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 9:02:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chair stipend  (Read 10817 times)
nocalprof

« on: October 22, 2012, 11:54:58 PM »

$500/month stipend over your base salary.  12-month contract.  That $500/mo. gets added to your base if you complete your first term.

Low-ranked, aspiring R1, STEM field (but not one of the heavily-funded ones).  About 12 TT faculty, a handful of permanent lecturers.  ~150 majors, MS program, nascent PhD program, very little grad student funding.

Is this a good financial deal?  Would you hold out for more?  (Might be hard cause this seems to be "the deal" that people take.)

I appreciate any input!
antiphon1
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 12:17:08 AM »

Are you also given a release from other duties in addition to the $6000 per year stipend?  The amount of the stipend sounds about average for a chair of a small/medium size department (10-15 faculty members).  You might want to check with HR for any standard stipend policies at your institution. 
shrek

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 12:31:44 AM »

I wouldn't do it for that. I'm the DGS for my dept and I get a stipend about that, plus a course reduction. We're an R1 top 10 program about 13 faculty members; 150 undergrads, 60 MA students and a handful of doctoral students (10ish).
Our chair negotiated a big raise, a course reduction during the AY and 1 month of summer salary. They will keep the raise when they are no longer chair (tho' not the summer salary or course reduction).
nocalprof

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 10:48:23 AM »

Nominal teaching load goes from 2/2 to 1/1.  Yes I know that's a high teaching load to begin with in STEM, but what can I say.

I've actually been on a 1/2 teaching load because I have outside funds, so the reduction from where I'm already at won't be that great.
yeastie

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 11:44:11 AM »

Primarily teaching Uni. I get 12K for the 9 mos year, about 2K for minimal availability over summer. Reduced teaching from 9 credits to 6. Small department.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 11:45:18 AM by labrat » Logged
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 12:05:07 PM »

Adding the stipend to your post-chair base is sweet, but I agree it should be more. Also ask for a guaranteed sabbatical after your term.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
sinenomine

Located directly over the center of the earth

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 7:21:53 AM »

From the vantage point of my small, mid-tier teaching-focused institution, I'm jealous...  I get a course reduction each semester and a small stipend over the summer (tacked onto a 9-month contract).  I've got a handful of full-time faculty under my supervision, and fistfuls of adjuncts.

"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."
bevo98
Old but

Dr. Pepper

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 1:07:52 PM »

There is a lot of variation and a lot of good advice here.  I got a base raise, 10% of that base for a 9 month contract plus $2400.00.  If I do summer, I get an additional 12% of base if I work two months in the summer.  I teach one course each semester and have an automatic 5th year sabbatical.  I do not complain.

The $500.00 added to the base sounds good, however. 

How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sportin' with puppies?  Omar Little
dandavidson

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 3:34:03 PM »

I am at a medium-sized comprehensive public university. We get $10,000 per year with a one course release / reassigned time each semester. Summer classes are available at 8% of base per class.

Not great, but not as bad as some I have heard.
finding_balance

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 12:21:42 AM »

If your normal contract is a 9-month contract, and you're bumped up to a 12-month contract PLUS the $500/month stipend, then I think this is a great deal.  If you're already on a 12-month contract and you're only getting the extra $500/month in addition, then it's not as good of a deal.  Whether it's appropriate or not probably depends on the responsibilities, as not all chair positions are equal.

FWIW, I'm a chair at an R1.  My normal contract is 9 months. As chair, I get two months summer salary, plus $1,000/month stipend (x11), a modest research bursary, and a course release.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: