• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 7:50:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving to New Orleans  (Read 118028 times)
tinker100

« on: October 07, 2012, 1:30:32 AM »

Planning to move to New Orleans by 1st jan 2013. Is there a flood-safe area to buy a house? I will be working near Tulane and would not like to drive more than 30 minutes to work. Planning to buy a house (300-400K)-price range. Any one knows which are the areas in this neighborhood that not flood prone?
southerntransplant
A man on a porcupine fence and a
Distinguished Senior Member

No recess.

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 11:47:36 AM »

According to the NFIP, flood maps for New Orleans are still being updated and won't be available until mid-November. Some information can be found here.

"...And on the other side of this wall is a whole 'nother studio that you'll never get to see...because, you know, fvck you guys."

Steve Albini, showing Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters around his studio
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 11:51:59 AM »

Isn't it a little odd to put this thread in the Katrina section?

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
tinker100

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 9:47:25 AM »

tinyzombie: Please let me know another more suitable section and I can post there. Sorry I am new to this forum.
southerntransplant: Thanks for the info.
iexpress

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 1:10:05 PM »

Planning to move to New Orleans by 1st jan 2013. Is there a flood-safe area to buy a house? I will be working near Tulane and would not like to drive more than 30 minutes to work. Planning to buy a house (300-400K)-price range. Any one knows which are the areas in this neighborhood that not flood prone?

I would highly suggest you not move to New Orleans or buy a property at this time. Spending that type of money on a property at this time in New Orleans would not be ideal, granted i am sure you will find a great deal. If you are working temporarily i would suggest you find an apartment for the time being and then go from there. That would be my opinion.
genius_at_large
Wylie E. Coyote, Genius at Large

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 2:58:24 PM »

Unless you really want to live IN the city, try the north shore of Lake Ponchartrain, Kenner or Metaire. Whatever you do, have a bugout plan for hurricane season, stay off the road during Mardi Gras, and NEVER go outdoors on New Year's Eve.

I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
melba_frilkins
Doing laundry.
Member-Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 3:08:16 PM »

Unless you really want to live IN the city, try the north shore of Lake Ponchartrain, Kenner or Metaire. Whatever you do, have a bugout plan for hurricane season, stay off the road during Mardi Gras, and NEVER go outdoors on New Year's Eve.

Thanks for fond memories of laying low (literally) at midnight in Baton Rouge.

Light up the corners of your neighborhood with disco balls matched with dancing green and violet beams.
lowerninthward

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 5:37:30 PM »

No way! Live uptown! You can bike or walk!
Riverbend neighborhood never flooded (Carrolton and St. Charles). The flood line was more or less at Freret, and north, and old fill area known as Broadmoor is to be avoided and stay away from mid-city/ City Park areas.
The Marigny was fine, all the areas right on the river levy were fine.
I would move back in a heartbeat, but not to Metairie, maybe River Road or Kenner upstream... ~lnw
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: