• May 28, 2016

Chronicle Forums

May 28, 2016, 7:56:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 07:37:32 am 
Started by halfincomenokids - Last post by parispundit
Teaching is a never-ending game of trial and error.. As llong as you're prepared to try, and to recognize your errors, you'll do fine.

on: Today at 07:35:25 am 
Started by 2pineapples - Last post by old_school
I've managed to boost online response rates by telling students that if the class has a 70% response rate or higher, I'll let them use a 4x6 index card of notes on the final exam. I realize it's bribery on some level, but givem that my job is dependent on the results, I don't feel any ethical qualms about doing it.

Nor would I.

on: Today at 07:34:25 am 
Started by 2pineapples - Last post by old_school
Frankly, the students are surveyed out, as are the rest of us.  From their point of view, there's very little difference between the course evals, when presented electronically, and the relentless requests to do a feedback survey for every workshop, satisfaction poll, and purchase they make.  You get asked to do a survey when you mail something, when you buy something--both in person and on-line, and colleges and universities beg students to complete evaluations of everything from food services to their chosen majors--course evaluations are now just one in a whole group of these unending polls, and I increasingly resent the number of such instruments I am asked to "encourage" my students to complete.  Enough is enough already.

I agree, there is a seemingly unending chain of requests for feedback for the most trivial transactions, but I (and I suspect others) just can't afford to not encourage students to fill these out when our jobs depend on it. Perhaps it feels different after tenure - or if one works somewhere where student evals don't factor in as a major component for tenure decisions.

on: Today at 07:26:01 am 
Started by countnocount - Last post by polly_mer
Being a one-person department makes it very challenging.  It helps if you have high-level support, but if you don't...well...that's going to leave a mark.

Oh, I have high level support from both the president and the provost.  Even the faculty will tell me they appreciate what I'm doing.  The problem still remains a combination of everyone being overworked and a critical mass of people who remain certain that assessment is a passing fad that will go away if they just ignore it long enough.

on: Today at 07:22:58 am 
Started by tinyzombie - Last post by southerntransplant
I recall re-reading 51 Sycamore Lane, or A Spy in the Neighborhood by Marjorie Weinman Shamrat many times. She's better known for her Nate the Great series.

on: Today at 06:45:34 am 
Started by all_academia - Last post by metaphd
We have an all day (9-3) retreat at the beginning of the fall semester on campus- I actually really like it and it is productive. Some of it is dumb, but the pros outweigh the cons. They started instituting another one in January (we merged into a College with another unit and they had one in January, so now the whole College meets)- I am not tenured but I refuse to attend. One is enough!

on: Today at 06:30:17 am 
Started by see_wolf - Last post by questor1
positive attitude

on: Today at 06:29:08 am 
Started by pollinate - Last post by questor1
lawful

on: Today at 06:27:44 am 
Started by see_wolf - Last post by questor1
Garlic, California

on: Today at 04:48:15 am 
Started by all_academia - Last post by fiona
Most places I know of won't have retreats because they're extraordinarily difficult for people with children. Too much time and money, no real need for "bonding activities."

We do have the opening-day boredom meeting at which the same things are said every year, but people seem to need to vent.

I bring a notebook and write things down, any things. I look engaged, unlike if I were playing with my phone.

If it's an all-day meeting, a lot of tenured people don't come back after lunch.

The Fiona

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10