• October 30, 2014
October 31, 2014, 12:57:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: American University Kuwait  (Read 18164 times)
gcaye

« on: March 11, 2012, 2:08:11 PM »

Anyone have experience at, or have heard anything about, the American University of Kuwait?  Courseload for new profs?  Administration good to work for?  Etc., anything?

Thank you.
prytania3
Distinguished Senior Member

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 11:16:49 AM »

Kuwait is mad boring.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
pantani

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 12:57:48 PM »

AUK is decent so far as universities in the mid-east goes, I'm not sure what is like now, but when I was there, the university environment and course load was livable.  AUK had and probably still has some growing pains, but they did a decent job hiring, for the most part.  Kuwait is indeed mad boring, but Dubai is only a short flight away for weekend trips.

academia123

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 7:22:50 AM »

there are two American Universities in Kuwait. The first and original one is AUK American University of Kuwait. The second fake one is AUM American University of the Middle East. The original one AUK is a good place to work for with reasonable load of 12 credit hours a term. The environment is good. The second fake one AUM is very bad to work for. You are expected to teach from 8 to 5 non-stop classes. No time for luch in many days of the week. Read the following postes and you will know more about the AUM: http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php?topic=85590.0

Good luck.
gypsyscholar

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 2:40:30 AM »

AUK is a very fair employer.  It's a young university and still experiencing some of the inevitable and admittedly very frustrating "growing pains" that come with such a young institution.  They have always paid me on time and fairly and have been generous in their professional development grants.  I have never had anyone in administration ask me to raise a grade and the few times over the years I have had some minor issues with students, the administration has always backed me up.  Students will come and try to negotiate with me for higher grades but they learn very fast that that won't get them anywhere and they stop.

Yes, Kuwait is dull but if you're an adult and a scholar you should have enough to keep you busy with your teaching and research.  You can travel during breaks.

Overall, I've been very happy here and I have no trouble recommending AUK as an employer.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: