• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 9:03:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Olive oil and lemon juice for kidney stone problems  (Read 70082 times)
zoobie12345

« on: March 24, 2011, 4:52:59 PM »

I have been reading online about the use of olive oil and lemon juice to dissolve kidney stones and was wondering if any of the forumites has had a chance to use it to cure their problems or know someone who has had success with this home remedy. I am turning towards naturopathy as a means of curing oneself and was hoping to gain from other people's knowledge and experience. My stone is 8mm now and has been giving a lot of problems lately. Thank you
undisciplined
Shoes Always Matter to a
Distinguished Senior Member

Okay then.

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 4:57:13 PM »

I don't know but Mr. Undisciplined uses this for his gall bladder.

I recommend bourbon and bonbons for that.
zoobie12345

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 5:05:47 PM »

Did it help Mr. Undisciplined?
molli_sols

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 2:52:10 PM »

It's a bad idea that doesn't work.  Basically the olive oil and the lemon only make it to your stomach.  After that, alkali fluids released from the pancreas saponify the oil (make it into soap).  The little flecks they tell you to look for in your waste are just soap, not gallstones or kidney stones. 
undisciplined
Shoes Always Matter to a

Okay then.

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 2:55:24 PM »

Mr. Undisciplined claims it helps him.

I recommend bourbon and bonbons for that.
mouseman
Oh dear, how did I become a

The Validater/Validator-in-Chief

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 10:19:12 PM »

Just looked it up - the best treatment is drinking a lot.  As for olive oil - besides what Molli_sols wrote, fat is not passed through the kidneys, so it would have no effect on anything that's going on there.  In fact, lipids in the urine are usually a sign that something's wrong.

As for the lemon juice, studies were unable to demonstrate an effect of drinking low-pH fluids (mostly fruit juice) on calcium kidney stones (the most common type).  Some other types of stones may actually benefit from higher alkalinity.  On the other hand, anything that increases your fluid intake (and urine output) helps.

Another point is that olive oil and lemon juice is also touted as a cure for gall stones.  I am extremely skeptical about anybody who claims to successfully treat these two very different ailments the same way. 

In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
In the midst of his laughter and glee,
He had softly and suddenly vanished away -- -
For the Snark was a Boojum, you see.
                                                  Lewis Carroll
msparticularity

Assistant Professor cum bricoleur

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 12:05:04 AM »

MrP has kidney stones; he and his brother both tend to form the oxalic acid/calcium type. Our doctor was the one who recommended that he drink water with a teaspoon of lemon juice or so in it a couple of times a day, and it seems to have helped a lot. After having two fairly serious bouts of kidney stones around 10 years ago--with ultrasounds showing a lot of small stones forming in the kidneys--he hasn't had a serious attack since. (He did have one minor attack a few weeks ago, but it must have been pretty small because it passed with only low-level discomfort.) And, BTW, this is not simply a case of increasing fluid intake: MrP has always been very good about drinking plenty of liquids. What seems to have happened with the lemon juice is that the stones still form, but they stay smaller and just move on through.

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

"Be particular." Jill Conner Browne
mouseman

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 5:35:05 AM »

MrP has kidney stones; he and his brother both tend to form the oxalic acid/calcium type. Our doctor was the one who recommended that he drink water with a teaspoon of lemon juice or so in it a couple of times a day, and it seems to have helped a lot. After having two fairly serious bouts of kidney stones around 10 years ago--with ultrasounds showing a lot of small stones forming in the kidneys--he hasn't had a serious attack since. (He did have one minor attack a few weeks ago, but it must have been pretty small because it passed with only low-level discomfort.) And, BTW, this is not simply a case of increasing fluid intake: MrP has always been very good about drinking plenty of liquids. What seems to have happened with the lemon juice is that the stones still form, but they stay smaller and just move on through.

You probably mean calcium oxalate stones.  I looked a bit  deeper, and although lemon juice does not help kidney stones once they've formed, there is some evidence that high levels of citrate in the blood reduces the forming of calcium oxalate kidney stones.  Since lemon juice is high in citrate, it could indeed be doing what you report - the stones are smaller, and, consequently, easier to pass.  However, drinking lemon juice will not reduce the size of existing calcium oxalate stones, though lemon juice may help if the stones are made of calcium phosphate.  Neither will help if the stones consist of uric acid.  Drinking a lot always helps.

Lewis Carroll
zoobie12345

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 3:34:25 PM »

Thank you all. I am trying out the lemon juice olive oil drink. Let's see how well my body reacts to this treatment. Meanwhile if you have more information to add on the topic please post.
mouseman

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 2:40:05 AM »

You should first check out what type of stone you have.  Some develop in urine that is too acidic, and you may be making it worse by drinking lemon juice, and olive oil is also a no-no since uric acid stones are associated with gout.

I don't think it will help reduce the size of your stone in any case, though, as I wrote above, it may keep it from growing larger (if it is, as most stones are, made of calcium oxolate).

Lewis Carroll
msparticularity

Assistant Professor cum bricoleur

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 12:43:40 PM »

You probably mean calcium oxalate stones.  I looked a bit  deeper, and although lemon juice does not help kidney stones once they've formed, there is some evidence that high levels of citrate in the blood reduces the forming of calcium oxalate kidney stones.  Since lemon juice is high in citrate, it could indeed be doing what you report - the stones are smaller, and, consequently, easier to pass.  However, drinking lemon juice will not reduce the size of existing calcium oxalate stones, though lemon juice may help if the stones are made of calcium phosphate.  Neither will help if the stones consist of uric acid.  Drinking a lot always helps.

Yup--you're right! Just shows the dangers of posting about something without pausing to look it up and make certain to get the terms down correctly.

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

"Be particular." Jill Conner Browne
alkara

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 4:31:00 PM »

Just like to state that I recently began having issues with kidney stones to the point where it'd hurt just to sit, walk, breathe ,ect.  My doctor knows I do not like the hospital so he suggested 2 doses of LEmon Juice and Olive Oil 2 oz of each every day.  Seems to work for me greatly.  After the first day the pain is minimal and after the second its non existant.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: