• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 6:33:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  
Author Topic: Harbingers of Spring 2012  (Read 11319 times)
amlithist
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2012, 12:50:14 PM »

The mild winter has made my sage plant go nuts!  I've had it for almost 10 years, and I usually have to trim a fair amount of winter kill/dead wood out of it.  Before I could even think of it this year, though, it's gone crazy:  it's coming to the end of a fabulous nearly 3-week bloom (covered in purple blossoms), and it's almost tripled in size. 

My hen-and-chicks have gone wild, too--I leave them out over the winter, and while they usually die back and I have to clean out dead leaves and a few dead plants in the spring, this year they're just loaded with babies, and the main plants are growing huge, too.
melba_frilkins
Doing laundry.
Member-Moderator

« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2012, 3:17:03 PM »

The redbuds are blooming. Either I forgot how gorgeous they are or they are extra nice this year.

Light up the corners of your neighborhood with disco balls matched with dancing green and violet beams.
barred_owl
Elegant yet understated

« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2012, 3:28:41 PM »

And, another sure sign of spring from north of the Arctic Circle:  our local grocery store has erected a hoop-house in the parking lot and set out potted plants for sale!

...I can't help rooting for the underdog underbird.
brixton

« Reply #93 on: April 25, 2012, 3:52:02 PM »

Fresh peach stands on the side of the road.
gennimom
Somewhat Southern (Have I really posted that much?)

Let's get summer over with! Me want snow!

« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2012, 12:05:05 AM »

We saw people buying tomato and pepper plants that were already bearing fruit today. And it wasn't small fruit either.

...only after reading gm's post, my new mantra is "always listen to gennimom".
Monday reeks! - Garfield
The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a person (or something like that).
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  

Jump to: