• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 12:51:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ever contested a speeding ticket?  (Read 1740 times)
treehugger1
The unhasty, Entish
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2014, 5:33:35 PM »

I've started the on-line traffic school and have completed the first unit. I have to confess that I have not actually learned anything that I did not already know. I'm also wondering if this course will ever enlighten me on the one thing that I would like to learn (whether or not you have to stop for a school bus with flashing lights in the opposing lane of a divided, but not controlled-access highway. I've never seen other cars stop in this situation, but I'm not sure what is actually legally required. I'll probably just have to look this up myself.)  I also find it interesting that the exams (on which I need to get at least 80%) actually seem to function more as a kind of low-level test of intelligence, vocabulary and verbal reasoning than of anything remotely related to actual driving skills. Not complaining, since it kind of play to my strengths, but I can see how drivers who are verbally challenged might find it frustrating.

Not a member of the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement. May we live long and not die out.
aandsdean
I feel affirmed that I'm truly a 8,000+ post

Positively impactful on stakeholder synergies

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2014, 6:17:41 PM »

I've started the on-line traffic school and have completed the first unit. I have to confess that I have not actually learned anything that I did not already know. I'm also wondering if this course will ever enlighten me on the one thing that I would like to learn (whether or not you have to stop for a school bus with flashing lights in the opposing lane of a divided, but not controlled-access highway. I've never seen other cars stop in this situation, but I'm not sure what is actually legally required. I'll probably just have to look this up myself.)  I also find it interesting that the exams (on which I need to get at least 80%) actually seem to function more as a kind of low-level test of intelligence, vocabulary and verbal reasoning than of anything remotely related to actual driving skills. Not complaining, since it kind of play to my strengths, but I can see how drivers who are verbally challenged might find it frustrating.

True about the tests. Anyone with decent verbal skill can ace them without ever having driven.

Your stories here, though, suggest that your problem is actually paying attention when you're driving. The stuff you missed in the school zone should be obvious to anyone who's been driving a car for more than a few months. I speed all the time--I live in a wide-open Midwestern state, and grew up in Los Angeles where I learned to drive on freeways whose traffic flow was 75 mph against a 55 mph speed limit, lived in Georgia for several years and drove the racetrack that is I-285 at 90 mph with the flow of traffic--and the ONLY speeding tickets I've ever gotten since I was a teenager have been on rural 2-lane highways.  This after hundreds of thousands of miles of driving in most states in the U.S. in a variety of cars, in all kinds of weather, for over 35 years.

I have also never gotten a ticket for any other moving violation.

Why?  Because I know where you really shouldn't speed--school zones, residential areas, parking lots, and high-density areas--and where the safety arguments are essentially b.s. Plus, I stop at lights, make legal turns, yield properly, and signal when I change lanes.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 6:19:51 PM by aandsdean » Logged

Que scay-je?
kiana

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2014, 6:19:26 PM »

I'm also wondering if this course will ever enlighten me on the one thing that I would like to learn (whether or not you have to stop for a school bus with flashing lights in the opposing lane of a divided, but not controlled-access highway. I've never seen other cars stop in this situation, but I'm not sure what is actually legally required. I'll probably just have to look this up myself.) 

Varies by state. Google it for yours. Most states no, a few yes.

If robbers ever broke into my house to search for money, I'd just laugh and search with them.
mystictechgal
Happy in my "full, rich adulthood", and as a
Member-Moderator

One step at a time

« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2014, 6:32:49 PM »

I'm also wondering if this course will ever enlighten me on the one thing that I would like to learn (whether or not you have to stop for a school bus with flashing lights in the opposing lane of a divided, but not controlled-access highway. I've never seen other cars stop in this situation, but I'm not sure what is actually legally required. I'll probably just have to look this up myself.) 

Varies by state. Google it for yours. Most states no, a few yes.

It's probably also listed in the booklet that the State undoubtedly makes available for new drivers, whether getting their first permit or coming from another state. There's likely to be other stuff in there that's not on the test, itself, too. I'd imagine that you could pick up a copy, probably free, from your local DMV--might even be online. It might be worth your while to get a copy and read it. Laws change over time and you may find that some things you were taught (or came to believe) were legal no longer are, and possibly vice versa.

You must realize that a university cannot educate you. You must do that for yourself, although a college or university is the place where it is likely that you can study most efficiently.
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/chapman.htm

"Is all the same, only different" -- HL
treehugger1
The unhasty, Entish

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2014, 6:36:44 PM »

I've started the on-line traffic school and have completed the first unit. I have to confess that I have not actually learned anything that I did not already know. I'm also wondering if this course will ever enlighten me on the one thing that I would like to learn (whether or not you have to stop for a school bus with flashing lights in the opposing lane of a divided, but not controlled-access highway. I've never seen other cars stop in this situation, but I'm not sure what is actually legally required. I'll probably just have to look this up myself.)  I also find it interesting that the exams (on which I need to get at least 80%) actually seem to function more as a kind of low-level test of intelligence, vocabulary and verbal reasoning than of anything remotely related to actual driving skills. Not complaining, since it kind of play to my strengths, but I can see how drivers who are verbally challenged might find it frustrating.

True about the tests. Anyone with decent verbal skill can ace them without ever having driven.

Your stories here, though, suggest that your problem is actually paying attention when you're driving. The stuff you missed in the school zone should be obvious to anyone who's been driving a car for more than a few months. I speed all the time--I live in a wide-open Midwestern state, and grew up in Los Angeles where I learned to drive on freeways whose traffic flow was 75 mph against a 55 mph speed limit, lived in Georgia for several years and drove the racetrack that is I-285 at 90 mph with the flow of traffic--and the ONLY speeding tickets I've ever gotten since I was a teenager have been on rural 2-lane highways.  This after hundreds of thousands of miles of driving in most states in the U.S. in a variety of cars, in all kinds of weather, for over 35 years.

I have also never gotten a ticket for any other moving violation.

Why?  Because I know where you really shouldn't speed--school zones, residential areas, parking lots, and high-density areas--and where the safety arguments are essentially b.s. Plus, I stop at lights, make legal turns, yield properly, and signal when I change lanes.

Well, in my defense, I've rarely gotten speeding tickets either and certainly never before have I received so many in one 12-month period. Since I am still the same person and my driving skills have not appreciatively changed over the years, I can only assume it must be a matter of a) really bad luck or a b) a change in how aggressively tickets are given out or both. Or maybe  I have been a terrible driver for 49 years and the police are just now catching on. :-)

Not a member of the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement. May we live long and not die out.
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2014, 6:43:10 PM »

I've paid them, mostly.  But on one, the officer was standing on the street with no gun.  I called the justice of the peace, and told him I wanted a trial.  He said the officer was well-known to be out of control, and quashed it.  On another, I initially pled not guilty, then sent the DA a letter where I said I'd plead to 10 miles less if I could have no points applied to my license.  They said fine. 

Taste o' the Sixties
treehugger1
The unhasty, Entish

« Reply #51 on: Yesterday at 05:17:31 PM »

Guess what? I'm learning all about physics in my traffic school.

Not.

Verbatim quote:

... the laws of nature are physical forces that are with you whenever you drive. These forces include gravity, friction, inertia, kinetic energy and the force of impact ...

Aaaah. Make it stop!

madhatter
We proudly present the fora's Least
Member-Moderator

Just killing time

« Reply #52 on: Yesterday at 05:39:12 PM »

Guess what? I'm learning all about physics in my traffic school.

Not.

Verbatim quote:

... the laws of nature are physical forces that are with you whenever you drive. These forces include gravity, friction, inertia, kinetic energy and the force of impact ...

Aaaah. Make it stop!

Learn to drive responsibly, and it will stop.

"I may be an evil scientist, but it doesn't take a degree purchased from the Internet with your ex-wife's money to know how special and important you are to me." -- Dr. Doofenschmirtz
treehugger1
The unhasty, Entish

« Reply #53 on: Yesterday at 06:44:00 PM »

Well, do you drive responsibly? Just because you don't get tickets doesn't mean you're a responsible driver ... at least not according to what I read today.

Not only do responsible drivers not drive while distracted or drunk (duh), but they also don't drive when they're sick or under the influence of any extreme emotion ... including happiness. Seriously? Why are they saying this? I can guarantee you that there is not a single person in my entire state that has ever said: "Nope, can't drive home because I am tooooo happy. Honey, could you come pick me up. "

Have you ever driven when you're really happy? You irresponsible person you! You drove when you felt an emotion! OMG!

Also, you should *never* exceed the posted speed limit but always conform to the flow of traffic. Sorry,  I can't obey a logical contradiction last I checked.

madhatter
We proudly present the fora's Least
Member-Moderator

Just killing time

« Reply #54 on: Yesterday at 07:02:39 PM »

Yes, I drive responsibly, and I don't rely on ridiculous arguments from something I read on the Internet to try to make myself look better.

"I may be an evil scientist, but it doesn't take a degree purchased from the Internet with your ex-wife's money to know how special and important you are to me." -- Dr. Doofenschmirtz
treehugger1
The unhasty, Entish

« Reply #55 on: Today at 11:42:18 AM »

Yes, I drive responsibly, and I don't rely on ridiculous arguments from something I read on the Internet to try to make myself look better.

Do you honestly think I care how I look to people on the CHE Fora?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: