• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 11:13:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 229
  Print  
Author Topic: Welcome to the Fora  (Read 872406 times)
galactic_hedgehog
Procrastinating, Python-quoting, Blue Blazer-drinking, chocolate-chip cookie-eating, Pastafarian, Not So
Distinguished Senior Member

Mind Ninja

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 9:53:40 PM »

Modified to add:  Nice shirt, GH.

Thanks, Odessa.  It is nice, isn't it?

Jump right in, everybody.  There's all sorts of fun and games going on in Meet and Greet, or there's the serious stuff in the classroom, jobs, and research threads.  And some vice versa, too.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 9:54:14 PM by galactic_hedgehog » Logged

cajun
Spicy!

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 10:43:07 PM »

Hi All,

I'm relatively new, too.  Lurked for a while then joined in the fray when I was offered a TT position.  It's a wonderful and occasionally bizarre world here.

Poo-yi.
t_folk
Your mom's a

Put silk on a goat, and it's still a goat.

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 10:46:32 PM »

Hi All,

I'm relatively new, too.  Lurked for a while then joined in the fray when I was offered a TT position.  It's a wonderful and occasionally bizarre world here.

Cajun! Where you from, chere? I did some time in Lafayette. Heading back for a visit in a few weeks - looking forward to some drinks at Fred's (Mamou) and a plate of crab au gratin at Paul's Pirogue (Carencro).

When you pissed yourself in Frankfurt and got syph down in Cologne
And you heard the rattling death trains as you lay there all alone
Frank Ryan bought you whiskey in a brothel in Madrid
 And you decked some fvcking blackshirt who was cursing all the Yids.
 - Sick Bed of Cuchulain POGUES
sequoia_sun
code-bearing

threadualiscious

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 11:05:48 PM »

Hi All,

Fine, if I ever get offered a TT position, I will consider rejoining under a new moniker, not a changed one.

Sigh.

Greetings, earthlings...
cajun
Spicy!

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 12:06:42 AM »

Fine, if I ever get offered a TT position, I will consider rejoining under a new moniker, not a changed one.

Sigh.
[/quote]

I'm confused, but what's new?  I didn't change my moniker ... I didn't have one before.  I just read, but didn't post.

Best advice I had was to keep doing what you'd be doing if you had a TT job until you get one.  I've certainly had cause to doubt that advice over the years, but turns out it was right.  Good luck.

T-folk, I'm from a small town near Lafayette, so those are my old stomping grounds.  We get back there a couple of times a year to stock up on our two-step and zydeco and, of course, crawfish, although nobody's etoufee can hold a candle to my grandmas.

I assume you were at USL/UL-Lafayette.  (I try so hard not to call it U-La-La.)

Poo-yi.
msparticularity

Assistant Professor cum bricoleur

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 12:47:18 AM »

Welcome to everyone!

My best hint for the moment: if you want to post without raising any possible discord, it appears that you will always, always be safe on the food threads. The pet threads are generally also very safe, although you might possibly be called to account for your pet-parenting and decision-making - but food; you're golden.

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

"Be particular." Jill Conner Browne
pandora
Alas, it is time to relinquish the incomparable perquisites of being a

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2008, 2:54:46 AM »

Well, it's not entirely clear where I belong in this conversation, since I seem to have acquired the illustrious title of Senior Member, and yet I was recently rebuked by an impertinent sock puppet as a newbie.  As in most things in my life, I seem to fall between the clearly established categories.

In any case, friendly hellos to anyone who is newer than I am.  I think you will find that galactic_hedgehog is terrifically clever at finding things (and very stylish, too, we discover).  In fact, isn't there another thread for people who have lost things . . . ? they could probably use your particular talents over there, GH.

And don't read the "Rites of Passage" thread for another few weeks or so, unless you want to enact your own "spoiler."  Happy fora-ging!

Sarcasm is wasted on the clueless[,] Pandora :)
normative_

Check, please.

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2008, 7:01:01 AM »

I have noticed a number of new faces. Welcome, folks!

I take it most of your classes are done, yes?

Fortune favors the bold.

Quote from: mountainguy
Excellent analysis by Normative.
Quote from: tenured_feminist
All hail Normie!
Quote from: systeme_d
Normative, that was superb.
shambelle

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2008, 8:46:32 AM »

I was going to choose synchronicity as my moniker when I first joined, but since I use it in a few other places, I chose something else... but seeing it made me smile!   :)

I've been kibitzing ever since I started my job search in January.

I don't post much, but I love reading everyone's thoughts :-)

-- Sync
galactic_hedgehog
Procrastinating, Python-quoting, Blue Blazer-drinking, chocolate-chip cookie-eating, Pastafarian, Not So

Mind Ninja

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2008, 9:06:29 AM »

In any case, friendly hellos to anyone who is newer than I am.  I think you will find that galactic_hedgehog is terrifically clever at finding things.

Well, as long as it's not somewhere on or around my desk.

big_giant_head
Possible nun-shoe wearing

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2008, 9:11:49 AM »

In any case, friendly hellos to anyone who is newer than I am.  I think you will find that galactic_hedgehog is terrifically clever at finding things.

Perhaps you are blinded by the shirt...

carthago can haz delenda
galactic_hedgehog

Mind Ninja

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2008, 9:21:47 AM »

Perhaps you are blinded by the shirt...

Jealous?

yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2008, 9:26:36 AM »

Welcome, welcome all.  We are happy, well-adjusted people who love our colleagues, our students, our institutions, and our work.

Except for sometimes.

It's during those moments that I've particularly appreciated my fellow Forumites.

Now, to find a way to steal some of Walker_Percy's fresh mulberries....

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
reesespeanutbutter
Octoprof's chocolate-bearing minion and a

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2008, 11:26:17 AM »

[Reese's moniker gets cut off at Reeses Peanut Butt.]

Funny, huh?  I find it amusing, but maybe that's just because I'm quite easily amused.

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
hestia

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2008, 11:58:48 AM »

Are PhDs who now work in other areas of academe welcome?

"'What-ho! that absolutely whangs the nail over the crumpet.'"  Dorothy Sayers
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 229
  Print  

Jump to: