• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 7:21:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 2529 2530 [2531] 2532 2533 ... 3616
  Print  
Author Topic: The venting thread  (Read 4893098 times)
dr_alcott
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #37950 on: May 04, 2012, 11:05:38 AM »

Less venting and more nervous anticipation:

The Governing Board votes on tenure today....

Can't wait for the update over on the inhaling thread!

You must be your own snow, Dr_Alcott.  You must lift, and sparkle, and then melt away.

I love everyone here!
amlithist

« Reply #37951 on: May 04, 2012, 11:11:44 AM »

Bama Belle, I have a husband like that:  blue collar and thinks he knows everything I do wrong.  If he hates how little you make, tell him (as I have) to get off his sorry ass and make more himself.

Yes, "stress" used to be my middle name, back when I still cared.  Now, I more or less ignore it, unless he gets particularly in my face, a la someone's comment about the spatula upthread (in which case, were it I, that spatula would have gotten such a shove it'd be coming out his ear).
southerntransplant
A man on a porcupine fence and a

No recess.

« Reply #37952 on: May 04, 2012, 11:21:51 AM »

I love my department, but the university is nuts.

I have been in this situation twice. If you can mainly ignore the stuff happening outside of your immediate dept, do. Life goes on and if you love your dept, you can still love your job.

If, however, the higher level insanity is affecting you on a day to day or regular basis, it's time to polish up your vita.

Been there, done both.

So far it hasn't directly affected anything I do except for a higher service load and more paperwork crap to continually justify our existence to those who, I don't know, require this justification.

Howver, it is indirectly affecting me, since we are losing faculty and not getting any replacements. It's also had a chilling effect on our support staff.

I don't pick up stakes and move a lot - I had my last job 12 years - but CV polishing is a good thing to do anyway...

"...And on the other side of this wall is a whole 'nother studio that you'll never get to see...because, you know, fvck you guys."

Steve Albini, showing Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters around his studio
octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #37953 on: May 04, 2012, 11:31:20 AM »

If we can find a way to stuff just one more quarter in Octoprof, she's going to pen a Grammy-award-winning symphony and broker a middle-East peace deal.

I think the latter is more likely and it's not likely.

And, I don't need quarters. I need valium because I need sleep and the steroid have taken away my ability to sleep.

I wish that I could write a funny scriptlet on climate change instead of taking this detailed technical scientific multiple choice final exam on the same topic in 2.5 hours...

Love your neighbor.
amlithist

« Reply #37954 on: May 04, 2012, 11:31:57 AM »

I love my department, but the university is nuts.

I have been in this situation twice. If you can mainly ignore the stuff happening outside of your immediate dept, do. Life goes on and if you love your dept, you can still love your job.

If, however, the higher level insanity is affecting you on a day to day or regular basis, it's time to polish up your vita.

Been there, done both.

So far it hasn't directly affected anything I do except for a higher service load and more paperwork crap to continually justify our existence to those who, I don't know, require this justification.

Howver, it is indirectly affecting me, since we are losing faculty and not getting any replacements. It's also had a chilling effect on our support staff.

I don't pick up stakes and move a lot - I had my last job 12 years - but CV polishing is a good thing to do anyway...

I've only been in the "nuts department, school generally OK" situation. I wonder which is worse?  I'd think the former, just because it's so in your face every day, but I don't know.  And right about keeping the c.v. ready--you never know when you're just goofing around and come across something that might be a great fit!
marigolds
looks far too young to be a

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #37955 on: May 04, 2012, 7:08:49 PM »

Yes, "stress" used to be my middle name, back when I still cared. 

Perfect.

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
zombie_librarian

« Reply #37956 on: May 04, 2012, 7:50:21 PM »

My grandfather passed away this morning. He's been sick for a while, so it was expected. We're all coping well.

But.

The funeral is on Tuesday, the viewing on Monday. Seriously? Decay is not so much of a problem anymore; couldn't we wait a few more days? Less than 5% of the family lives nearby. I have one of the shorter trips. I cannot even list all of the things I have to get done before we drive 400 miles to a place where we might or might not have a place to stay. And it's not like we can afford even a cheap hotel. At least the kennel can take the dogs on short notice.
2much2do

« Reply #37957 on: May 04, 2012, 8:14:49 PM »

Calling it a "vision session" does not disguise the fact that this is just another interminable committee meeting.

Oh, please goddess, YT--tell me this isn't the newest edu-babble Flavor of the Day term we're all going to start hearing. I may have to poke myself with a rusty screwdriver.

At my last conference, they asked us to list our "learnings" from the morning's discussion.  I had to leave the room.

<gags just writing that>
-----Ka-BOOOOOOMMMMM!!----

<the sound of AmLitHist's head exploding, only because this sounds all too close to crap I've heard 'round here>
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

Whatever your problem is, it's probably my fault.

« Reply #37958 on: May 04, 2012, 8:24:02 PM »

I don't remember if I took my meds or not. (Like five minutes ago. Srsly)

I'm assuming this means I did take them.

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #37959 on: May 04, 2012, 8:29:13 PM »

This is why I keep mine in one of those things with days of the week on it, like a little old lady, because I can't ever remember.

Love your neighbor.
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

Whatever your problem is, it's probably my fault.

« Reply #37960 on: May 04, 2012, 8:31:28 PM »

This is why I keep mine in one of those things with days of the week on it, like a little old lady, because I can't ever remember.

I keep meaning to get one of those. Not only would it solve this current problem, but if I get one of the ones that split morning and evening meds then I will never be able to take the evening one in the morning, which I *almost* did the other day (which would have been bad, because those things knock me out).

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
anakin
Most snarkily lightsabered
Member-Moderator

Goes to 11

« Reply #37961 on: May 04, 2012, 8:54:16 PM »

I keep meaning to get one of those. Not only would it solve this current problem, but if I get one of the ones that split morning and evening meds then I will never be able to take the evening one in the morning, which I *almost* did the other day (which would have been bad, because those things knock me out).

Oh thank goodness it's not just me, I'm not senile.

There are few things more liberating in this life than having your worst fear realized. -- Conan O'Brien
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #37962 on: May 04, 2012, 8:57:16 PM »

Oh thank goodness it's not just me, I'm not senile.

Don't be a hasty Jedi. We are all probably senile...

Love your neighbor.
tigerseye

Formerly Seventhyear (and before that Sixthyear)

« Reply #37963 on: May 04, 2012, 9:06:28 PM »

For the second time in our relationship, I'm on the verge of breaking off with my SO.  I just cannot take the nonsense from stepdaughter, and I'm b****ing at him about it.  He's sick of hearing me b**** about everything she does.  I'm sick of supporting everyone and begin treated like a doormat.   if he's got to choose, he's made clear what his choice will be.

I don't know if I can manage alone. 

I have no idea what to do. 
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #37964 on: May 04, 2012, 9:47:58 PM »

For the second time in our relationship, I'm on the verge of breaking off with my SO.  I just cannot take the nonsense from stepdaughter, and I'm b****ing at him about it.  He's sick of hearing me b**** about everything she does.  I'm sick of supporting everyone and begin treated like a doormat.   if he's got to choose, he's made clear what his choice will be.

I don't know if I can manage alone. 

I have no idea what to do. 

*HUG*

You are the smart one in the house!  You are the breadwinner!  You have the coolest hair!

Don't let them run you down, seventhyear!

Love your neighbor.
Pages: 1 ... 2529 2530 [2531] 2532 2533 ... 3616
  Print  

Jump to: