• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 5:56:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 3615
  Print  
Author Topic: The venting thread  (Read 4892696 times)
vardahilwen
One of the cool kids
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: June 23, 2007, 8:37:38 PM »

Post your annoyances here!

Junk mail that you can't "unsubscribe" from.  ARRGHHHH!!

You can sit at my lunch table.
vardahilwen
One of the cool kids

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 8:38:48 PM »

Printer cartridges that cost twenty bucks and contain a teaspoon full of ink.

yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 9:41:22 PM »

The fact that I am a child of the 1980s.  The fact that I had no choice in this.  Nada.  None.

I tell my students, no retro-'80s garbage.  I lived through it, I was scarred.  Men Without Hats, Tears for Fears.  Hall & Oates.

Hall & Oates.  I hadn't thought of them in years.  I'm now going to go bang my head against a wall.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
cc_alan
is a wossname

Caution! Nekkid Zamboni driver ahead.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 9:48:56 PM »

The fact that I am a child of the 1980s.  The fact that I had no choice in this.  Nada.  None.

I tell my students, no retro-'80s garbage.  I lived through it, I was scarred.  Men Without Hats, Tears for Fears.  Hall & Oates.

Men Without Hats rock!

C'mon- "We can dance if we want to... we can leave your friends behind..."

Ah, good times... good times...

And what about Flock of Seagulls! Such hair!

Alan
Is someone going to nail me for being offtopic in this thread? What if I like something that someone's venting about. Be afraid... be very afraid...

Guess what? I got a fever and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!
vardahilwen
One of the cool kids

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 9:51:44 PM »

I suppose that was an anti-vent ;)

yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 9:53:26 PM »

Men Without Hats rock!

Alan

No.  Just--no.

I was saved from Flock of Seagulls because they were my cousin's favorite band.  The same cousin who once flushed my teddy bear down the toilet.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
aandsdean
I feel affirmed that I'm truly a 8,000+ post

Positively impactful on stakeholder synergies

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 11:05:31 PM »

Men Without Hats rock!

Alan

No.  Just--no.

I was saved from Flock of Seagulls because they were my cousin's favorite band.  The same cousin who once flushed my teddy bear down the toilet.

Yellow, I'm sorry but Tears for Fears is just not in the category of heinousness as Hall and Oates (who really had their heyday in the 70s, anyway) and Flock of Seagulls (which my friends and I referred to as "Flock of Birdturds" at the time).  Tears for Fears is actually kind of real.

Besides, "Everybody wants to rule the world" is the theme song of university administration.

If you think being a child of the 80s was scarring, you should have been in college then....

Que scay-je?
draco

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 12:18:58 AM »

Post your annoyances here!

Junk mail that you can't "unsubscribe" from.  ARRGHHHH!!

If they send postage paid return mail envelopes, stuff everything into the envelope and send it back to them.  It's funny how quickly businesses get the message when it costs them more.
kaysixteen

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 12:44:39 AM »

Ordinarily I tell my students that dissing the 80s  means an automatic no-excuses-accepted failure, and reinforce this by hypnotizing the class with my metal (fake gold polish long since faded off) 'Class of 1985' high school key chain.   Imagine a college kid today, who probably never even got to experience the Smurfs or fail to solve a Rubik's Cube.  I pity the fool.
vardahilwen
One of the cool kids

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 12:54:36 AM »

Ordinarily I tell my students that dissing the 80s  means an automatic no-excuses-accepted failure, and reinforce this by hypnotizing the class with my metal (fake gold polish long since faded off) 'Class of 1985' high school key chain.   Imagine a college kid today, who probably never even got to experience the Smurfs or fail to solve a Rubik's Cube.  I pity the fool.

I wouldn't mind bringing back '80's fashions.  Big hair and shoulder pads is a good look for me ;)

cc_alan
is a wossname

Caution! Nekkid Zamboni driver ahead.

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 1:11:01 AM »

I wouldn't mind bringing back '80's fashions.  Big hair and shoulder pads is a good look for me ;)

Ok. Now I'm getting the heebie-geebies...

Alan

Guess what? I got a fever and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!
vardahilwen
One of the cool kids

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 1:14:16 AM »

Ok. Now I'm getting the heebie-geebies...

Alan

I bet Alan would look hot in a skinny tie ...

gennimom
Somewhat Southern (Have I really posted that much?)

Let's get summer over with! Me want snow!

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007, 1:20:59 AM »

Everytime I hear the song, "1985," I get flashbacks. I think that was a good year. Not sure. I did graduate high school and start college. But lordy, the teenage years are ones I do NOT want to repeat!

...only after reading gm's post, my new mantra is "always listen to gennimom".
Monday reeks! - Garfield
The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a person (or something like that).
tenured_feminist

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2007, 7:44:15 AM »

Hey, any more Class of '85 out there?  Why don't the rest of you just Beat It?

You people are not fooling me. I know exactly what occurred in that thread, and I know exactly what you all are doing.
expatinuk
Has spent over 1000 pounds but now holds a Brit passport!

From SC living in UK ...on an adventure in Dubai

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2007, 8:36:00 AM »

Every time I see the Friends episode where Chandler has Flock of Seagulls hair I'm reminded that the kids today with the gelled hair will cringe when in 10 years they see pictures of themselves.

Expatinuk seems to be a Soviet Satellite in stationary orbit over the UK

It is what it is.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 3615
  Print  

Jump to: