Team Teaching and Dynamics

<< < (2/5) > >>

skeptical:
I would certainly have a frankconversation with this colleague and then follow up with an email. I don't think it's wise, at this point, to do anything overtly disrespectful in class. You aren't that sort of person, are you?

yemaya:
I decided to have an informal off-the-record discussion with my Chair.  I told him that I was merely seeking advice, rather than filing a complaint, since Chair has known Elder Colleague (EC) for some time.  Chair was sympathetic.  He made some suggestions, which included saying that it was ok to interrupt him right back.  Apparently, this course is supposed to be about modeling argument for students, and causing dis-equalibrium, but EC appears to be taking that mission too far.  Chair suggested that EC probably isn't all that dialed into thinking about how students react, and particularly the message that it sends when an older, male colleague, cuts off his much younger female colleague, etc.  He said that the behavior absolutely does need to be addressed, and that if EC doesn't get the message, he'd be happy to intervene and even get the Dean involved if necessary.  So I still have to try to have a conversation with EC (again) but at least I've got a clear indication that I'll be supported by the powers that be if the results are not satisfactory.

fiona:
Apart from boorishness, it could be that EC can't hear your voice. Many middle-aged men can't hear high or soft female voices, and it doesn't have to do with sexism, but with physiology.

Some younger, female-voiced persons I know find it useful to touch an EC's arm before speaking, to get him tuned in.

This is also a good technique with elderly men anyhow, as you'll learn soon enough.

When you have a conversation with him, look at him directly and see if he seems to be understanding everything you say. If he isn't quite hearing it, he may have a tentative half-smile, and that's your indicator that it's a hearing problem.

The Fiona

yemaya:
Quote from: fiona on January 31, 2013,  5:09:23 AM

Apart from boorishness, it could be that EC can't hear your voice. Many middle-aged men can't hear high or soft female voices, and it doesn't have to do with sexism, but with physiology.

Some younger, female-voiced persons I know find it useful to touch an EC's arm before speaking, to get him tuned in.

This is also a good technique with elderly men anyhow, as you'll learn soon enough.

When you have a conversation with him, look at him directly and see if he seems to be understanding everything you say. If he isn't quite hearing it, he may have a tentative half-smile, and that's your indicator that it's a hearing problem.

The Fiona

That's a good point, Fiona.  He knows he's interrupting me, because the times he did it, he was looking right at me and could see that I was talking.  But there are undoubtedly ways that I can take back "the floor" without resorting to tactics that may be read as "b*tchy" by the students, including your suggestion.

archman:
I deliberately torpedoed an interview when I found out that I would be team-teaching. Yea, team teaching can and often will suck that bad. Two professors in the same classroom at the same time... shoot me now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page