Team Teaching and Dynamics

<< < (3/5) > >>

fiona:
I've had good and bad experiences with team teaching. For me, it works best if the teachers each have a different turf. Teaching together at the same time tends to bring out competition. Alternating classes or weeks or something works better.

The Fiona

oldfullprof:
Team teaching is something I won't do.  And my two team taught classes when I was a student were awful.  I am someone's TA right now, though.

yemaya:
Oh wise, fora, my colleague is at it again.  He's decided that he's not happy with the current writing assignments and wants to add another major writing assignment.  I cannot seem to get through to him making dramatic changes to the class requirements a month into the term is just. not. done.  The time to do that was before the term started, not after the add/drop period is over.  If an assignment doesn't work out quite as well as you'd hoped, you change things up in substantive terms.  (Not that I will ever agree to teach with him again.)

literarylioness13:
Quote from: yemaya on February 12, 2013, 12:33:11 AM

Oh wise, fora, my colleague is at it again.  He's decided that he's not happy with the current writing assignments and wants to add another major writing assignment.  I cannot seem to get through to him making dramatic changes to the class requirements a month into the term is just. not. done.  The time to do that was before the term started, not after the add/drop period is over.  If an assignment doesn't work out quite as well as you'd hoped, you change things up in substantive terms.  (Not that I will ever agree to teach with him again.)

It's time to shoot him. I kid...I kid...

You might have to go to your chair about this guy. There is no way to bring in another assignment that far into the semester. You will have a student revolt.

yemaya:
Quote from: literarylioness13 on February 12, 2013,  2:05:52 AM

Quote from: yemaya on February 12, 2013, 12:33:11 AM

Oh wise, fora, my colleague is at it again.  He's decided that he's not happy with the current writing assignments and wants to add another major writing assignment.  I cannot seem to get through to him making dramatic changes to the class requirements a month into the term is just. not. done.  The time to do that was before the term started, not after the add/drop period is over.  If an assignment doesn't work out quite as well as you'd hoped, you change things up in future terms.  (Not that I will ever agree to teach with him again.)

It's time to shoot him. I kid...I kid...

You might have to go to your chair about this guy. There is no way to bring in another assignment that far into the semester. You will have a student revolt.

I completely agree.  And the students would have a legitimate beef, too.  The notion that you cannot change expectations after the term starts was something that I was taught years ago, when I was a first term TA.  I have no idea why an allegedly seasoned faculty member, with at least 15 years teaching experience under his belt doesn't seem to grasp something that a first year TA knows. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page