When to schedule essay due dates?

(1/4) > >>

derrin:
I'm teaching a 14 week course and there will be two essays due.  The seventh week is spring break and I usually don't like to schedule papers due right after the break (I don't like to "ruin" their break).  I can ask students to submit the essays on the Thursday after break (the 7th week our class meets), but would that also be too soon after the break?  If not, the essay would be due at the end of the 8th week of class, causing the final, long paper to be due a little over 6 weeks later.  What would be the best way to handle this scheduling matter?

biologist_:
Can you set the due date before the break?

dr_alcott:
When in doubt, one of my Jedi mind tricks is to schedule deadlines early (in this case, perhaps before break or the Tuesday after), and then, if it turns out that I can afford the time, offer an extension as the due date draws nigh.

anisogamy:
I'd schedule immediately before the break. That gives them the feeling of wide open expanses of time for their break and gives you time for grading.

seniorscholar:
Quote from: anisogamy on January 14, 2013,  5:56:07 PM

I'd schedule immediately before the break. That gives them the feeling of wide open expanses of time for their break and gives you time for grading.

Me too. And for the last paper in a semester, I have it come in two weeks before exam week -- again, for grading time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page