• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 3:07:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: circumcision=patriarchy?  (Read 25087 times)
madhatter
We proudly present the fora's Least
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

Just killing time

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2010, 10:48:16 AM »

Reasonable people can have arguments for or against circumcision. What I find fascinating is the subculture of anti-circumcision zealots whose passion for the topic is extremely creepy.

"I may be an evil scientist, but it doesn't take a degree purchased from the Internet with your ex-wife's money to know how special and important you are to me." -- Dr. Doofenschmirtz
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2010, 10:53:55 AM »

I saw one done as a nursing student.  Very fast.  I tend to buy the arguments that it's an anti-sex ritual with some deadening of the penis as a result.

Taste o' the Sixties
abuflletcher
أنا لست إرهابي

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2010, 10:58:05 AM »

I tend to buy the arguments that it's an anti-sex ritual with some deadening of the penis as a result.

And/or an attempt to somehow distinguish ourselves physically from "the beasts." 
aifos

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2010, 11:47:57 AM »

I have had sex (many moons ago) with men who were circumcised and with men who were not; I am not circumcised.

The foreskin of an uncircumcised penis slips along the erect penis easier; and the uncircumcised men I have been with have, generally, enjoyed playing with themselves much more - no tight skin that gets rashed without lubrication.

The custom - religious, cultural, social - is barbaric.  And groups who do it are barbarians, regardless of their social, religious or other justifications.  It is pure barbaric stupidity.  And there is no excuse for it.

My gay days were long ago in college.  I am now married and a father of a son.  And I went against custom in not having him circumcised.  He will enjoy his body.  His parents are not stupid slaves of barbaric religions.

End...
fishbrains
I've been called a [member], but never a

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2010, 12:02:12 PM »

I think when a man turns 18, he should be allowed to circumcise himself.

I'm trying to envision how many bench vises and how steady of a hand a manly man would need to circumcise himself. I mean, it's not really a procedure you can get drunk and do--like, say, taking a bullet out of your arm or something. :)

Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA,
Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet,
And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away.
It's okay: You can dare to be stupid!
~Weird Al
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2010, 12:06:14 PM »

When I was coming up, just about everyone got circumcised, and all the reasons people use now against circumcision are the same reason people used for circumcision back in the day. Uncircumcised guys were supposed to feel less sensation and get more diseases than circumcised ones. The only people who were not circumcised came from other countries or from the lower class.

Was my generation wrong? Perhaps so, but we were dealing with the information we had at the time.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
t_r_b
A mean, suspicious, hostile, bitchy, grumpy, nasty individual who is clearly not a mainstream American, yet somehow became a

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2010, 12:20:31 PM »

That all may be historically true.  But at this point isn't it just more like what side of the road people drive on in country X?

Exactly the same, especially considering how different driving customs lead to the needless mutilation of millions of infants' most sensitive sexual tissue.

Reasonable people can have arguments for or against circumcision. What I find fascinating is the subculture of anti-circumcision zealots whose passion for the topic is extremely creepy.

You want creepy? How about this: you, strapped down to a table, cared for by someone with a scalpel who doesn't like how your genitals look and isn't shy about modifying them. Try that, and then come back and we can talk about creepy.

Quote from: prytania3
If you want to be zen, then stay in the freaking moment.
Quote from: fiona
A lot of the people posting on this thread need to go out and get kohlrabi.
madhatter
We proudly present the fora's Least
Member-Moderator

Just killing time

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2010, 12:34:10 PM »

That all may be historically true.  But at this point isn't it just more like what side of the road people drive on in country X?

Exactly the same, especially considering how different driving customs lead to the needless mutilation of millions of infants' most sensitive sexual tissue.

You want creepy? How about this: you, strapped down to a table, cared for by someone with a scalpel who doesn't like how your genitals look and isn't shy about modifying them. Try that, and then come back and we can talk about creepy.

Yeah, this level of obsession is creepy.

"I may be an evil scientist, but it doesn't take a degree purchased from the Internet with your ex-wife's money to know how special and important you are to me." -- Dr. Doofenschmirtz
lolar2

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2010, 12:56:09 PM »

Strictly speaking, "creepy" would be bringing up the topic in threads that have nothing to do with genital cutting. Here, I think it still falls into the category of "on-topic."
abuflletcher
أنا لست إرهابي

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2010, 12:56:45 PM »

Oh, the humanity, the humanity!
aifos

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2010, 1:07:44 PM »

Barbarian
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2010, 1:09:31 PM »

Barbarian

I'm baffled by how you were gay in college, and how now you're straight and married.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
t_r_b
A mean, suspicious, hostile, bitchy, grumpy, nasty individual who is clearly not a mainstream American, yet somehow became a

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2010, 1:14:41 PM »

Barbarian

I'm baffled by how you were gay in college, and how now you're straight and married.

I know, right? Sexual experimentation behind the ivy-covered walls! Someone alert the Chronicle!

aifos

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2010, 1:18:02 PM »

Barbarian

OK.... this is off topic: but you asked...

Gay, Straight, Bi: lotsa rules.
It was the 70's.
It was Columbia.
It was a lot of fine weed.
And a desire for as much sex as possible.

30 years later: seen one penis, seen 'em all.
Lost interest in the scene.

Not denying an attraction to men; always there - as is what had been a dormant attraction to women.
But I met a woman with whom I fell in love; and a sexual attraction erupted.

Friends have asked if I do the down-low.
But no... I did do the bathroom stuff back then... And, oddly, have no problem with guys who do it: to each his own.

I just have a different stage now.

But I still do love men; and love being one; and sharing it w/ my wife.
Attraction to men?  Sometimes...  To my wife: always.

t_r_b

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2010, 1:22:19 PM »

Strictly speaking, "creepy" would be bringing up the topic in threads that have nothing to do with genital cutting. Here, I think it still falls into the category of "on-topic."

No, no, you've got it all wrong. "Creepy" is technically defined as "men daring to talk about penises in a serious way." "Non-creepy," by contrast, is shorthand for "men talking about penises only in jest, or in the process of trying to push them into something, or both."

Seriously, Lolar, get with the program. We are talking about important standards of masculine behavior that must be enforced. If we aren't vigilant, civilization will come crashing down around us, plus women won't be sure about whom to summon when they need to get rid of a spider.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: