Team Teaching and Dynamics

(1/5) > >>

yemaya:
I am team teaching a course with a much older colleague.  We are of equal rank, and both hold doctorates.  He treats me like a student in front of the class.  He calls me by a diminutive of my first of my first name in front of the class.  (So now he's called Prof. Douche and I'm nickname.)  He frequently interrupts and undermines me. The students do not respect me and I have no authority.  Aside from the occasional disciplinary issue, it's exceedingly rare for me to have this kind of problem.  It's only week two, and I think that his behavior has irretrievably damaged any chance of fixing the dynamics in this class.  I'm not sure what to do.

frogfactory:
Quote from: yemaya on January 30, 2013,  9:52:20 AM

I am team teaching a course with a much older colleague.  We are of equal rank, and both hold doctorates.  He treats me like a student in front of the class.  He calls me by a diminutive of my first of my first name in front of the class.  (So now he's called Prof. Douche and I'm nickname.)  He frequently interrupts and undermines me. The students do not respect me and I have no authority.  Aside from the occasional disciplinary issue, it's exceedingly rare for me to have this kind of problem.  It's only week two, and I think that his behavior has irretrievably damaged any chance of fixing the dynamics in this class.  I'm not sure what to do.

Is it straight lecture?  If so, you could try underminng and interrupting him when you see fit.  You seem like the sirt of person who would have determined a grown up chat wouldn't or hasn't worked out before asking.

yemaya:
Quote from: frogfactory on January 30, 2013, 10:07:29 AM

Quote from: yemaya on January 30, 2013,  9:52:20 AM

Is it straight lecture?  If so, you could try underminng and interrupting him when you see fit.  You seem like the sirt of person who would have determined a grown up chat wouldn't or hasn't worked out before asking.

It's a 3-hour time block, so it's a mix of lecture and discussion. I've tried interrupting back, but the guy 1.) is partially deaf and 2.) stands with his back turned slightly to me, so I really have to be loud to cut him off, and it rubs the students the wrong way.  And yes, a grown up chat is extremely unlikely to work with this guy. 

kshenko:
I have had my share of co-teaching disasters, so I can relate...

Trying to interrupt him, just to get even, won't help because this person seems quite determined and, besides, doing so is likely to adversely affect your students (well, more so than he is currently...).

If he interrupts you in the middle of your part of the lecture, though, I think it would be okay for you to go Judge Judy on him (nicely, of course).  Ask him to make notes and share them with you later.  If he differs with you in class, you should argue back and justify your statements.  You don't have to let it go, just because you are a nice person!

Also, why can't you simply ask him to refer to you as Prof. Yemaya or Dr. Yemaya in class?  This is a perfectly reasonable request, and if he refuses, you may want to get the Dept Chair involved.  Are you a woman, by any chance?  If so, this can be more about gender than age--for him to be calling himself Dr. Dumass and you, "Yemmi," discrediting you in the process, no less.

If nothing works, try calling him by the most ridiculous diminutive of this guy's first name you can think of in class.  If you are not confrontational and don't want to do so in class, then, when students come to see you during your office hours or in your emails to students, refer to him as such.

With this all said, I am not sure if this is just about calling you the name you don't want and discrediting you in class...  If he's bullying you, you should bring that up to the Chair's (or HR's, depending on your institution) attention.  GOOD LUCK!

new_bus_prof:
... A conversation with the other person.
... A conversation with the other person in front of your chair.
... The simple non-response to any name that is not what you want to be called.
... Refer to the other person by a nickname.
... Not to be in the class when the other person is there; you are only responsible for your class sessions.
... A video-recording of class sessions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page