• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 9:40:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Timing constraints, should I contact SC?  (Read 3777 times)
whenwilitend

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 6:38:38 PM »

I wonder if this situation counts as another one of those rare valid occasions to contact the SCC:

No.
Sorry for the hijack, OP.

Why not give them your cell next time, if it makes you this anxious to be out of contact?

Because I do not have a cell phone. And my question had to do with the here and now, not a future job application.
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a
Distinguished Senior Member

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 6:39:44 PM »

unnecessary and annoying. As if you're not going to be checking your home voicemail while you're gone? yeah, right.

I have never checked my home voicemail from elsewhere. It is culturally insensitive and inconsiderate, especially after being informed that I have foreign origins, to make assumptions and to pounce on my posts this way.

Voicemail has a culture?

Who knew?

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
whenwilitend

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 6:43:02 PM »

are you really that ignorant tinyzombie? Not all places in the world have telecommunication services as advanced as in the US. And my comment was directed to sugaree who was earlier informed that I am a foreign person.

OP: I do sincerely apologize to you for having hijacked this thread. I will refrain from continuing this conversation here in your space. Good luck resolving your situation!
glowdart
that's a thing that I keep in the back of my head

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 6:43:59 PM »

and regarding recent posts that suggest I hijacked the thread, I have noticed other people go on tangents on my posts and noone singled them out. As a person of color with 'different' ways of expressing things, I often get silenced outside in the real world. Why am I disappointed or surprised that this is also happening here?

I had debated started a new thread but thought my question was related to that of the OP's subject line.

You're not getting silenced; rather, this is what we do around here when we temporarily hijack a thread.  I'm not sure where the person of color aspect falls into this discussion.  There are, however, different degrees of meandering conversations -- some meander naturally; some are fairly straightforward questions (like the OP's here) which then are hijacked temporarily by another straightforward question.  Many of us will apologize for the temporary hijack when we do it.  You're not getting silenced.  

And in all honesty and seriousness, try to figure out how to check your home & office voicemail from afar so that you don't make yourself nutty with worry while you're out of town and awaiting an offer.   (And I speak as someone who only figured out how to check voicemail from afar myself when I had to go to a conference after an interview.)  
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 6:45:53 PM »

are you really that ignorant tinyzombie? Not all places in the world have telecommunication services as advanced as in the US. And my comment was directed to sugaree who was earlier informed that I am a foreign person.

It's called sarcasm. Learn to recognize it if you're going to hang out around here.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
sugaree
shakin' it since 2007 and only a

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 7:59:12 PM »

unnecessary and annoying. As if you're not going to be checking your home voicemail while you're gone? yeah, right.

I have never checked my home voicemail from elsewhere. It is culturally insensitive and inconsiderate, especially after being informed that I have foreign origins, to make assumptions and to pounce on my posts this way.

Sigh. WWIE, as you have been told on several different threads by several different posters, it is not okay to contact the SC just because you are anxious. This latest question was yet another iteration of that anxiety. You can keep asking the same question in different ways, but that doesn't mean that you will receive a different answer. My skepticism about you not checking in about your messages reflects your recent anxiety on these different threads. It was not meant to imply that you are somehow "lesser" because of cultural differences. Honestly, I don't even know where you got that?!

and regarding recent posts that suggest I hijacked the thread, I have noticed other people go on tangents on my posts and noone singled them out. As a person of color with 'different' ways of expressing things, I often get silenced outside in the real world. Why am I disappointed or surprised that this is also happening here?

I had debated started a new thread but thought my question was related to that of the OP's subject line.

You're not getting silenced; rather, this is what we do around here when we temporarily hijack a thread.  I'm not sure where the person of color aspect falls into this discussion.  There are, however, different degrees of meandering conversations -- some meander naturally; some are fairly straightforward questions (like the OP's here) which then are hijacked temporarily by another straightforward question.  Many of us will apologize for the temporary hijack when we do it.  You're not getting silenced. 

Thank you glowdart, I'm glad I'm not completely misunderstood around here.

where's the bourbon?
totoro
Friendly Neighborhood Troll and

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 8:16:12 PM »

One of the few times that it is appropriate to contact an SC is when you have another offer in hand.

I wonder if this situation counts as another one of those rare valid occasions to contact the SCC:

being away from home and work phone (only phone numbers listed on CV) for several days for a conference during a week when a decision is being anticipated.

Would writing an email and suggesting a better way to reach me if needed during that time, be considered presumptuous?

I can't see any problem with sending more contact information to an admin person there. Your only option for contact with the SC isn't through the prof who chairs it. You can contact a department or HR admin.... Still don't ask people there how the search is going, because there is no point. But if you have more info for your file, like this, I think that makes sense. And if you really have another offer contact the SCC.
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 9:11:41 PM »

One of the few times that it is appropriate to contact an SC is when you have another offer in hand.

being away from home and work phone (only phone numbers listed on CV) for several days for a conference during a week when a decision is being anticipated.

Would writing an email and suggesting a better way to reach me if needed during that time, be considered presumptuous?

I can't see any problem with sending more contact information to an admin person there. Your only option for contact with the SC isn't through the prof who chairs it. You can contact a department or HR admin.... Still don't ask people there how the search is going, because there is no point. But if you have more info for your file, like this, I think that makes sense. And if you really have another offer contact the SCC.

As part of the thank-you email I recently sent, I included the fact that I would be on travel during the time period that the search committee was likely to contact someone with an offer and wrote that email to arrange a phone call would be the best way to contact me during that time.

I, too, won't be checking the home phone while I'm away, my cell phone isn't something I check ever for messages, and Mr. Mer will be out-of-country during that time.  If someone takes me off the list for giving additional contact information, then I don't want to work there.

Be polite about getting that extra contact information into your file and definitely don't ask about anything regarding the time line, but, yeah, it's ok to send one email to update your file during the month between interviewing and the response.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
greatwendy

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 9:40:58 PM »

Thank you, will do that.

No.
Sorry for the hijack, OP.

Thirded.  Just check your voicemail regularly.  (And def give them your cell next time)

Thank you.
The current offer arrived a week ago so they actually gave me three weeks to decide. I am not very much worried about the upcoming campus interview, but more curious about the one I interviewed in late January.

In this case, I would call the SC from the Jan interview school and let them know that you have another offer and that you're wondering if they have an updated estimate on their timeline.  

It could be that they still have campus visits on-going; it could be that they've made an offer to another candidate; it could be that they're mired in HR paperwork... but this is a time to call.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: