• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 9:44:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 311
  Print  
Author Topic: Runners' thread  (Read 540639 times)
drnobody
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #2430 on: January 07, 2013, 1:08:12 AM »

I think running is what saves my sanity these days.

Me, too, TZ!

Sanity has always been my main reason for running. I've never entered a race of any sort, although if I read this thread enough, I might be persuaded! The Fargo half-marathon looks possible -- I'll have to give that some real thought.

Let me know if you do! It would be fun to meet other forumites, especially in the place of sanity (running) vs. the place of insanity (work).
macaroon

__/\__\0/__ Look out! Sharks!

« Reply #2431 on: January 07, 2013, 11:56:22 AM »

I think running is what saves my sanity these days.

Me, too, TZ!

Sanity has always been my main reason for running. I've never entered a race of any sort, although if I read this thread enough, I might be persuaded! The Fargo half-marathon looks possible -- I'll have to give that some real thought.

Oh, races are fun!  You should definitely try a couple!

I did a very fun one this weekend!  It was running straight up a ski hill - and then back down - before dawn.  They turned off the snow making, but turned on the lights.  ;-)

Some people used skimo gear! 

Here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0Wt9zSLO4S4#!

I want it!
zarathustra
Because the Chron says I'm a

Procrastifabulous by nature.

« Reply #2432 on: January 07, 2013, 1:41:54 PM »

That looks wicked intense, Macaroon!

I've noticed my CrossFit training seems to be helping me recover from my long runs faster.  10 miles was still pretty tough this Sunday, though.  :(

The Squishiest!
macaroon

__/\__\0/__ Look out! Sharks!

« Reply #2433 on: January 07, 2013, 2:49:24 PM »

That looks wicked intense, Macaroon!

That's not the race I did, zara - that's just the skimo stuff.  I did a little ~3 mile race up a dinky ski hill - only 1500 feet of vertical climb - in my trail shoes.  But I so want to do skimo.  It ain't gonna happen because I don't live in Jackson Hole.  I live someplace with 1500 feet of vertical. 

I didn't see any ladies in that video. Did you?  I think a penis is not required, although I can't say I know for certain. 
wet_blanket
Some kind of

« Reply #2434 on: January 07, 2013, 4:16:19 PM »

I tried to go for a run this morning but I couldn't get my shoes on over all the band aids.  It was perfect running weather, too.  Surprisingly, I was jealous of the runners out there.  I don't think I've gotten to the point where running is a pleasure rather than a chore, but maybe I'm close.

I think a penis is not required, although I can't say I know for certain. 

Maybe female entrants should bring those novelty penises that appear at bachelorette parties just in case.

Let us let wet_blanket have the last word.
lohai0

« Reply #2435 on: January 07, 2013, 6:29:01 PM »

It's not as exciting as the other accomplishments I read about regularly on here, but I manged to run two miles in 25:10 today. (I'm insanely slow. Even when I ran CC, I was usually about a 9:30/mile pace). My goal this year is still an Olympic triathlon, but I have a 5k, a 10k, a sprint triathlon, and a mud run penciled in.

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #2436 on: January 07, 2013, 7:28:43 PM »

Pout.

I thought 9:30 was fast (for me).

Just kidding. I'm working on speeding up, too. Yay, lohai!

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
drnobody

« Reply #2437 on: January 07, 2013, 8:22:54 PM »

It's not as exciting as the other accomplishments I read about regularly on here, but I manged to run two miles in 25:10 today. (I'm insanely slow. Even when I ran CC, I was usually about a 9:30/mile pace). My goal this year is still an Olympic triathlon, but I have a 5k, a 10k, a sprint triathlon, and a mud run penciled in.

I am trying to get to 25 minutes for two miles! I am close now that I am up to two miles, but I am also slow. However, we can only go faster from here! Good job! You ran two miles today. Lots of people just thought about it and ate Cheetos.
barcrossliar
I guess anyone can be a

« Reply #2438 on: January 07, 2013, 9:14:58 PM »

I am trying to get to 25 minutes for two miles! I am close now that I am up to two miles, but I am also slow. However, we can only go faster from here! Good job! You ran two miles today. Lots of people just thought about it and ate Cheetos.

Big time. 
No matter how slow you were, you beat everyone who didn't show up.

Every educated person's not a plumb greenhorn.

"where whining mendeth nothing, wherefore whine?"--R.L. Stevenson

+-LR is wise. Listen.
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #2439 on: January 07, 2013, 9:17:25 PM »

Big time. 

I went for a stubby little run that was probably more of a jog but I don't care. I got outside, and when the phone rang and my heart attack subsided, thinking it was about Mom just up the hill, I got a call from my best friend.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
copper
Ice Road Truckin'

Suckin' it up like Buttercup.

« Reply #2440 on: January 07, 2013, 10:34:33 PM »

I tried to go for a run this morning but I couldn't get my shoes on over all the band aids.  It was perfect running weather, too.  Surprisingly, I was jealous of the runners out there.  I don't think I've gotten to the point where running is a pleasure rather than a chore, but maybe I'm close.

Actually, it sounds like you have gotten to that point, but the blisters are obscurantist.

It's not as exciting as the other accomplishments I read about regularly on here

Sure, it is.  If you feel like it's an accomplishment, it is.  And that's exciting.

--Cu

"The most exciting things in life require more courage than we currently have." -- Jack McPhee, or whoever wrote the 4th season of Dawson's.
tenured_feminist

« Reply #2441 on: January 08, 2013, 8:39:16 AM »

Big time. 

I went for a stubby little run that was probably more of a jog but I don't care. I got outside, and when the phone rang and my heart attack subsided, thinking it was about Mom just up the hill, I got a call from my best friend.

That's great, TZ. I'm so glad you're able to get yourself out. Please know that I, like so many others, am thinking of you these days, and wishing you the best as you go through this difficult transition in your life. Peace, maybe not now, but eventually.

You people are not fooling me. I know exactly what occurred in that thread, and I know exactly what you all are doing.
pink_
Empress &

« Reply #2442 on: January 08, 2013, 9:37:37 AM »

Big time. 

That's great, TZ. I'm so glad you're able to get yourself out. Please know that I, like so many others, am thinking of you these days, and wishing you the best as you go through this difficult transition in your life. Peace, maybe not now, but eventually.

+10 to what T_F said.

crumpet

« Reply #2443 on: January 08, 2013, 1:05:26 PM »

Big time. 

+10 to what T_F said.

Y.E.S. You are doing an amazing job of trying to take care of yourself during a difficult time.

Hugs.
docmama

« Reply #2444 on: January 08, 2013, 2:08:27 PM »

Hugs, TZ. Be gentle with yourself.
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 311
  Print  

Jump to: