• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 3:46:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Choosing a smart phone  (Read 39599 times)
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

Whatever your problem is, it's probably my fault.

« Reply #150 on: January 07, 2013, 6:37:55 PM »

I still like my droid. In fact, I have had it longer than I have ever had any phone.

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
wegie
Unemployed & unemployable

« Reply #151 on: January 08, 2013, 8:48:34 AM »

I still like my droid. In fact, I have had it longer than I have ever had any phone.

Obviously CK doesn't think that Droids taste as good as crackberries, so he's not drooling on it!
nebo113

« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2013, 2:50:56 PM »

Are there phones/platforms to be avoided?
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #153 on: February 02, 2013, 4:39:58 PM »

Samsung Galaxy III is now the new hot phone. It's a Droid. It's supposed to be the awesomest.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #154 on: February 02, 2013, 4:58:28 PM »

Are there phones/platforms to be avoided?

Depends on what you want. The Windows phone gets really good reviews, but sales are flat and so hardly anyone is developing interesting apps for it. Same for the brand-new Blackberry 10. I'd stick with an Android right now. Go to the phone store and play with a few, see what feels good, then go home and read some internet reviews before you buy.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
nebo113

« Reply #155 on: February 02, 2013, 5:05:43 PM »

Thanks Larry.  I don't know what apps I might want.  I "think" I want a smartphone to act as a hotspot and to surf when I'm driving (pulled over, of course -- I'm not suicidal).  Right now, I have a jetpack and a laptop; they do the job, but I guess I want convenience, though I'm not sure it's financially worth it.

My step-daughter taunts me with $6/month unlimited voice/text in Russia.
arobertj

« Reply #156 on: February 02, 2013, 7:43:19 PM »

Droids are great. But the one thing I love with the iPhones are their picture and video quality. Much better than a Droid. But you can't go wrong with either one.
aandsdean
I feel affirmed that I'm truly a 8,000+ post

Positively impactful on stakeholder synergies

« Reply #157 on: February 02, 2013, 11:21:36 PM »

Droids are great. But the one thing I love with the iPhones are their picture and video quality. Much better than a Droid. But you can't go wrong with either one.

You haven't playedvwith the right Android phones. A number of them have excellent photo/video quality.

Que scay-je?
daniel_von_flanagan
<redacted>

Works all day. Posts all night. Needs sleep.

« Reply #158 on: February 03, 2013, 3:09:02 AM »

You haven't playedvwith the right Android phones. A number of them have excellent photo/video quality.
Though some are apparently harder to type on than others. - DvF

The U.S. Education Department is establishing a new national research center to study colleges' ability to successfully educate the country's growing numbers of academically underprepared administrators.
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2013, 9:33:02 AM »

Which ones, Daniel? I am overdue for a phone upgrade, but I don't want to give up my little keyboard.

frogfactory
Totally Metal

« Reply #160 on: February 03, 2013, 9:59:52 AM »

Which ones, Daniel? I am overdue for a phone upgrade, but I don't want to give up my little keyboard.

Too right.  Touchscreens have their place, but I think the pendulum will swing back in the direction of actual buttons before, perhaps, we wind up with physically morphing screens that generate actual buttons temporarily.

Haptic feedback? Yeah, right.

At the end of the day, sometimes you just have to masturbate in the bathroom.
nebo113

« Reply #161 on: February 03, 2013, 10:13:17 AM »

Tech savvy step-neb is suggesting a tablet like the Galaxy 2/3 or a Kindle Fire (you have to root the kindle fire and install a custom operating system, but if you do this, the Kindle Fire is the cheapest android tablet on the market. Stock, they are evil.)  because I would heavily advise against using the smartphone as a hotspot. Unless you jailbreak/hack the company knows that you are doing it, and they slam you with fees and charges. It is obscenely expensive. Also, with a smartphone you will have no illusion of privacy. They are coming up with programs that scan your smartphone, and then send you ads. Imagine walking through a mall, and having your phone going off "Nebo! We have a special sale on skirts! Come to our store and buy!"

What think you, foramites? 
aandsdean
I feel affirmed that I'm truly a 8,000+ post

Positively impactful on stakeholder synergies

« Reply #162 on: February 03, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »

Too right.  Touchscreens have their place, but I think the pendulum will swing back in the direction of actual buttons before, perhaps, we wind up with physically morphing screens that generate actual buttons temporarily.

Actually, my post was done on my iPad. The keyboard on my Galaxy Note 2 is considerably better and easier to use. I kind of hate the iPad keypad.

Frog, no way. Physical keyboards take too much space, and people would rather have larger screens.

Que scay-je?
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #163 on: February 03, 2013, 11:22:18 AM »

I have a Motorola Droid, and the keypad slides underneath the screen, so it's a little heavier but still has a full screen.

Actually, my post was done on my iPad. The keyboard on my Galaxy Note 2 is considerably better and easier to use. I kind of hate the iPad keypad.

Frog, no way. Physical keyboards take too much space, and people would rather have larger screens.

msparticularity

Assistant Professor cum bricoleur

« Reply #164 on: February 03, 2013, 10:24:48 PM »

I'm another slide-out keyboard lover--mostly because I want a reasonably-sized screen and a keyboard at the same time. This means I'm still waiting around for something decent to come out, and it's just not happening. Grrrr.

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

"Be particular." Jill Conner Browne
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
  Print  

Jump to: