• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 6:20:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 107
  Print  
Author Topic: shoe options for female faculty in the humanities  (Read 336775 times)
dr_prephd
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1080 on: January 04, 2013, 10:57:28 PM »

Oooooh. I don't like pink *or* pointy toes, but I'm kind of digging those. I can see why you caved.

I think they'll look great with black trousers.

The pink is not too bubble-gummy, and they look like they've got a nice fit through the widest part of the foot, which is hard to find.

I hope they work out for you.

ultreya

« Reply #1081 on: January 05, 2013, 8:27:25 PM »

Why did I just buy these shoes?
http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/194761

Um... what size are you? Because if you don't like them, maybe I can buy them off you!

This might be my favorite thread, ever.

greyscale
Monochromatic

« Reply #1082 on: January 05, 2013, 10:28:31 PM »

Er, so, am I becoming a hoarder or behaving reasonably?

Converse discontinued the Slim canvas hi-top. My orthotics are cut to fit them, and I love them more than the classic Chucks. This thread made me start poking around and I've found one store that claims to still have some in my size for $50 (who knows if their inventory is accurate).

Now that I don't wear them every day, I'd say a pair lasts 2-3 years. I have one pair in reserve, and just started wearing my current pair so there's plenty of life in them.

Should I buy two more pairs to last me into my 40s? Or will I have moved on by then? (Unlikely. It's been 20 years already.)
betty_p
Pissed off and wistful

Ooh! Piece o' candy.

« Reply #1083 on: January 05, 2013, 10:51:41 PM »

Greyscale, the pretty shoes are pretty (by which I mean GORGEOUS), but you must stock up on the Converse if they are the shoes that make your feet happiest.

Especially if you have orthotics cut to fit.

About eight years ago I bought three pairs of Minnetonka moccasins that I thought were going out of production. I'm still on pair 1, but I like knowing that pairs 2 and 3 are there for me when I need them. (Also: they're still in production.)

Yes, I'm totally a shoe enabler.

But I'm not bitter.
dr_prephd

« Reply #1084 on: January 06, 2013, 11:46:46 AM »

Er, so, am I becoming a hoarder or behaving reasonably?

I only think it would be hoarding if you were holding onto old pairs that weren't good anymore.

If you know you love the shoe and think you'll keep wearing them, I see nothing wrong with getting 2-3 more pairs if you can. I know plenty of people who wear Chucks into their 50s and beyond.

If you get to be 40 and don't want to keep wearing them, you can put whichever ones you haven't worn up on eBay and maybe make a little profit back.

Of course, this depends on the size of your shoe storage. As I am currently storing my shoes in every single room of my house, I am probably not a voice of restraint.

ultreya

« Reply #1085 on: January 06, 2013, 8:00:25 PM »

If they haven't been mentioned before, might I recommend Cydwoq?

http://cydwoq.com/womens.html

dr_prephd

« Reply #1086 on: January 06, 2013, 10:12:41 PM »

If they haven't been mentioned before, might I recommend Cydwoq?

http://cydwoq.com/womens.html

No. Will not click.

Damn. I clicked.

I have neither the need nor the money for them, alas.

zuzu_
Frakking

« Reply #1087 on: January 07, 2013, 12:51:43 PM »

Took a quick look at the cydwoqs. Many are cute, but those are WAY out of my league in price.

In other news, I just bought these. Combined a sale + ridiculous BonTon coupon ($30 off $50 purchase?!) + gift card and I paid $12.

I got the wine-colored patent leather: http://www.bonton.com/shop/shoes/casual/b-o-c-peggy-clog_294192.html?query=born+peggy

They are similar to Dansko professionals, but they are more feminine/dressy in shape.

While they are very comfy, I don't think they are five miles comfy, so I think I am still going to try some black Ariats next.
dr_prephd

« Reply #1088 on: January 07, 2013, 8:55:51 PM »

In other news, I just bought these. Combined a sale + ridiculous BonTon coupon ($30 off $50 purchase?!) + gift card and I paid $12.

You scored!

greyscale
Monochromatic

« Reply #1089 on: January 07, 2013, 11:20:21 PM »

There is hope for my career yet!

I was eagerly awaiting two things today: my shoes were predicted to arrive at my house, and my latest sequencing data were predicted to be available.

And... I was more excited about the data. I really, really, really want to start my analysis pipeline because I really, really, really want to know if my wacky hypothesis is correct. The shoes arrived, according to UPS. But I am still at work hoping the data might finally arrive. This is foolish, since the sequencer facility staff have certainly gone home for the day...
greyscale
Monochromatic

« Reply #1090 on: January 10, 2013, 3:32:54 PM »

I got the sequencing data and the pointy shoes. Both are very very good but not perfect. I think I'm going to keep the shoes though it's a big splurge and I'm not sure. They're awesome shoes and they're wide through the part where I need them to be wide.

People of my generation rarely wear flesh-tone nylons, but I'd really like to wear sheer knee-highs with these so my feet stay warm and I don't look like a purple-footed zombie (East coast interview). Sheer nylons: ok, or fashion faux-pas?
zuzu_
Frakking

« Reply #1091 on: January 10, 2013, 3:38:26 PM »

I got the sequencing data and the pointy shoes. Both are very very good but not perfect. I think I'm going to keep the shoes though it's a big splurge and I'm not sure. They're awesome shoes and they're wide through the part where I need them to be wide.

People of my generation rarely wear flesh-tone nylons, but I'd really like to wear sheer knee-highs with these so my feet stay warm and I don't look like a purple-footed zombie (East coast interview). Sheer nylons: ok, or fashion faux-pas?

Wear the damn knee highs. I can't stand the feeling of my bare feet in shoes, and I always wear some sort of hosiery. If you are wearing slacks, no one will notice the nylons. If you really feel self-conscious, look in a shoe store for those teeny sock things that just barely cover your toes and heel.
greyscale
Monochromatic

« Reply #1092 on: January 10, 2013, 3:51:46 PM »

Yeah, actually, I don't know why I even worried about it. Nerves I guess.
melba_frilkins
Doing laundry.
Member-Moderator

« Reply #1093 on: January 10, 2013, 4:16:32 PM »

Comments from Mr. Frilkins from over my shoulder:

"Shoe options, what kind of online discussion is that?"

"Those shoes are ugly"

"You don't need more shoes"

"You need to start a shoe exchange"

Only the last of those comments is remotely reasonable.

Light up the corners of your neighborhood with disco balls matched with dancing green and violet beams.
greyscale
Monochromatic

« Reply #1094 on: January 10, 2013, 4:21:14 PM »

I am extremely lucky that my boyfriend and my (male) best friend are both very supportive of shoes. In fact, they both have their own Fluevog habits. Nonetheless, I can't imagine they would enjoy this thread.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 107
  Print  

Jump to: